G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Stillen X cat-back install pics...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2005 | 03:39 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Great job JBX (and son), looks clean. YOu may find that the noise will increse after some time breaking in the system.

C.

Old 06-13-2005 | 03:41 PM
The system looks very nice. It does look like it fits perfectly and the pipes look purity I do have some concerns though:

1) The Stillen setup doesn't have flex sections in the Y-pipe like OEM. The flex sections are there to stop minor engine vibrations from entering the cabin and pedals and to reduce torsional twist on the exhaust manifolds under severe load. Not having the flex sections can increase NVH and potentially cause an exhaust leak at the head.

2) The Stillen dual catback is known for some pretty severe part-throttle droning, especially with the autos. Do you notice this?

3) The dynoed power increase (~8whp) seems to be pretty minimal for the price paid.

Old 06-13-2005 | 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by aam6906
does anyone know if it makes the cel come on or anything like that?
It shouldn't. No sensors or emissions devices have been tampered with.

Old 06-14-2005 | 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
The system looks very nice. It does look like it fits perfectly and the pipes look purity I do have some concerns though:

1) The Stillen setup doesn't have flex sections in the Y-pipe like OEM. The flex sections are there to stop minor engine vibrations from entering the cabin and pedals and to reduce torsional twist on the exhaust manifolds under severe load. Not having the flex sections can increase NVH and potentially cause an exhaust leak at the head.

2) The Stillen dual catback is known for some pretty severe part-throttle droning, especially with the autos. Do you notice this?

3) The dynoed power increase (~8whp) seems to be pretty minimal for the price paid.
Dave,

Some interesting points. I detect the part throttle droning but it's acceptable to my ear. Cabin noise is not bad. I think it would be much worse under full load though. All in all I think that for us X's the combo of coupe midpipe and HKS or Stillen rear was worse. To me the exhaust note has the same tone as the HKS rear with the OEM midpipe. Italian sports car type. As far as gains, I'll take ~8whp for the $. Not easy for bolt-on gains when you're fighting an ECU that needs to be shipped to Japan for flash (Technosquare).

Thanks,

Paul

Also no cels thrown after install.

Old 06-14-2005 | 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Xman
Dave,

Some interesting points. I detect the part throttle droning but it's acceptable to my ear. Cabin noise is not bad. I think it would be much worse under full load though. All in all I think that for us X's the combo of coupe midpipe and HKS or Stillen rear was worse. To me the exhaust note has the same tone as the HKS rear with the OEM midpipe. Italian sports car type. As far as gains, I'll take ~8whp for the $. Not easy for bolt-on gains when you're fighting an ECU that needs to be shipped to Japan for flash (Technosquare).

Thanks,

Paul
Do you notice any additional vibration with the exhaust? I'd love to hear and ride in a G with this exhaust. I'm sure it sounds very sweet.

Old 06-14-2005 | 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Do you notice any additional vibration with the exhaust? I'd love to hear and ride in a G with this exhaust. I'm sure it sounds very sweet.
The vibration I think you're talking about is minimal. When I cut the engine off there's just a small hint of vibration. Damn, I've got everything in this house except a freakin' tape recorder!

Old 06-14-2005 | 01:53 AM
lots of good info and lots of questions in this thread... My two cents:

I got the previous version on my 04 sedan, thought it would be much louder but it's not bad at all - I really like it. The new version (from what I understand) is a little quieter. Either one will be quite a bit louder than stock because you don’t have the obnoxiously huge resonator.

The drone that everyone fears is not bad (to my ears)... as far as HP gains, I dyno'd at Stillen day 241 at the wheels which should translate to about 277 at the crank which is 17 more than stock (on the 04). I also have Stillen CAI so I'm not sure what the exhaust alone will run.

I highly recommend to anyone considering it. I have been very happy! BTW, Technosquare (for ECU re-map) is not in Japan (as someone previously posted), they are in Torrance, CA (near LA) - it's one of the next things I plan to do after plenum spacer and a couple of other things.

Old 06-14-2005 | 01:54 AM
The vibration I think you're talking about is minimal. When I cut the engine off there's just a small hint of vibration. Damn, I've got everything in this house except a freakin' tape recorder!
If installed correctly there should be no "vibration" to speak of - other than the throaty growl... no metal to metal or anything.

Old 06-14-2005 | 07:19 AM
|
Misanthropic nut-cracker
The only vibration that I've picked up is actually from the "alummie" pedals I put in the other day. I got a LITTLE buzz through the gas pedal so I just added a bigger piece of rubber and affixed it with silicone adhesive. With all the "solid "Y" pipes out there I haven't heard of many/any exhaust head leaks.....and I did a lot of research being the very **** German that I am lol. Power increase is VERY noticable in the low to mid RPM range where it was sorely lacking before. I've let several other "G" drivers take it out for a run....all confirming what my "butt'o'meter" tells me. If it's only 8 rwhp I'll be SHOCKED ....but, Ill take it. I've put many years into racing and have a good sense of actual power gains (not ego gains.. lol) and I certainly feel a good bit more grunt AND a much DEEPER exhaust note (as somebody put it...much more "EURO" sounding) DaveB, ya know I respect (and seek out) your opinions. And, I also know you don't care much for bolt on power products as you've previously mentioned and made a GOOD case for. But, I wish you had access to this mod and had the chance to check it out so that you could measure it against my " I just spent $900. enthusiasm" vs. the DaveB reality check...lol. Seriously, I like the mod (unlike others I've done) and am sure most will feel the same way. I guess I could put the flex joint into the X at a later date (I saved my old "Y" pipe) if needed, but I just can't see it happening. We'll see.....but, in the meantime..... I luv it! ( AND, selling my old system made it a LITTLE less painful) JBX

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 06-14-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2005 | 07:48 AM
Impressive writeup. Pictures and fitment look excellent! I'm just concerned about noise. I hate drone. The factory exhaust on my 05 already has a throaty sound to it when cruising. It isn't bad, but its' there. I don't mind a sporty sound when cruising around the streets, but highway droning is a nuisance. I have to find someone nearby with this exhaust so that I can sit in/drive the car to get a real sense of noise levels. I think that this exhaust, along with a plenum spacer, the crawford plenum, or the new Kinetix plenum(with the spiffy new engine cover!) would make the car come alive for sure! Definitely get us 280hp 05 guys in the 300hp+ range. Not bad at all!

Last edited by RichK; 06-14-2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2005 | 08:49 AM
|
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Rich, ya gotta check out the new APS "Tall Boy" plenum (http://www.aps-wrx.com/350z/plenum/plenum.htm)! It's frigg'n BEAUTIFUL and is now available!!! Not cheap, but looks 100% better than anything currently out there, and everthing that APS puts out is 'Top O' Line' looks and function-wise. If ya can make it to Raceway Park (http://www.racewaypark.com/), Enlishtown, NJ. 6/25/05 for the Nissan/Infiniti "Z DAYS" I'll be glad to let you drive my G to get a good idea what to expect from the Stillen as far as sound and performance goes....cool? I get the feeling, however, that you may not like the sound if you feel the OEM is on the edge. Whatever the case, you're more than welcome to check mine out JBX

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 06-14-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2005 | 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
BTW, Technosquare (for ECU re-map) is not in Japan (as someone previously posted), they are in Torrance, CA (near LA) - it's one of the next things I plan to do after plenum spacer and a couple of other things.
FYI - I called technosquare out in CA, for some reason the ECU for the G35x has to be sent to Japan for reprogram (2 weeks). They can do the RWD sedan no problem in Torrence.

Old 06-14-2005 | 12:15 PM
Lip
FYI - I called technosquare out in CA, for some reason the ECU for the G35x has to be sent to Japan for reprogram (2 weeks). They can do the RWD sedan no problem in Torrence.
Why Japan? Assuming they can modify any other G ECU, shouldn't they be able to modify the G35x ? Is there another vendor?
Additionally, what benefits are seen from modifying the ECU Mapping after reducing back preasure- Is this necessary due to a limitation with the Mass Air units in these cars?
Thanks.

Old 06-14-2005 | 02:57 PM
I don't know why they need to send out to Japan, but yes, I'm wondering if I'm running lean with the plenum and exhaust combo?

Old 06-14-2005 | 06:29 PM
JustBrillianX, thanks for the offer to drive the car. I'm not sure I am gonna make it there since it seems the only thing I do lately is work. A few freinds that have 350s want me to tag along, so I am not sure if it is gonna happen. If I do make it, I'll look for your car. I am definitely gonna check out that APS plenum. Seems the only thing missing now is shocks for the X. I wish Tokico would just make D Specs for us X owners. As soon as they do that, I am getting my H techs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Stillen X cat-back install pics...