G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

To RainX or not to RainX...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To RainX or not to RainX...

When I picked up my new G a couple of weeks ago, it looked like it had some kind of rainx on the winshield. I have only had 1 bad experience on a pickup truck where rainx made the wipers hop really bad.
Now that whatever they had on is starting to wear off, I get a little hop on the wipers.
Anyone have any experience with it on the sedan?

Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I use rainX on both my vehicles and don't have a problem with wiper hop...

Old 05-31-2005, 07:44 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love rainX too and have used it for many years. Never caused any wiper hopping.
I'd say whatever is on your windshield isn't rainX and needs to be cleaned off b4 applying the good stuff.
C.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
I use rainX on both my vehicles and don't have a problem with wiper hop...
Ditto here, no issues. Perhaps the wipers are just bad and the rain x compensated for it?

I do notice that Rain X does such a good job, that when it does start to wear off you really realize how great it is. Some guys that have roadsters or older cars without windsheilds have to get by on just Rain X, works pretty good I hear (in a pinch).

Old 05-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Wipers bad on a car with only 400 miles on it, I think not.

I had bad wiper hop on my truck, because of the angle of the winshield and the angles of the wipers. Used toothpaste to get it off.
I will give it another shot. By the way, rainx is a great way to prevent spotting on your windows from acid rain.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM
My car also had some type of windsheild water repellant applied to it before I picked it up. Not sure what it was, but after about a month, the wipers started to hop. I replaced the wipers with PIAA blades and applied RainX to all the windows. I use RainX on both my vehicles and never had issues with wiper hop.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Yea, I'm not a fan of "rainx" products.

Partly because of wiper hop, which only seems to happen after the stuff starts to wear off a little. If you keep your "rainx" new and fresh, it's not really a problem. It seems partly due to the wiper blades...teflon blades hop really bad on rainx'd windows. Other types of rubber hop less.

Other reasons I don't like rainx (and similar products)...

Once it's on, it NEVER comes off, not completely.

It oozes off the windows and onto the paint, leaving oily looking marks. (like the dealer rainx'd my sunroof, now every time I drive in the rain, I get streaks all across my roof)

To me, it's not any better than a clean window and good wiper blades.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:10 AM
I second imnohero about rainx. Personally, after using a good car soap and cleaning the window with Invisible Glass, my windshield beads like it had rainx on it. My wipers wipe like the first day I bought it. I use to use rainx and even wax my windshield, but I've realized (from my experience) that a clean windshield with minimal protection is all that is needed. But then again, I wash my car every opportunity I have.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
for some reason, I dont like rainX... It doesnt leave the windows really clean like just using Stoner.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I use RainX on my cars as well. I think people with bad experiences mis-applied the product. It clearly states, "DO NOT TAUNT..." ahem

You've got to let it haze up and then buff it clear *just* right. If you don't buff it properly you'll get streaks. It took me about a half hour to buff out all the streaks, but it was worth it. Driving at 30 mph, the windshield clears itself of all moisture.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 PM
I've had bad experiences with the original RainX, because it takes a while to buff off and remove all the streaks. So now I use the RainX that goes directly into the wiper washer reservoir.

If you really want something that beads, I also use Zaino polish and polish the whole car (paint, windows, black, rubber, everything). But this should be reserved for the Detailing section.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
RainX works great. Like it has been stated before, you need to buff it out quite well. I can't remember the last time I have had to use my wipers.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by nate
Some guys that have roadsters or older cars without windsheilds have to get by on just Rain X, works pretty good I hear (in a pinch).

Why do they need Rain-X if they don't even have a windshield?? j/k

Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 PM
I used to use RainX, then waxed my glass using the Pro Fast Track, then my friend sampled me this one from Car Brite:

http://www.carbrite.com/servlet/net..../E008T&lb=none

This is pretty cool. About the same as RainX, but damn more expensive, but I notice the water repels off easier at 35mph than RainX at 45mph with no wind. Then when you wash your car, there is very little water left on the glass. Buffing to get the white streaks off is a b*stard though. But hey, we didn't get our G's to not be pampered right? Later.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Oh, and don't put too much RainX on thinking that it will work better because it will leave white crud spots all over your windshield if there is water on it and it dries.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To RainX or not to RainX...