G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Notchy Manumatic returning to Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notchy Manumatic returning to Drive

When I switch to MM when I switch back to drive it is very notchy, a resistance, before it clicks back into drive. This only happens if I have shifted gears in MM, not just if I have popped it over and back. It is gradually getting worse and is getting quite stiff. In fact, it feels like I am forcing it to some degree. Anyone else?

Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Anyone?

Old 08-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Read your post yeasterday evening and messed with the manu-matic all the way to work this morning. Shifting, not shifting (just sidestepping for downshift, then back to drive - you know what I mean )

While I feel the spring that gives resistance between drive and the shift gate is stiff, it seems uniform in my car. No 'click' or 'grind' or anything that feels notchy. Just the 'bump' when the movement overcomes the resistance and slides home.

I was going to reply sooner, but wanted to mess with it to see if I could feel what you were describing. I use it all the time, but it feels 'normal' to me so I don't really pay that much attention to it. I wanted to give it a closer look.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I have never noticed that in my X d . I even payed extra attention this morning and went through the procedure with the tranny you quoted. I have 16,000 km on mine now.
Wayne

Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
No issues with mine either.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Read your post yeasterday evening and messed with the manu-matic all the way to work this morning. Shifting, not shifting (just sidestepping for downshift, then back to drive - you know what I mean )

While I feel the spring that gives resistance between drive and the shift gate is stiff, it seems uniform in my car. No 'click' or 'grind' or anything that feels notchy. Just the 'bump' when the movement overcomes the resistance and slides home.

I was going to reply sooner, but wanted to mess with it to see if I could feel what you were describing. I use it all the time, but it feels 'normal' to me so I don't really pay that much attention to it. I wanted to give it a closer look.
Thanks for taking the time to truly check that out. If you had it to the extent I had it though you would have read my post and thought "Hey, mine does that too." It's that noticeable and getting to be more so.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by big daddy d
Thanks for taking the time to truly check that out. If you had it to the extent I had it though you would have read my post and thought "Hey, mine does that too." It's that noticeable and getting to be more so.
GET TO THE DEALER MAN!

Seriously - you know how it is. You go through the day-to-day and sometimes you notice things and sometimes you don't. If it is that significant then you're right, I would have felt it. I just wanted to give it some attention before I spouted off.

I thought it may be one of those things that only us ****, forum visiting, top-notch performance expecting, G owners would notice.

TINK!

hey, what was that??? I've never heard that before.....

*drives another 20 miles trying to duplicate a sound that was likely a small pebble hitting inside the wheel well..*

Old 08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
If you're daring, you could pop out the lower console and look to see what's causing the bind on the mechanism. The good news is it should be an easy fix and nothing serious.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
TINK!

hey, what was that??? I've never heard that before.....

*drives another 20 miles trying to duplicate a sound that was likely a small pebble hitting inside the wheel well..*

Did my wife tell you about that?

Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
If you're daring, you could pop out the lower console and look to see what's causing the bind on the mechanism. The good news is it should be an easy fix and nothing serious.
Then it shouldn't cost Infiniti much to fix under warranty. I mentioned it to them when I went in for my first oil change and we went for a drive but wouldn't you know it.....it wouldn't do it.

It's like that about 85-90% of the time. Apparently our test drive was during the other 10-15%. I'll try again.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by big daddy d
Did my wife tell you about that?
ROFL!

( relieved that I'm not alone....)

Old 08-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Bump

Old 08-19-2005, 12:06 PM
5,000 miles on mine and it is very smooth between modes. I use it every day too.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 05 x does sometimes resist moving back to auto mode.
Most often in the middle of a right turn while accelerating, when I had forgotten that is was in manumode and move it to auto.
Feels like something is blocking the lever, then when I apply more pressure, it pops over.
The majority of the time it moves over very easly.

My car also has an issue with shifting up into 3rd gear while in manumode.
Sometimes it is very smooth and other times is varies from mildly firm to quite harsh. Harsh enough to upset the chassis and cause creaking in the dash, as well as feel the bang in the seat, pedal, floor, and shifter.
Auto mode is very smooth.

Dealer has it on two work orders so far. They have no clue yet.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Torque
Feels like something is blocking the lever, then when I apply more pressure, it pops over...............................

Dealer has it on two work orders so far. They have no clue yet.
Exactly the feel. I am going to see the dealer about it next week hopefully. I'll keep you posted if I get any info. Please do the same. Anyone else? Is this strictly an '05 X issue?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Notchy Manumatic returning to Drive