G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Dual Bypass Systems, Pre-Oilers - make your baby last forever

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnNJ
Bottom line is that if this Pre-Oiler was so good every car company would have this on their car already. There has to be some catch with the system because companies like Honda and Toyota would jump on such a device if it actually delivered on that claimed performance.
It's not cost beneficial for the manufacturers and maybe for the consumers becuase the average consumer does not keep a vehicle that long. It increases the cost of vehicles and manufacturers would sell less becuase engines would last longer. This isn't just due to pre-oiling - but pre-oiling combined with bypass filtration. Most consumers don't want to bother with oil analysis to determine proper drains - especially with bypass - manufacturers play it safe and recommend very short drains because most people don't even check their oil.

Well as the above posting said, manufacturers desgin the average vehicle to go about 250 -300k miles. Pre-Oiling will extend engine life beyond this - especially in colder climates, or when vehicles sit for extened periods of time (enough time for the oil to settle down into the pan).

PS: there was really cool show about oil last night "lube job" on the history channel, it was very interesting and they went over most of the same things that has been mentioned in this thread with scientists and chemical engineers from shell oil and some other companies. lube job

Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so wheres the cheapest place to get amsoil? i thought that stuff was expensive. Mobil 1 at costco is hella cheap.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Bottom line is that if this Pre-Oiler was so good every car company would have this on their car already. There has to be some catch with the system because companies like Honda and Toyota would jump on such a device if it actually delivered on that claimed performance.
Not true, it's pure economics. If it adds to the cost of the car, and the car will run fine without it.... Besides, they are in the business of selling cars right?

Old 08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by nuttyprof
so wheres the cheapest place to get amsoil? i thought that stuff was expensive. Mobil 1 at costco is hella cheap.
You can get it for wholesale price delivered direct from Amsoil for $4.85 / quart... I would opt for the Series 3000 Formulation if you want the best oil money can buy (best additive package of all the other oils). The lowest wear rates I've seen come from this formulation and this is what I use as well.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Not true, it's pure economics. If it adds to the cost of the car, and the car will run fine without it.... Besides, they are in the business of selling cars right?
Read the book <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0470821108/qid=1123787879/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/103-3622392-9428625?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"><u>Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit</u></a> if you want to see the decision making process over at Toyota (and an elegant case study). It has nothing to do with selling a car that needs to be replaced and all to do with selling a car that <b>doesn't</b> need to be replaced or serviced.

In Japan, where the phrase was coined, TQM (total quality management) means continuously improving your products at any cost. However, in the United States TQM means wringing every penny out of your manufacturing process. You have to understand their corporate culture in order to understand why they build such a good product. To them, they are in the business of selling a <b><i>perfect</b></i> car. US car companies make up for their frugality by having brilliant engineers and giving them just enough capital to build a decent auto.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Read the book <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0470821108/qid=1123787879/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/103-3622392-9428625?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"><u>Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit</u></a> if you want to see the decision making process over at Toyota (and an elegant case study). It has nothing to do with selling a car that needs to be replaced and all to do with selling a car that <b>doesn't</b> need to be replaced or serviced.

In Japan, where the phrase was coined, TQM (total quality management) means continuously improving your products at any cost. However, in the United States TQM means wringing every penny out of your manufacturing process. You have to understand their corporate culture in order to understand why they build such a good product. To them, they are in the business of selling a <b><i>perfect</b></i> car. US car companies make up for their frugality by having brilliant engineers and giving them just enough capital to build a decent auto.
I see your point, however, my G35 is nowhere near perfect with all the rattles and various other problems I am having with it (wind noise from rear window, difficulty filling gas tank). I believe they are still in it to make money, regardless of their ideology since, for example, bypass & preoiling systems have been proven to extend oil drains and extend engine life.. obviously if they are not included at the factory, then there is a trade-off between engine life and something else...

Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Premier Member

AMSOIL Dealer Website

I am a dealer and you can get it from my site with my code and have it delivered stragiht to your door from Amsoil at dealer cost. Just call them, give them my # on the site, and have it shipped to you.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
how much do you get it for?

Old 08-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Dang....I ran my 99 Max until I sold it with 127K miles (I was the original owner), with oil changes every 10-12K....the last time I ran into the kid it was at the 194K mark, kid still changes the oil at the same place I did it at and the car still runs amazing...though the power steering pump failed him and something else small...but I suppose to each their own. Now I own my cars less than a year anyway, so what the hell.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by bythabay
I see your point, however, my G35 is nowhere near perfect with all the rattles and various other problems I am having with it (wind noise from rear window, difficulty filling gas tank). I believe they are still in it to make money, regardless of their ideology since, for example, bypass & preoiling systems have been proven to extend oil drains and extend engine life.. obviously if they are not included at the factory, then there is a trade-off between engine life and something else...
Infiniti != Toyota/Honda That is why you have the rattles.

You said it your self: <i>"there is a trade-off between engine life and something else..."</i>

I would say that the trade-off is engine life vs. the reliability/performance of this system. Are these systems standard equipment on diesel trucks? Are they standard on generators? Are they standard on race cars? Are they standard on Donald Trump's Yacht? etc... Where do these kits have widespread adoption?

Remember, Porsches don't need oil for 20k miles and they don't use such a system.

Last edited by JohnNJ; 08-11-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Premier Member

how much do you get it for?
Specify what your looking for and I can look up the prices for you or you can call them with my code to get prices.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:57 PM
just the 5W-30 that we should use in our cars. maybe a box of 12?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Premier Member

just the 5W-30 that we should use in our cars. maybe a box of 12?
A case of 12 is $55.20 (since I just purchased some).

Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 PM
shipped? thats the same as mobil 1.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G35_TX
A case of 12 is $55.20 (since I just purchased some).
Around 5-8 bucks shipped.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dual Bypass Systems, Pre-Oilers - make your baby last forever