G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

18in.sedan or 19in coupe rims on g35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18in.sedan or 19in coupe rims on g35X

whats up everyone....

just got my 05X on thursday. I would like to know if anyone knows for sure if it is ok to put the 18 inch rims from the 05 sedan with sport package or the 19in rims from the coupe on the AWD. I know that some AWD systems can really be damaged by putting staggered size front/rear tires on. I asked the salesman, he asked the service guys when I bought it and they said it was ok....but he didnt seem to really know for sure. The 18's from the sedan are not staggered so I figure they would be ok, but they are not offered as an option on the X either. The only option for rims on the 05 X are chromeing the same rims that are on there.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:43 AM
also, what is with the smaller brakes on the front and rear of the X vs. the RWD sedan?

Old 06-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Widdle ya into kindling
Buy some after market ones and make your G Unique

Old 06-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto
whats up everyone....

just got my 05X on thursday. I would like to know if anyone knows for sure if it is ok to put the 18 inch rims from the 05 sedan with sport package or the 19in rims from the coupe on the AWD. I know that some AWD systems can really be damaged by putting staggered size front/rear tires on. I asked the salesman, he asked the service guys when I bought it and they said it was ok....but he didnt seem to really know for sure. The 18's from the sedan are not staggered so I figure they would be ok, but they are not offered as an option on the X either. The only option for rims on the 05 X are chromeing the same rims that are on there.
DO NOT STAGGER DUDE! It can ruin your transmission/transfer case. Your salesman is an idiot. Check your owners manual.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:22 AM
that is what I figured based on my knowledge of other AWD systems....just wanted to ask others. Haven't read the manual yet. Been to busy getting the 3M clear bra put on yesterday and tinting the windows today.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:30 AM
Get rid of the stocks and get your baby a nice pair of shoes. Enjoy!

Old 06-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
stags on a G-X

No doubt that it's a bad way to go (stags on an X). However there are more than a few guys out there running stag. wheels on their X's, and are clueless about the damage they're doing because they listened to the oil change guy at their Infiniti dealership (yet another reason to change your own oil... lol) I also love the dropped look, but am not to keen on the major changes $$$$ needed to be done to the suspension/alignment) to keep your handling and tire wear in stock config. Brings to mind the old adage "if looks could kill"....well they do...your tires

Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto
whats up everyone....

They work great, I just did the change with the Sedan 18s and I posted some pics in the Canadian section, but here they are ( the car needs cleaning, I was too excited to wash it, and wanted to take a couple of pictures )
The 18" rims off the sedan are the same offset as our stock 17" rims (45MM), and the 18s are not staggered.
I would not put the coupe 19s on the X since they are staggered and that would affect the AWD system like some of the others said.
Wayne

Attached Thumbnails 18in.sedan or 19in coupe rims on g35X-trial-1984.jpg   18in.sedan or 19in coupe rims on g35X-trial-1985.jpg  

Last edited by GEE35FX; 06-28-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Aren't staggered tires used to keep rwd cars "planted" during aggressive maneuvers? I don't think that's a problem with the G35x. If the rear wheels start to slip, power will be transferred to the fronts and the car will be pulled through the turn. Plus you can rotate the tires, which should help them last a lot longer.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Does stl_ls1gto just like the look of the coupe rims or is he/she looking for a performance enhancement?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
You're right about RWD cars, but AWD are a different breed however. You can't rotate staggered tires (at least rear to front being different sizes) and with the automatic transfer of power in the AWD ....ALL tires must be matched so there is no disproportionate grip/adhesion created from the mismatched (wider rear) tires/wheels. Eat that transfer and tranny up in no time.........too bad though cause' it looks great.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:36 PM
how would it eat the tranny and transfer case up?
And why dont porsche AWD systems get their tranny and transfer cases eaten up by a staggered setup?
How is Infiniti's AWD system diffrent from any other AWD System?(Porsche,Audi,BMW,Etc....)

Last edited by aam6906; 06-19-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
The traction of one bigger foot print distorts the import of information going into your drive and puts a strain on it (transfer/drive). This is verbatim as explained to me an expert Infiniti performance tech. He equated it to driving the X in "snow mode" at highway speed in the middle of summer. It can be done ......for a while. I, at one time, had considered the mod myself, but knew i had heard something to this effect and checked into it. I'd do it t'morrow if I could.............cool? JBX

Old 06-21-2005, 11:51 AM
so its the same as any other awd system...........

Old 06-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by aam6906
so its the same as any other awd system...........
Porsche, Audi, and Nissan use different types of AWD systems.

Audi calls their system Torsen- Uses a planetary gearbox in the center to divert power appropriately. Most effected by staggered wheels or different tires sizes.

Porsche uses a viscous system- My guess is that they have tuned it specifically for a staggered wheel setup.

Nissan uses a transfer case, right off the side of the tranny. Sounds simple, but uses all kinds of sensors to distribute power front to rear. Up to a 50% split either way, rear drive most of the time. You can hear it disengage sometimes after you start rolling.,

I'm not to sure about BMW's X-Drive or Merc 4-matic. I'm guessing they are very similar to the Nissan system, albeit with a more permanent engagement.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lip
Porsche, Audi, and Nissan use different types of AWD systems.

Audi calls their system Torsen- Uses a planetary gearbox in the center to divert power appropriately. Most effected by staggered wheels or different tires sizes.

Porsche uses a viscous system- My guess is that they have tuned it specifically for a staggered wheel setup.

Nissan uses a transfer case, right off the side of the tranny. Sounds simple, but uses all kinds of sensors to distribute power front to rear. Up to a 50% split either way, rear drive most of the time. You can hear it disengage sometimes after you start rolling.,

I'm not to sure about BMW's X-Drive or Merc 4-matic. I'm guessing they are very similar to the Nissan system, albeit with a more permanent engagement.
oh so no other AWD system has a transer case????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 18in.sedan or 19in coupe rims on g35X