G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Clear Bra self install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra self install

I can not find a local installer to apply the 3M Scotchguard to my new G I am getting on Thursday. Has anyone tried to install it themselves?

Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I can not find a local installer to apply the 3M Scotchguard to my new G I am getting on Thursday. Has anyone tried to install it themselves?
I did a few installs. And can tell you the G is not a easy install due to the curvyness of the front end. I am having a local installed do my car Thursday if he screws up its his pocket not mine.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:52 PM
you went to 3M.com and put your zip code in there?

Old 06-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Lumpy, Where do you live? I know of a few places. I dont think a self install is possible for a first timer imho.

Christopher

Pristine Autowerks

Old 06-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Don't do it yourself... have a pro do it as the install is key. not saying you "couldn't" do it, but it's a job better left to those who do it regularly.

Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother. You're not going to save a penny if you happen to make a mistake.

I would imagine a professional installer would offer some sort of guarantee or warranty to go along with their service - that would be worth a few extra $ to me.

If you take it, up some pics and let us know how it comes out.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Did I mention there is no one in my area to install it? I went to the 3M site and found an "installer" but when I called the number I got a voicemail for Jim's Landscape. I do not think I will let a moonlighter touch my car.

I live in Charleston, SC.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Lumpy,
I had one installed on my Maxima 5 years ago while living in Charleston, SC but had to get it done while in Charlotte on business. You might search the forums and FAQ here and call your local tinting operations. I now live in a tiny town in KY but found 2 tint places here that install them through links on the FAQ.
I did replace the hood peice and it was easy. I would not do the bumper myself.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:44 PM
the installers that do it, do it out of their house. Just pick a certified installer on the 3M website. You then have a 5 year warranty on the installation. If you pick a non-certified installer, then if there is a problem, you actually have to send the 3m film off your car to 3M, they then determine if it was a manufacture defect and decide if they will replace it.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:07 PM
I guess it depends on how bad you want it done. It's well worth the money even if you have to take your car "out-of-state" to have it done.

Your call though. I wouldn't wait too long though. We all say "Do it!".

Old 07-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're very 'handy' do it yourself. It is difficult (takes a long time and you start to panic that you're screwing up). The hard part is making a flat piece of urethane sheet want to go over curved surfaces. The invinca-sheild web site has a video clip that shows how 'easy' it is. I've done it twice (G35 & 325i). It's best to have a competent helper: one works on each side of the big pieces. Plan on spending 4 or more hours sqeegieing till the stuff sticks. The number thing to remember, at all times, is take your time, don't get panicky. Keep squeegieing (for what seems like hours), it will come out nice. After a day it seems to fit very tight onto the car, minor wirnkes & tiny bubbles are gone. Don't rush it. Make sure you have all day. It's realy worth what an installer charges, IF he does a better job than you can.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Do you really want to live up to your user name? Don't do it.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Do you guys recommend the 3M or the Llumar product? The '03 G-Sedan I'm getting (as soon as the danged title appears at my dealer) has a clear bra already in place on the front of the hood and the mirrors...but it is starting to peel back at the pointed edges, and there is a small tear in the driver's side mirror. So, I'm thinking of having it redone.

Can the existing bra material be removed successfully without screwing up the paint underneath?

Thanks!!

Old 07-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
the bra can be lifted without damage to the paint. i have had one removed with no problems. unless you have touch up or a chip beneath the bra, then i hear it will lift the touch up or the chip. the 3m product is what i have used for two G's now, and i have been very pleased with it. good luck.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:27 AM
It really depends on the type of kit you get. There are companies that carry multi-pc kits for the bumper to make it much easier for installation. However, you will have to live w/ the extra seams. If you're looking at a one piece kit, then I wouldn't recommend you try this yourself.........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra self install