G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I am disappointed at my newly purchased 2003.5 G35 sedan 6MT.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am disappointed at my newly purchased 2003.5 G35 sedan 6MT.

I am disappointed at my newly purchased 2003.5 G35 sedan 6MT. The car has 14000mi on it and drives like new. At first, I like the torquey engine. It feels good driving it around town.

As time goes on, I find driving the car very boring. The steering doesn't provide feedbacks to the driver. It feels like it is isolated from the road. My biggest disappointment by far is the handling of the car. It lacks of communication and excitment.

Since I am a track junkie and I own a E36 M3 and s2000, my highest priority of choosing the right car is the communication between the driver and the car -- Can a car do what the driver asks it to do? If a car can't do what the driver asks, then what good is the car for? Unfortunately, that's how I feel about the G35. The G35 is no way on par with the E36 M3 and the s2000 in terms of the handlings. Driving the G35 regularly made me regret about the purchase of the vehicle. I thought about trading it in, but it is not finanical sound at this moment. I guess I will have to live with this bad decision for a while.

Don't take this thread the wrong way. Different people have different ideas and expectations. I am just expressing mine towards the G35.

If you have any suggestion on what might be a good driver car or a good G35 alternative, please let me know. I am open to opinions.

EDIT: The car comes with sport suspension and 17" wheels.

Last edited by yofool; 05-23-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your disappointment w/ your G35.

Since you say you're a track-junkie, and judging by your other cars....have you ever considered a Miata?

Sure, you might get alot of flack from your friends about it being a "girlie car"...but, as far as driving feel & communication goes, not even your S2k can't touch it.

A normally-aspirated one may not have much power, but sure is a thrill to drive! And, if you crave power, there's always the MazdaSpeed model. And if that's STILL too weak for ya, then do some aftermarket, custom turbo or supercharger setup & you'll be satisfied for sure!

I hope as more time goes on, you'll learn to appreciate your G more. Keep in mind, it is designed to be much more of a high-speed, freeway flyer rather than a track car. They (Nissan/Infiniti) tried to balance performance w/ comfort on this car...so, what can you do, y'know?

^-^

Old 05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you want communication with the road... I guess its YOUR fault that you are not getting it! Why would you get the Sedan? Get the Coupe 6MT with the 19" and VLS Differential if you want to feel the road.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's a shame the Miata has been labeled a girlie car. I bought a Miata new in August of 89 and the car has taught me how to drive the twisties better than my V8 Mustang ever could. If you've ever driven a Miata hard you'll realize the car handles like a go-kart and if you keep the revs up will provide you with enough power. I went to a indoor high power go-kart track Friday with a group of co-workers and guess who had the best track times...the Miata owner. : )

I just bought my AT G35 3 weeks ago and love the comfort it provides. Sure it's not the go-kart the Miata is, but I knew the car was more a luxury/power blend. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:54 AM
I feel you are judging the sedan too harshly. It's a larger, roomier, heavier, more comfortable car than either the M3 or the S2K, physics are physics and these vehicles are obviously designed to serve entirely different purposes. In addition, there are a great deal of performance parts that can be added to improve the cars already high (for most people) limits. Short of the smaller, less comfortable (at least for my 6"1 frame), rediculously more expensive 330i ZHP, I'm not sure of another sedan in this class that even comes close to the overall performance of the G sedan. I've probably driven everything in this class and the sedan will definitely be in my driveway (once they finish my new home in Oct that is) ........

Old 05-23-2005, 10:03 AM
mrb
If you don't like the G sedan, then by all means, M5.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I don't think you can expect the G35 to be competitve with the E36 M3 other than the straightline and in braking. The M3 is a purpose-built factory street-based racecar. Compared to the standard E36, it has completely different suspension tuning, steering box, motor, tranny, wheels, brakes, sway bars, bushings, and seats to name a few. The car is made for a select few that's willing to trade some comfort for the all out driving experience. The G35 on the otherhand is made to compete with the E36, not the M verison. The G35 is designed for the masses, not a select few. I agree that the G's steering could be more direct and offer better feel, but it's still pretty damn good. If you want the handling limits of the M3, then add some upgraded sway bars and some slightly wider 17s with summer rated Z/W rated rubber. I'm sure the handling numbers would improve dramatically. The car still won't match the overall "feel" of the M3, but it will change the character of the G to a more sporting nature and offer much higher handling limits.

As for the S2000, it's not even a fair comparion. Let's just end it at apples to oranges.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you have to live with it, mod it. Did you buy the sport suspension? Do you have 17" wheels? What do you expect? Put on some 18's or 19's, buy some tokicos or coilovers. Then come back to the forum and post. Day and night. Same with your tires. The stock 2003 tires are HORRIBLE. I hated the way the stock setup was, so I took it into my own hands, and now it is fantastic.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I know you are just expressing your opinion but I think you brought the wrong type of car!! it is a sport sedan and not a sport car... what you are looking for can be found in a s2000, a lotus elise or rally cars like evo, wrx sti... etc not g35. I dont know how you end up with a g35. All I can say is do your research....

Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Give it some time. The G will grow on you.
C.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I agree that stock non-sports suspension leaves alot to be desired for...

Solution:Swaybars and 350z Suspension which is going in this weekend.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:52 PM
why compare your two tracked cars to the g35 sedan? don't expect your sedan w/ lowering springs to be on par with your E36 M3 and s2000.....how much and to what extent are the mods on your tracked cars? like someonse said, the M5 right out of the box is better suited for you........or even a C06..

Old 05-23-2005, 01:54 PM
I agree with the Miata suggestions. A friend builds spec-miatas and sells them. I was suprised by how fast the cars travel the road courses. For instance, at Blackhawk Farms in Illinois, most Miata's are getting 1:26. I saw many Lotus Elise, a few tracked prepped 350Z's and a spaddering of other cars "superior" to the Miata and they were no better than 1:24. I was getting 1:33-:40 in my G (Mo practice needed!).

BTW, the sedan can hang with an E36 M3. Like it was said earlier, stiffer springs, sways and maybe larger rubber make this chassis come alive.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a Lotus Elise. Of course, don't get in an accident with it!

Old 05-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenius
I agree that stock non-sports suspension leaves alot to be desired for...

Solution:Swaybars and 350z Suspension which is going in this weekend.
As you can see from my sig, I have the 2005 sedan MT6 with the "sports" suspension and 18" tires. Thi9s is the best handling car I have ever owned. I will do anything I ask it to. If I add some wider tires, wow! I drove a loaner that was a standard sedan 5AT with 17" wheels and regular tires, Blaaahhh....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am disappointed at my newly purchased 2003.5 G35 sedan 6MT.