G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Replaced factory Tires? Review needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Call me old, but, a tire that costs almost $300 and lasts just 15,000 miles is just stupid. When you can get something that is so close in performance and get double or more treadware out of it.
I have to agree, but some people have more disposable income than others and have the ability to spend what they want on the tires that perform the best regardless of the cost. I, unfortunately am not one of them.

I am hoping to get 25-30K out of my Avon's because I don't drive like a maniac, but do let the car run every once in a while . If I can't get at least that kind of mileage out of them, I will be shopping for another brand
next time around.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:20 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
just wanted to add my 2 cents on this firestone vs avon thing. took the firestones off after about 600 miles because they felt heavy and the balance issue was just not making me real happy. they seemed to be OK one day and then not OK the next. put a set of avon tech m550's on in the original factory size and noticed a big difference. the avons feel much lighter. almost like riding on air....where as the firestones felt more attached to the road. the avons are super quiet and smooth riding. barely notice they are there. they have a high level of grip on dry and wet roads. no confidence issues here. they look good and seem as wide as they firestones, although they are not the 235/50 size. and another pro on these tires, i am seeing about 1.5-1.8 miles per gallon better with these tires. they are not quite broken in yet, but i do like the ride on these tires. i guess it is all personal preference, but i do like the fact that these are so smooth and quiet. they roll like nothing else i have put on either of my G's. while they do not feel as planted as the firestones, they certainly do not grab any less in the dry and wet conditions. they did flat spot after sitting for five days while i was in vegas. but this only lasted about 10-20 miles and then they regained there quality ride. i am OK with that, as i do not usually let the car sit that long. i also noticed they took a whole lot less weight than the firestones, and did not even require the road force balance to get them right the very first time they were mounted and balanced. so did i like the firestones, yes. do i like the avons more, yes. but that is just my opinion. they are both good tires, it just boils down to personal preference. and since the avons do all the things the firestones did, plus apparently increased my MPG, and can be driven in snow, i would recommend these as a good replacement tire. i think firestone has a winning product, but i like the avons just a bit more to keep these as my tire of choice.

Firestone handled my returning the tires very professionally. not a problem getting my whole purchase amount refunded. just thought that would help others give them a try and not feel locked into the tire, if you did not like them.

Last edited by louisdarke; 09-04-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:07 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
I agree with you, if you dont have the budget for the Bridgestones then the avons are a good choice, cheap, but good. Yea louis i do like how we offer the 30 day trial on all our tires so people can see if they are the right tire for them. If your comparing the wide oval to the avon then yea they avon might be a better tire because the firehawk's are firestone tires... i work there and i wouldnt buy firestone, Bridgestone all the way. Like i said though the other option is the Bridgestone RE750 which is much cheaper and is a top performer and will last you atleast 30K miles.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:00 AM
need g35x tire rec

Hi,
Just started 3yr lease on 06 g35x, and i think the stock tires are really holding the car back.
Im kind of at a loss to what to do, since it is a leased car, i want to minimize my investment.
I originally thought about getting sumemr tires on new 18in rims, but that seems silly on a lease, even if i do hold onto the rims when i turn the car in.

So im thinking of slapping on some avons on the stock 17x7in rims.

So now my choice is, do i go for the summer m500 or the a/s 550s?
If i go the summer route, i would hang onto the stock turanzas as essentially my winter tire, how are they for that duty? do they suck all around?

Otherwise, is the m550 avons good enuff that i can replace straight out and just dump the tuaranzas? (I have a buddy with a altima that i can unload them but pretty much for nothing. I have about 1100miles on the stock tires)

Also size, im thinking 225/50 should be a big enuff upgrade over the 215s.. or should i push and go for the 235s?

TIA

Old 11-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I just replace the el-42s (only 10k) with avon 550 a/s and am very pleased. I have oem rims and put 235/50-17 on as they were the almost exact diameter as oem. The tires just fit on the rim width.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cfrago
I just replace the el-42s (only 10k) with avon 550 a/s and am very pleased. I have oem rims and put 235/50-17 on as they were the almost exact diameter as oem. The tires just fit on the rim width.
Would you happen to have pictures of the 235 avon's? I am thinking of going that route too in the spring probably unless I can find the 18 sports rims before that... Thanks...

Last edited by mikeee2; 11-18-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:17 PM
So i guess its looking like the m550s. Anyone with the m500 pls chime in, wondering if they are worlds better than the all seasons and worth the hassles of changing them come winter time.

So cfrago, no downsides to going with the 235s?

Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
do some homework on the avons. i had them for about 800 miles and they were great. then they developed a shake and they couldn't be balanced right from that point on. all the tires ended up having excessive road force numbers and were deemed bad. tire rack worked with me and were awesome in handling the issue. i returned them and went with a bridgestone turanza ls-v. they are really close and maybe a bit better than the avons. i have an '05 sedan with stock 17" rims and really think they go well with the car and my driving. they have seen 100mph+ and do just fine. just my 2 cents.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Gdup35sedan, any chance you can share pics of the 245-40-18's on your car? I ordered (be here in 5 - 7 days) a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's in this same size but am having second thoughts now. I do not not want a lot of extra fender well showing. You could ease my troubled mind if you could send a pic or two Thanks!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Thumbs up Goodyear Eagle RS-A

I have stock wheels, and I just put a set of Goodboot Eagle RS-A's in 245-45-18's on my sedan. (The ONLY tires I could find to fit south of San Antonio without ordering) I was worried at first, They do look good, and after a 300 mile run of the "Raging Bull", I think I made the right decision.

I have a pic, but it's too big to post, when I cut it down, I'll post it for you.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I have stock wheels, and I just put a set of Goodboot Eagle RS-A's in 245-45-18's on my sedan. (The ONLY tires I could find to fit south of San Antonio without ordering) I was worried at first, They do look good, and after a 300 mile run of the "Raging Bull", I think I made the right decision.

I have a pic, but it's too big to post, when I cut it down, I'll post it for you.
I want to see some pictures of it too.

Texasscount, is that the HKS Sport Muffler that you have? Did you install that after the z-tube and k&n? How's the sound of it?

Thanks...

Old 01-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
I want to see some pictures of it too.

Texasscount, is that the HKS Sport Muffler that you have? Did you install that after the z-tube and k&n? How's the sound of it?

Thanks...
I'm not sure which muffler it is, I do know that it is not made anymore. I'll try to find out. Everyone at the Raging Bull said it sounded great, especialy when I passed them!

Old 01-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Hey Tex....thanks for the info. Any rubbing issues with the 245-45's on stock car?

Old 01-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by G35Rhino
Hey Tex....thanks for the info. Any rubbing issues with the 245-45's on stock car?
Not a bit. After 450 miles of the wildest driving I have EVER done, I am completely satisfied with them. I also have a smoother ride and I don't have to worry about curb rash and potholes as much as before.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks Tex. I cancelled the order for the 245/40 Mich PS2's and instead ordered Eagle F1 GS-D3's in 245/45/18. I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks for the feedback.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replaced factory Tires? Review needed!