G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Portable DVD vs. Headrest DVD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:18 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Portable DVD vs. Headrest DVD

Ok. The thing I think I miss most (or my son misses most) about our Pacifica is that it had the DVD system. Does anyone have experience with the headrest DVD systems in their G's? I don't really want to get the ones you strap onto the seat because they are so bulky but I don't know anyone with the aftermarket headrest screens. I need something that can hook up and play DVD's and can hook up to the common game systems (PS2, PS1, Xbox, GC) as well.

Any thoughts? options? opinions?(wait - might not want those)

Old 06-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Can't you get an aftermarket drop-down that wires into the overhead - similar to what you had in the Pac?

I've seen them so I know it's do-able, just don't know what it would cost. I'd look at aftermarket stereo installers - Circuit City has this one for $799 that has a wireless FM transmitter built in - it's a starting place.

Good luck!

Old 06-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

This baby comes with two sets of wireless headphones...

Old 06-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Sony makes a sweetie too - wireless FM.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Like this

My 5.1 dolby digital surround sound with 3 tv monitors and 1500 watts of power.

Attached Thumbnails Portable DVD vs. Headrest DVD-g35.jpg  
Old 06-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by SixgearSedan
How much? This is a system to travel with. I doubt she wants to spend thousands to accomplish what she can for a few hundred.

Looks sweet though - thumbs up!

Old 06-18-2005, 10:31 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by SixgearSedan
I'm lovin that! Any more info on where, etc?

Old 06-18-2005, 10:33 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
How much? This is a system to travel with. I doubt she wants to spend thousands to accomplish what she can for a few hundred.

Looks sweet though - thumbs up!

For the most part your right. I was wondering though if you can really do those drop down things when you have a sun roof? I saw a few at Best Buy today just to get an idea what they run and they look awfully big to put behind a sun roof.

Old 06-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Dunno Cheryl. I haven't ever really looked at one in person. These looked small in the picture - sorry if they were misleading.

I've seen others that are like an entire overhead console - these looked like smaller pieces.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Dunno Cheryl. I haven't ever really looked at one in person. These looked small in the picture - sorry if they were misleading.

I've seen others that are like an entire overhead console - these looked like smaller pieces.
I asked the lacky at Best Buy and he told me that I would just need to bring my car in and they would tell me if they can put one in or not. I just really don't think so! I wouldn't buy it from them anyway. I am going to go by the local Tweeter and talk to the manager there. For anyone in our area, this guy is AWESOME! He has been in audio for about 12-15 years mostly car audio but home as well. He should be able to help me some. The hubby is out of town until Thursday so while I am in withdrawals I will need something to do. Yes, we are one of those disgusting couples that actually like each other (if you've seen Chris Rock's standup you got that reference)

Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Sounds like a good plan - let us know how it works out and what you choose. I'm sure your guy can hook something up that you'll like. The headrest units are getting cheaper but for decent quality you're still looking at a good bit of $$.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2005, 11:24 PM
My horns hold up my halo
OK. I went by Tweeter tonight and talked to one of their guys (the usual person I deal with wasn't there). He had several ideas but I am still not sure. He was discouraged about the headrest DVD screens b/c of the slant of the headrests. Gotta find somebody with these so I can see them in person. Had a few ideas about some obscure placements of the DVD with drop-down screens. Not having a good enough cross beam may eliminate the option of the flip downs that Gee suggested. Going back tomorrow to talk to their "head installer" to see what he can come up with. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

I'm sure those guys can come up with something - you could consider headrest replacements... Have to be picky not to mess up the look of the interior though. You don't want two big sofa-looking headrests sitting up there...

Keep us posted.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
OK. I went by Tweeter tonight and talked to one of their guys (the usual person I deal with wasn't there). He had several ideas but I am still not sure. He was discouraged about the headrest DVD screens b/c of the slant of the headrests. Gotta find somebody with these so I can see them in person. Had a few ideas about some obscure placements of the DVD with drop-down screens. Not having a good enough cross beam may eliminate the option of the flip downs that Gee suggested. Going back tomorrow to talk to their "head installer" to see what he can come up with. I'll let you know what they say.
FWIW...
You can get adjustable head rests
http://infinitipa.zoovy.com/product/Y34HEADREST

Old 06-24-2005, 12:56 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
FWIW...
You can get adjustable head rests
http://infinitipa.zoovy.com/product/Y34HEADREST
Thank you Darlin'

That will likely solve part of my problem. Now just to work out the details about the rest. This kid better appreciate all this work! LOL!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Portable DVD vs. Headrest DVD