G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

T-Bone accident at 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-Bone accident at 55

Last night I was hit in the middle drivers side by a Pontiac Grand Am doing 55 mph. I was turning left out off a side street from my local gym onto a 5 lane street. (2 lanes each direction with a center turn lane) I was waiting for a while for traffic to clear due to the high volume of traffic on the road. A large gap in traffic opened up and a from my left a Tahoe was slowing to turn right down my street. So I started to go straight out and turn left and the Grand Am was driving in the left hand blind spot of the Tahoe and over taking it. I never saw the Grand Am due to the angle of view with the Tahoe blocking my view. I saw every other car in the left lane that wasn't hidden by the Tahoe.

The important stuff:
Everyone was up and walking after the accident. Anyway the side curtain and both frontal air bags deployed on the G35. I was struck directly in the middle of the car on the driver side. The air bag experience is everything you should expect. A shotgun blast inside the car. It was temporarily deafening and smelled like gunpowder for awhile. As I saw the car, just before it hit me, I said this is going to hurt in my head. I have a skin abrasion on my left side waistline from the arm rest, a skin abrasion on my left inside forearm from the air bag, a skin abrasion on my right temple from the passenger side head rest and I'm a little stiff and sore in my lower back. But I walked out of the car on the passenger side while dialing the phone for help immediately after impact. This car saved my life and saved me from any real bad injury as far as I can tell. I'm going to go out and by another one just as soon as I deal with the insurance company. With the driver side of the car crushed I was able to clear the car from the road and turn left back onto the side street by direction of the police. Not a bit of trouble doing it either, amazing. The driver side window never even shattered. And I remember hitting the side curtain airbag instead of the window. I think the G35 is totaled. The car's middle section absorbed the impact through the center of the vehicle and pushed the center tunnel over a bit, the CD player won't eject the cd's in the player from the impact. I'll post some pictures after I go to the tow yard today.

The driver in the Grand Am said she never saw me either except the last second to lock up the brakes and unfortunately her air bag never deployed. The whole front of her car was smashed, why didn't the airbag deploy? It should have, sounds defective. Anyway she said her chest hurt a little and they took her to the hospital as a precaution. I think the strap of seat belt hurt her. She thought it was the steering wheel, but the officer at the scene drove it out of the way and the steering wheel was in perfect condition.

I love the G35, I'm glad my wife usually drives it to work everyday and my 2 yr old was safe at home. It is a very safe car indeed. The people who saw the accident thought I was dead at first, they couldn't belive I walked away. The guy asked me what car I was driving, he said he was looking to buy a car and was going to look at the G35 now after seeing the durability of the car.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Dude, I am really sorry to read about your accident. I am glad to see that you are ok, and more importantly that you didn't have your family with you.

This story sure helps confirm our decisions to purchase this car! Sure is it a blast to drive, but it is good to know that all the safety talk from Infinity isn't just hype!

Take care and I hope the insurance guys take care of you quickly.

Eric

Old 06-30-2005, 08:33 AM
My horns hold up my halo
That sounds like a horrible experience. Glad you are ok. Please post some pics if you can but main thing is that you are ok. The pictures I have seen on here have proved this car can hold up in an accident!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:10 AM
SGT
Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad the G35 held up to it. This is now the third or fourth accident story I've read about involving the G35 and each time, the driver and passengers in the G35 have come out with barely a scratch. That's got to say something about the car's safety.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry about the car but it's wonderful that you're all okay. Unreal. I friend of mine totalled his truck in much the same way - his view was blocked by an SUV, he thought he was clear, and BOOM. The other car wasn't going 55 though.

Nice to hear the car is tough - this isn't the first time I've heard this.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Wow, sorry to hear of your accident. But as you noted, the good thing is that everyone is relatively okay - no serious injuries. Hope that you get thing worked out with your insurance carrier quickly.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Terrible experience .... sorry you had to go through that. Here's to a speedy recovery from any back or neck pain. Amazing how well you came out from a 55mph collision - and we can all take some solace in how well the G35s are absorbing impacts

Old 06-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, congratulations on your future new G. very glad you're alive and in one piece, that was a good read. awaiting the pics. /me watches this thread.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Ditto what everyone else said ... glad you're okay.

After reading about your accident, and numerous others here and on Fresh Alloy, I'm really impressed with how well the G is holding up in major accidents. Even with the cars being "totalled", folks are walking away with just minor injuries.

Hug the family ... let the dust from the accident ... and then go out and get yourself a new '05 and continue to enjoy!!!

Take Care ..... Mike

Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Wow....

Can you share some pics?

Old 06-30-2005, 06:31 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yikes, bad scene bro. Glad all turned out ok and no major injuries.
Hope the insurance gets another G for you soon.
C.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:37 PM
WOW that sucks, I got T-boned 2 days after getting my G. Glad your OK. Off topic Q: anyway, would you consider selling your front bumper? thanks

Old 06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Terrible experience. Ditto what everyone else said: I'm very glad you and the other driver are relatively okay.

Your crash I hope gives a little pause to some folks who are quick to assign blame, hire a tort lawyer and commence suing the daylights out of everyone in sight. Based on your description, the crash was entirely your fault. From the other driver's perspective, it's easy to point fingers, curse and try to shake the dollar tree that is automotive insurance. But the fact of the matter is that people are human and make mistakes, and sometimes they very nearly pay the ultimate price for them. It'd be nice if people would put the shoe on the other foot in situations like this and show more compassion and less blame. But sadly it's not 1960 anymore, where it was if not unthinkable at least a bit embarrassing to try to cash in on someone else's honest error.

Good luck and speedy recovery, DaddysG35. Post some pics of your car if you get the chance. I'd like to see how it held up.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dang i was thinking about getting racing seats for my coupe, but after hearing this, i think i will stick with the stock seats (they have airbags in them dont they? i have a coupe)

anyways, glad to hear that you are okay!

Old 06-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow . . . Glad to hear you are okay. I was involved in a similar accident in late April. It was probably not quite as severe, as your incident, but my BMW was a complete total.

As long as we are able to stand up and walk away after situations, such as these, we are very fortunate.

I trust you will be acquiring a new G and have many safe miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: T-Bone accident at 55