G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Burning - Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Burning - Please help

I picked up my new 05 G35x on Friday 6/17 from the dealership. While driving home I could smell something burning, it was a strong smell of burning plastic or rubber. I pulled to the side checked the engine and everything looked fine. The smell was strong near the rear of the car.

I called my dealership and talked to the salesman who sold me the car and he said that it is normal for the first 3 days, he said that they put some chemicals on the engine and it is probably burning off.

The next day morning went on a long trip and put about 700miles in 2 days. Still get the burning rubber smell and sometimes it is very strong. What is weird is that it has been 700 miles and i still get the strong smell.

Please help, did you ever get this smell.

I have been doing 80-85 on the average during the long trip. Is this speed too high for Break-in period. The revs were in the range of 3000 - 4000.
I have hit 6000 couple of times and 5000 few times.
Is this bad for the engine. Please post your suggestions.

I am really concerned that I have hurt my engine.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:00 PM
I do not know what causes that burning rubber smell, but I had it for the first 2 days when I drove a 2005 G35x loaner (with 3K) to Florida last XMas. I drove it fairly hard during that time. It never happened again.

I did not experience it with my new G35, which is not AWD.

It seems to be fairly common issue.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:20 PM
I had this on my G35X too. It was explained to me that there was a coating on the exhaust that gets burned off and that it was normal. I haven't smelled it since the first couple days.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Question 700 miles and still smells pretty strong

It has been 700 miles and still get the burning rubber smell pretty strong.
That's why I am concerned.

Is this an issue with AWD versions only? Other sedan and coupe owners comments?

Old 06-20-2005, 12:42 PM
I had this with my car for the first few days as well. Dealership told me not to worry about it, and they were right. It stopped by the end of first week. I have an automatic sedan and it is not an all-wheel drive.

I have around 800 miles on mine and I'm still keeping it under 4000 RPM.

-Ramin

Old 06-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Is it bad?

I did 80-85 on the average during the long trip.
Is this speed too high for Break-in period.
The revs were in the range of 3000 - 4000.
Is this bad for the engine. Coupled with the breakin period, I also have the smell so it is very concerning. Please post your suggestions.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Burning

I have an '05 X and I still get that odor faintly at 6,000 miles.

It has dissipated quite a bit from when i first picked up the car, but i still get it after i have a little "fun" driving.

Perhaps the "coating" goes on a little thicker on some than others? No worries tho, dealership has been wonderful about this little stuff so far...

-G

Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
There is another tread on G35 burn-in time and do/don'ts, so you can search for that. It seemed generally it is agreed that you should keep the car at under 4000 miles until 1200 miles and not really push it, based on the user manual suggestions.

-Ramin

Old 06-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Every new car I've owned had the "burn" smell... it's more than likely burn off from the engine parts and true, the exhaust... My Stillen exhaust had strange smell for a few days too... just material burn-off... If it continues, I'd have it checked out. Just my opinion ~

Old 06-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by g35dreamcar
I did 80-85 on the average during the long trip.
Is this speed too high for Break-in period.
The revs were in the range of 3000 - 4000.
Is this bad for the engine. Coupled with the breakin period, I also have the smell so it is very concerning. Please post your suggestions.
You're fine. Quit worrying.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That burning smell is common to all new cars. I've had 6 new cars in my lifetime, and each one exhibited this odor to some degree or another. Over time, it will dissipate. Having said that, my 04 with 6000 miles still exhibits a faint oder when I drive it hard, and it's 3 months old. Nothing to worry about.

As for the break-in, I don't mean to chide you, but you really should have referenced the manual. In your thread last week titled "is it safe to drive?", several people mentioned the 4000 RPM limit, as stated in the manual. If you exceeded that, in the range of 5000 to 6000, then the only thing I can say is that you were warned.

Sorry buddy. Not trying to be mean or anything.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:58 PM
I would not say this problem is common with all new cars.

This smell is very distinctive...burning rubber.

No way way to confuse this smell with other new car smells like new exhaust burn-in. First time you smell it, when you get out of the car after a long hard drive, you will be sure there is a tire rubbing or something similiar.

I never had the burning rubber smell from the RWD sedan, just the normal new exhaust smells.

The loaner which had it, had 3500 KM on it when I got it. But the smell started after a long drive on the highway in a bad snow storm, when the AWD was working hard.

Has any RWD owner had the burning rubber issue?

Old 06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Question Burning rubber

Originally Posted by thewheelman
I would not say this problem is common with all new cars.

This smell is very distinctive...burning rubber.

No way way to confuse this smell with other new car smells like new exhaust burn-in. First time you smell it, when you get out of the car after a long hard drive, you will be sure there is a tire rubbing or something similiar.

I never had the burning rubber smell from the RWD sedan, just the normal new exhaust smells.

The loaner which had it, had 3500 KM on it when I got it. But the smell started after a long drive on the highway in a bad snow storm, when the AWD was working hard.

Has any RWD owner had the burning rubber issue?
Yes you are absolutely right. It does not feel like some exhaust smell. It is very distinctive like rubber burning. Is this the same for everyone?

Old 06-20-2005, 03:16 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What you are smelling is exhaust coating that burns off over a short time. Sometimes things blow up onto the exhaust and can melt. Only way to be sure is to get the car off the ground and look.
Try to keep the speed down and not constant until breakin is complete.
C.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I had the odor only the first day or 2 with my X. It was tha same sort of odor as I had in my Maxima when it was new for the first couple of days.

Concerning break-in, I Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations (as in the owner's manual) and it is very hard to do this for the first 1200 miles :

-no rapid or sudden stops and starts. (helps with brakes and running gear to break in.)
-keep RPMs under 4,000 RPM.
-constantly vary your speeds and rpm (do not use cruise so you avoid going the same speed) Personally I think this is the most important one to follow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burning - Please help