G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Have you been locked out of car???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is pretty funny.

I can only add this: Many municipalities are passing laws making it illegal to leave your car running and unattended, for obvious reasons.

I've never locked my keys in a car, but I do lots of other stupid things, so I expect it sort of evens out.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:21 PM
My G does not have auto lock feature -- is that something extra in Premium B with intell key ...

Old 06-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Car Wash

My car locked mysteriously after the car wash attendant drove it off the end of the line and I was stuck with no key. They said "it happens" occasionaly with different cars. It was in neutral with the engine off so they pushed it out of the way and chocked the wheels.

I had to call a business associate to come get me and take me home to get an extra car key. I was lucky I keep my house key on a separate fob.

Anyway, the car wash manager accused me of having locked the doors. I said How could I have done that when I got out of the car at the vacuum and their guy subsequently got in, drove it to the wash track, got out, and another guy of theirs got in again at the end to drive it to the drying area. The ___________ didn't even offer me a free wash.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Didn't you guys get the key in the credit card size holder, that allows the doors to be unlocked but not start the engine? I've never locked myself out yet, but I keep that key in my wallet in all the time.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lesson is to carry the spare in your wallet. One time I stupidly locked my key in the back trunk at work. I then called one of those pop a lock service and got the doors opened. Unfortunately, the trunk release button inside the car did not work because I entered the car without using the keys. Then I thought that maybe I could drop down the back seats and get the keys that way. Ah ha problem solved! WRONG! Our cars don't have a release lever inside the car to drop down the seats. However there is a lever in the trunk but that was of no use to me. I had to call my brother to pick me up and then drive me an hour away home to pick up my spare. Waste of time and money! So if you lock your keys in your trunk, don't even bother calling pop a lock. You need your spare and that's the only way.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
I am a bit confused. Are you guys saying, with key in the ignition (engine running or not running) and I walked out of my car, slammed the door and it'll lock itself automatically after a few minutes? How can that be???
I don't think it locks automatically, but you can lock it by mistake, perhaps by brushing the lock **** near the handle.

gnut-there is a trunk release handle you can use from the interior of the car. In the sedan it is reachable from the fold-down armrest trunk opening(hopefully not locked!). In the coupe you have to pull the seat down. This is outlined in the 04 and 05 manuals.

I agree, (as one who has done it) don't leave your keys in the ignition when you leave the car (unless an adult is still inside).

Old 06-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Talk about a sorry thread- basically nobody addressed the original poster's question as to how can the door be locked if you open the door and then close it. I had the same thing happen to me and there is something going on which Infiniti should make the owners aware of. Comments like you should not leave the car running are worthless-as there are times when you get out for a second to check something and then return to the car and we all leave the car running when this occurs. The poster raised a valid concern which, while maybe we might not have the answer, should cause us to at least to acknowledge that there may be an issue.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Last winter we were at an anniversary party in Jersey (about 1.5 hours from my house). It was brutually cold so I started the car and went back in to say my good byes. Sure enough, we came back out and the car was locked!! I KNOW I did not lock it. The catering hall called a local cop who showed up with a slim jim. As he is stuffing the thing into my door I think to call the "800" on the roadside assistance card in my wallet. I explain the situation to the lady and she says, "Whatever you do, don't let a cop try to get into your car!" I tell the cop to stop, so he does and leaves. Infiniti calls a locksmith who is on site in 20 minutes and unlocks the car with this curled staff looking thing. After I am in, the guy asks me to sign his workorder and he leaves, NO CHARGE!! Don't forget what we are driving here. Although not perfect, in my experience Inifiniti stands behind their products 100%. Unfortunately the cop caused about $295.00 worth of damage to the inside of the door. (would not lock properly, window would go up and back down 1-2 inches etc.) That sucked. I wish I would have called the "800" number 1st, went back inside and had another espresso instead of freakin' out. Oh well, live and learn.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:04 AM
^As I indicated in one response, I think it is from brushing the lock button near the door handle, but I have not tried to replicate it. It should not be able to be done that way, I don't think. You can lock all the doors from the rear door, I believe, but that requires the conscious effort of opening the rear door, so presumably you are doing it on purpose. It would be nice if Infiniti looked into this.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:47 AM
After 3 years of owning a G35, I have never been able to figure out how people can lock themselves out of their car. The only way my car will lock itself is if you unlock it and do not touch the car for 30 seconds. Then the car will relock itself. As far as I know, my car will not auto lock. Maybe the 2004 and 2005 cars are different, but I have read some posts about people locking themselves out of their 2003 cars. Maybe there is some setting or programing issue with the locking system that makes some cars different.

As far as the original poster's question, I don't think there is an answer unless they can replicate this at the dealer and have that feature turned off. I am sorry to say that the other people here are correct in saying you should not leave your keys in the car. It is not the answer to the question, but it will prevent you from future problems.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 PM
mtn
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not been locked out of my G35s so far. I seriously doubt that I will be because I have the wallet key where its supposed to be. Yes, its in my wallet. Also, the G has a beeping sound when you leave keys in ignition. Its really hard not to hear that beeping sound. I made it a point to always carry my keys with me when I exit the car. Its a good practice to do this. It will save you a lot of headache and frustration later.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
I carry that flat thin valet key that opens only the doors and keep it in my wallet. They gave it to me along with the spares when i got the car. Haven't used it though.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:47 PM
You should have gotten:

2 x ignition keys
2 x FOB
1 x valet key (starts ignition but doesn't open glove box)
1 x wallet key (only opens door)

I keep the wallet key in my wallet and I gave my spare to my fiance. If I lock my keys in the car or in the trunk, I use my wallet key. If I lock my keys and wallet in the car, I call my fiance.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
I am a bit confused. Are you guys saying, with key in the ignition (engine running or not running) and I walked out of my car, slammed the door and it'll lock itself automatically after a few minutes? How can that be???
No. In the 04, if you unlock the car with the remote and do not open a door or the trunk or turn the ignition to "on" within a minute, the car will re-lock. If you haven't opened the door, it assumes you didn't get into the car. For those of you entering by the sun roof, this might be a problem.

You can lock the keys in if they are are in the ignition by unlocking the driver's door with the button by the door handle, getting out and then pushing that button to "lock" (by mistake or on purpose) and closing the door. Basically, the car does not know in this instance that you have left the car. You might have just opened the door and closed without leaving your seat and then relocked it, as far as the car knows. It would be good if this could be avoided.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by Corgidog
Talk about a sorry thread- basically nobody addressed the original poster's question as to how can the door be locked if you open the door and then close it. I had the same thing happen to me and there is something going on which Infiniti should make the owners aware of. Comments like you should not leave the car running are worthless-as there are times when you get out for a second to check something and then return to the car and we all leave the car running when this occurs. The poster raised a valid concern which, while maybe we might not have the answer, should cause us to at least to acknowledge that there may be an issue.
I disagree. By not leaving the key in the ignition and/or carrying your wallet key definitely addresses the issue. Just because you leave your keys in your ignition, on occassion, does not mean everybody does. I have had my sedan for three years and have NEVER locked my keys inside. The reason being, I did it once many years ago with my T-bird. I learned my lesson the first time and NEVER did it again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have you been locked out of car???