G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Official '06 G35 Changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=dampfnudel]: after Nissan lowers the HP rating for the G35 due to the new SAE standard [QUOTE]

whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis?
what is the 'new SAE standard'?
is the HP going down or just what Infiniti claims it will be?
when does this take affect?

Old 08-04-2005, 07:39 AM
i saw where Acura TL has gone down from 270 to 258....i wonder what all this is about

Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Minarets
i saw where Acura TL has gone down from 270 to 258....i wonder what all this is about
The new SAE standard for HP rating is more stringent and includes accessory loads while testing. All new cars and engines will start to be rated this way. That is why you'll see a drop on some cars.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:12 AM
As far as I know, car manufacturers do not have to rate their engines using the new standards. However, when someone does not people will think there is a reason.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 PM
The Newly Adopted SAE Standard (J2723)

RE: http://www.sae.org/certifiedpower/details.htm

About SAE J1349 Certified Power

Power and torque certification provide a means for a manufacturer to assure a customer that the engine they purchase delivers the advertised performance. This SAE Standard has been written to provide manufacturers with a method of certifying the power of engines to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995. Document SAE J2723 specifies the procedure to be used for a manufacturer to certify the net power and torque rating of a production engine according to SAE J1349 or the gross engine power of a production engine according to SAE J1995. Manufacturers who advertise their engine power and torque ratings as Certified to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 shall follow this procedure. Certification of engine power and torque to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 is voluntary, however, this power certification process is mandatory for those advertising power ratings as "Certified to SAE J1349".

SAE Engine Rating Standard Prevents Numbers Fudging (an article on how GM will use SAE J1349 Certified Power, AEI May 2005, Vol 113 No.5, p 59 )
General Motors has become the first manufacturer to certify an engine's power and torque ratings using a newly adopted SAE standard (J2723), James Queen, GM Vice President, Global Engineering, announced during his keynote address at the SAE World Congress and Exhibition in April 2005. The world's largest automaker plans to certify all of its engines to the voluntary standard, and is encouraging its competitors to do the same. The LS7 engine for the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 was certified under the new standard this month. The 7.0-L V8 unit produces 505 hp (377 kW) at 6300 rpm and 470 lboft (637 Nom) at 4800 rpm. "The new voluntary SAE power and torque certification procedure ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque as it uses third-party certification," said Queen. "SAE technical standards level the playing field, and this certification procedure is just the latest example of the value SAE has offered over the past century." To tout power and torque ratings as "SAE-certified," engine manufacturers must have an SAE qualified witness watch over the entire testing procedure to ensure that it is conducted in conformity to SAE standard J1349. Third-party witnessing is the main provision of J2723. An existing SAE standard, J1349, spells out how the actual testing is to be done. J1349 was updated last year to eliminate some ambiguities that allowed engine makers to cite power and torque ratings higher than the engine's actual capabilities. Engine makers are free to cite power and torque figures drived from testing conducted outside the scope of the SAE standards, but they may not claim the figures are SAE-certifed. "We feel that both the consumer and industry are well served by having accurate, consistent ratings from all manufacturers," said David Lancaster, a Technical Fellow in GM Powertrain and Chairman of the SAE Engine Power Test Code Committee that updated J1349 and wrote J2723. Data from a wide array of parameters (e.g., air:fuel ratio) will be collected during testing conducted to the SAE standards. SAE will create a database and offer it to industry in different packages and at different price points.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Interesting. I hadn't heard of this. Looks like a lesser example of the old SAE gross-versus-net problem they had in the '60s. When gross ratings were still in vogue back then, manufacturers often rated their engines with completely open exhausts and zero accessories -- no air conditioning compressors, no power steering pumps, etc. Sometimes they'd go so far as to yank out the water pump too and run the test in a big hurry.

When they switched to the net horsepower standard in the early '70s (or was it late '60s?), those massive 425-horsepower engines suddenly dropped 50, 100 or more rated horsepower overnight. People quickly had an explanation as to why their 400-horsepower big-block Chevy only ran a 14.3 quarter mile at 99 mph.

I wonder whether Nissan will adopt the new SAE standard and when. I hope that if the company does, doing so will help put an end to its decade-long policy of fudging horsepower numbers across its model line. They've been particularly brazen about that sort of thing since the VQ35 was introduced in MY 2002.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Since there's nothing changing to make the car go faster/slower, as long as everyone uses the same rating system, what's difference?

Last edited by StarChamp; 08-04-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:59 AM
People in the Acura communities are crying about the drop in reported horsepower. They act like their cars got slower or something. It really cracks me up.

The best response to the whining was a suggestion to put a few Type-R stickers on it to regain a few more HP!

I wonder what the SAE net HP of the G35 models are. Anyone have this info?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Minarets
can you tell if this is a coupe or sedan? it looks to me like the sedan headlight

i can tell you it's a coupe headlight. i can't figure out how you thought it was a sedan... notice the clearance light, the placement of the side marker (down on the front bumper, instead of meeting the front bumper to the front corner panel), and the contours of the light itself, along with the sloping of the hood.
i'm hoping there could be some kind of retrofit with the 03-04 sedans with the projectors too, but i'm not going to hold my breath.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Lip
i'm hoping there could be some kind of retrofit with the 03-04 sedans with the projectors too, but i'm not going to hold my breath.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
that's it, i'm going to trade this bish in for an M45

Old 08-09-2005, 08:16 PM
lol
liquid vs silver?
almost same color
have to be completely insane to chose one over other.
get real folks!

Old 08-09-2005, 08:21 PM
projection lens?
whats big deal
the regular hid lights spreads light better.
projector just focuses it more, not sure if it lights up better.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:30 AM
yes,
but the key things is Bi-Xenon

which, unless I'm wrong, means they'll have xenon's for both low-beam AND high-beam.

Currently, the xenon is for low-beam only.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by Kodeslinger
yes,
but the key things is Bi-Xenon

which, unless I'm wrong, means they'll have xenon's for both low-beam AND high-beam.

Currently, the xenon is for low-beam only.
I had Bi-Xenons on my Passat-Low beam Xenon- High Beam Xenon/Halogen as you still have a halogen bulb for passing and brights. Basically there is a metal plate that covers half of the light during low-beam operation then the metal plate retracts to expose the entire bulb, or more of the bulb to the lense, during high beam operation at which point the high beam halogen turns on as well. The halogen does still provide some light in high beam mode.

There are exceptions- Example some European market models like the Touareg- No Halogen used for the bright/passing lights.
Additionally, the new Bi-Xenons on the Z and G35coupe do not use a halogen for high beam

A lot of people ask what's the big deal? Well projectors are better in most scenarios.
Drive a car equipped with good projectors with HID and it's pretty clear literally. The good setups have very little color, at least from what I've seen.
The G with open lense has decent lighting, though a major step down from my VW Passat equipped with OEM HIDs.
The Bi-Xenons on that car were awesome. When you turned on the high beams it was almost like running day-lighters.
I miss the HIDs and the headliner from the Passat, that's about it.

Last edited by Lip; 09-24-2005 at 06:47 PM.