G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP !!! Thinking about trading in for WRX STi...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005 | 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by johnboy00
This thread showed me that I, too, seem to have a problem. Been married for 8.5 years, and my wife wants to know if I'm ever gonna pay off a car. My resume isn't quite as long, but when I look at it and my approaching 40th birthday, I think to myself, "This has to stop."

05 G35 sedan
02 Corvette Z06
01 Mustang Cobra convertible
98 Mustang Cobra
98 Explorer Sport 4x2
96 Mustang Cobra
95 Explorer Sport 4x4
93 Mustang LX 5.0
89 Mustang LX 5.0 (rear ended/totaled)
A lot of Stangs... but not either of the best ones (IMO) - '65 and '05. Looks like you might need to add to the list

Old 07-20-2005 | 03:05 PM
|
Thanks for all your comments guys.

Yes, I do admit I have a problem staying happy with a car. I am certainly a car enthusiast and always seem to drool over the latest and greatest vehicles.

As for switching from the M3 to the Civic Si, yes, you were right that it was purely financially driven. Rest assured that this was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, as the M3 was simply an AWESOME machine. Just wanted to back off on my car payments a bit to purchase a house at the time. As you can see, since then I have gradually climbed back up the ladder to my current G35.

Even though my track record would suggest otherwise, I really think I'm gonna keep the G for my daily driver for quite some time...I'm really happy with it all around. But as I mentioned before, sometimes I still can't control the immature kid in me who wants to experience top-notch performance. So the only answer I've come up with that doesn't blow the bank is the STi.

As for all you guys who urge me to use the extra money toward an education trust fund or retirement account, I feel that I am already saving adequately for these purposes. Hey, my wife likes to go shopping and quite often spends around $300 doing so each month, so I feel I should be able to spend a similar amount on something I really get enjoyment from considering I don't really do make any other superfluous expenditures (assuming of course that I've kicked the car trading habit).

Given all that, what do you think?

Old 07-20-2005 | 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by xtyper
Thanks for all your comments guys.

Yes, I do admit I have a problem staying happy with a car. I am certainly a car enthusiast and always seem to drool over the latest and greatest vehicles.

As for switching from the M3 to the Civic Si, yes, you were right that it was purely financially driven. Rest assured that this was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, as the M3 was simply an AWESOME machine. Just wanted to back off on my car payments a bit to purchase a house at the time. As you can see, since then I have gradually climbed back up the ladder to my current G35.

Even though my track record would suggest otherwise, I really think I'm gonna keep the G for my daily driver for quite some time...I'm really happy with it all around. But as I mentioned before, sometimes I still can't control the immature kid in me who wants to experience top-notch performance. So the only answer I've come up with that doesn't blow the bank is the STi.

As for all you guys who urge me to use the extra money toward an education trust fund or retirement account, I feel that I am already saving adequately for these purposes. Hey, my wife likes to go shopping and quite often spends around $300 doing so each month, so I feel I should be able to spend a similar amount on something I really get enjoyment from considering I don't really do make any other superfluous expenditures (assuming of course that I've kicked the car trading habit).

Given all that, what do you think?
If I were you, I would print out this thread and put it away til your 40th birthday and then reread it and write a response to it. My guess is it will sound a lot like some of the responses you are now getting.

Old 07-20-2005 | 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by xtyper
Hey, my wife likes to go shopping and quite often spends around $300 doing so each month, so I feel I should be able to spend a similar amount on something I really get enjoyment from considering I don't really do make any other superfluous expenditures (assuming of course that I've kicked the car trading habit).
If your wife jumped off a bridge, does that mean you should too?

Seriously, though, shouldn't one of you be responsible enough to recognize the advantage of curbing pointless expenses for the sake of future neccessities. In my opinion, you already have a superfluous expenditure in that you are driving an expensive and very nice automobile (the G). There is no need to add another expensive and very high performance automobile to that list. Try to redirect your priorities. Otherwise like others have said here, you'll regret the wasted money later in life.

FYI, I'm 28 and experience all the desires you do as well. However, I don't easily give in to these. Man, it was a big deal just getting the G. Not because I couldn't afford it, but because I wasn't sure I could JUSTIFY it. I'm very practical that way where it seems you tend to be more impulsive and less practical.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Old 07-20-2005 | 06:41 PM
I fall into the conservative saver/investor camp, but hey, everybody has to spend their money on something, right? Although 15 cars in 10 years does make you a pretty easy target. If you're a performance nut, pass on the STi & just get a motorcycle - you'll be all set.

It's no secret that the new car honeymoon is usually over within the first year or two, especially with the rate that automakers continue to update their models. Keeping up with the Jones' on automobile purchases is an unwinnable game, because you have to ask yourself how you'll feel with your 300HP STi when Mitsubishi comes out with a 350HP Evo in a year or two

Old 07-20-2005 | 07:04 PM
|
Wow...you all have some great insight and really put things in perspective for me.

I think instead of spending the money on the STi I'm gonna use it to go get some counseling for my impulsive car buying.

Old 07-20-2005 | 11:19 PM
Banned
it makes me happy when i spend money. even if its for stuff i dont need. do i need it? no! but do i want it?yes!

Old 07-20-2005 | 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by killerlexus
it makes me happy when i spend money. even if its for stuff i dont need. do i need it? no! but do i want it?yes!
lol I feel the same way *sigh* oh well

Old 07-21-2005 | 03:35 AM
Gangster Member
Originally Posted by jasperg35
my thread earlier was to represent the fact that i am too interested in another vehicle. but i've already got a decent performing, comfortable sedan. and that i was looking for a 'weekend car' resembling the lotus ($45k), vette ($48k), or porsche ($$$k)... why bother with leasing a wrx, when you could lease a porsche for not too much more that $380 month (actually $450 month). and the value of the current bmw m3 starts at around $66k new (i just test drove one last week), when a vortech costs about $6k (including installation and gauges). and looking at the drivers history, money looked like it was never a concern, just a boundary.
and the second part was my corporate disclaimer about the fact that once the bmw upgrades their model to reflect that of the new 3 series, i'm going to go through all of this inner conflict (the same as the orginator of this thread), all over again. and the same with the new audi. that thing looks like a beast!!!
come on... you can't tell me that fine print isn't sometimes amusing to read....
i was trying to say more with less... i guess i failed...

where can you lease a porsche for 450 a month?

Old 07-21-2005 | 08:29 AM
boxter type s with 2200 down in raleigh

Old 07-21-2005 | 08:49 AM
Smile

It feel good when I know I'm not the only one with impulse car buying, hehe. I guess I wasn't as bad as I thought after I listed out as I had a little more common sense in getting most of my desire used. Also, I stop seriesly modding my car after 2000 when I got married and realized my mods aren't worth any extra money when it come time to trade/sell again.

-----> Actively looking for the next ride to replace the ML500.
2004 G35 New
2003 Mercedes ML500 New
1997 BMW 740iL
2001 Acura CL-S
1995 BMW 840ci
1999 Infiniti G20t Lease
1994 Mazda Miata
1994 Honda CBR900RR
1997 Honda Prelude Type-SH New
1990 Yamaha FZR400RR
1994 BMW 530i V8 New
1992 Nissan 300ZX
1991 Saab 9000CD turbo
1988 Pontiac FireBird
1986 Oldsmobile Braham 88
---------------------------------> 1990

Last edited by m500; 07-21-2005 at 08:58 AM.