G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 G35 6spd Up-shift indicator (Rev)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 G35 6spd Up-shift indicator (Rev)

I am wondering if any of you guys have played with the up-shift indicator? and what was your experience?
My g35 came set to 8,000 rpm from factory, however, the manual states that it could be changed from 2,000 to 8,000 rpm. For maximum engine speed, 7,000 rpm is indicated and for maximum engine torque, 4,800 rpm is indicated. I guess 5,900 as a mid-point between the two would be best.
I am tempted to play with it but my fear is that I will mess something up since I don't have a clear idea and really have not read much in this form about it.
So your input is much appreciated.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Yes pretty much

During the break in i had set it to 4000 and now i set at 6400 rpm. When u approach the set limit it blinks asking u to upshift -- cool feature.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:16 AM
You won't mess anything up by playing with it. It's only a light that reminds you when to shift. Setting it at 7,000 is the redline, and setting it at 4,800 is the point of max torque. Personally I find it to be kind of a gimmick.

Since your car's new, I would set it no higher than 4,000 until you're through the break-in period. You could also set it even lower, to remind yourself to shift earlier for better gas mileage. A problem with setting it low is that when you're in 6th on the highway it's constantly on.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jlindley99
You won't mess anything up by playing with it. It's only a light that reminds you when to shift. Setting it at 7,000 is the redline, and setting it at 4,800 is the point of max torque. Personally I find it to be kind of a gimmick.

Since your car's new, I would set it no higher than 4,000 until you're through the break-in period. You could also set it even lower, to remind yourself to shift earlier for better gas mileage. A problem with setting it low is that when you're in 6th on the highway it's constantly on.
As the owner of an '04 6MT, I thought the new "upshift" light was a cool feature, too, if maybe somewhat of a gimmick - until I realized that it's pretty much necessary on the '05, since some "genius" at Infiniti decided to swap the speedometer and tachometer from left to right in '05. This way, your left arm blocks your view of the tach (while the speedometer is clearly visible since your right arm is busy shifting). Of course, that's just what everyone needs under full throttle acceleration with an MT that is somewhat notchy and tricky with the gates, to raise their left arm (the only one steering the beast) at WOT in order to see the tach !!

What the hell were they thinking ???

Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnes
As the owner of an '04 6MT, I thought the new "upshift" light was a cool feature, too, if maybe somewhat of a gimmick - until I realized that it's pretty much necessary on the '05, since some "genius" at Infiniti decided to swap the speedometer and tachometer from left to right in '05. This way, your left arm blocks your view of the tach (while the speedometer is clearly visible since your right arm is busy shifting). Of course, that's just what everyone needs under full throttle acceleration with an MT that is somewhat notchy and tricky with the gates, to raise their left arm (the only one steering the beast) at WOT in order to see the tach !!

What the hell were they thinking ???
Sounds like you hold the wheel TDC (top dead center) with your left hand while you're rowing. Although I don't shift, I frequently steer with my left hand and have none of the trouble you speak of. 10 & 2 doesn't block anything, or in some cases 10 alone.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:51 PM
raises all-in
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Sounds like you hold the wheel TDC (top dead center) with your left hand while you're rowing. Although I don't shift, I frequently steer with my left hand and have none of the trouble you speak of. 10 & 2 doesn't block anything, or in some cases 10 alone.
Ditto. TDC is for ganstas.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:44 PM
The dealer set it at 4000 for me when delivered, and I changed it to 7000 after 1200 miles. That said, I too typically block it with my left hand/arm and never see it. Guess I feel more in contol with my hand at TDC. Plus, if I'm taking it past...say 5000RPM (hauling butt)...my eyes are straight ahead and not glancing down at the tach. I'm still learning to shift by engine note/vibration so I don't need to take my eyes off what's appearing rapidly in my windshield.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
I double-checked, just to be sure - I hold it more like 11 on the wheel, but regardless, some blockage occurs at 10 anyway, at least in my field of vision, with my height, driving position, etc. Aren't many cars out there with MT transmissions that have the tach on the left side, guys - check it out.

Gangsta? Wish you'd been trying to follow me up Hwy 88 to Tahoe last week -you'd need both hands and a clear view of the tach to keep me in sight - I have never been accused of being a "laid back" driver, fellas, much less a "gangsta" (although I could be the first in your neighborhood with "spinnas" on a "G", eh?).

Last edited by dbarnes; 05-25-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:23 PM
The thing I DON'T like about the up-shift indicator is that the word "rev" is always iluminated on. That should go out when you're not in a situation where you need to shift.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I double-checked, just to be sure - I hold it more like 11 on the wheel, but regardless, some blockage occurs at 10 anyway, at least in my field of vision, with my height, driving position, etc. Aren't many cars out there with MT transmissions that have the tach on the left side, guys - check it out.
dbarnes,

No hassle intended, but I thought that with the advent of Airbags that no longer are the 10:00 and 2:00 positions advocated, but rather 9:00 and 3:00??

That said, my Driver Ed was nearly fifty years ago and I'm lucky to find the "Necking ****" on my steering wheel.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:10 PM
... Infiniti decided to swap the speedometer and tachometer from left to right in '05. ...
This reminds me of an old argument that many of us that were into vintage British cars had. (Specifically my 1956 TR-3's.)

The Shop Manual shows the car configured for the British Right hand drive. Of course, the car was also built with left hand drive for export to the USA and elsewhere. If one went to a car show, you'd see the left hand drive cars with the Tach and Speedometer sometimes in one configuration and sometimes swapped. The arguments as to what the Brits actually exported in 1956 were argued long and fiercely, but never resolved.

As to driving with the two configurations, most of us would never be looking at either as generally we knew when to shift based on a combination of "feel" and "sound" - coupled with experience on that particular car.

It is hard to get caught up with some issues when on the road when you have but one centered stop light and brakes and a clutch that share the same fluid reservoir.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg
This reminds me of an old argument that many of us that were into vintage British cars had. (Specifically my 1956 TR-3's.)

The Shop Manual shows the car configured for the British Right hand drive. Of course, the car was also built with left hand drive for export to the USA and elsewhere. If one went to a car show, you'd see the left hand drive cars with the Tach and Speedometer sometimes in one configuration and sometimes swapped. The arguments as to what the Brits actually exported in 1956 were argued long and fiercely, but never resolved.

As to driving with the two configurations, most of us would never be looking at either as generally we knew when to shift based on a combination of "feel" and "sound" - coupled with experience on that particular car.

It is hard to get caught up with some issues when on the road when you have but one centered stop light and brakes and a clutch that share the same fluid reservoir.
Aaah, the wind in your hair and the bugs in your teeth .. nothin' like a British sports car. We've got a '77 MGB (POS w/rubber bumpers and the special "no horsepower" smog motor) my wife bought new the day I met her in '77, and I've had a TR4 and a TR6 too! Wrapped a '68 MGB around a tree shortly before meeting my wife.

Sorry we hijacked the thread - back to the subject, I wouldn't mind having a "shift" light in my "G", if it's programmable like they say. Pretty good idea, IMHO.

Carry On ...........

Old 05-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Not a gimmick

Originally Posted by jlindley99
I have to disagree. having come from a Saab that had no tuning feature on their shift light, I like the tuning.

For break in, setting at 4k was very handy.

I may turn it off later, but for now I like it.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:05 PM
I changed it today from 8,000 factory set-up to 5,800 and it has truely changed the car feel. l love it. Although I am aware of "expectancy effect" however, I don't think that's the case.
Would it be okay to have it set to 5,800 during my break-in period?
and what is up with the break-in period? I think it should be eliminated. It's 2005 for God's sake no break-in period for cars should be needed

Old 05-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Set it at whatever you want during the break-in period - just don't exceed 4000RPM if you want to follow what the manual says.

What you do during break-in is up to you. I'm a follow-the-manual guy for the most part, but others here will tell you differently.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 G35 6spd Up-shift indicator (Rev)