G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the guy wants to beat on the car once in a while whats wrong with that, wheel hop isnt caused by dumping the clutch, it might be a problem with your tires, your shocks, axles, tire balance, or alignment even

Old 08-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gting
Just have to learn to drive your car properly and maybe get some new tires.
Wow, informative.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Wow, informative.
It is more informative than your post. Plus read down the thread. Thanks for coming out!!

Old 08-17-2005, 11:41 PM
I have a 05 6MT and have the same problem, dropping the clutch and chirping 2nd..
It did it when I got it, and I have since upgraded to 19" G35 Coupe rims and it still does it, something with the car, not wheels or tires.. If anyone finds a fix, I am there, hitting 2nd should not make you think you just lost a wheel.

ALSO, independent rears do not normally do this, My last cars were( in order).. 65 Vette, 05 Dodge Magnum RT, 97 TT Supra and a 98 GS 400 Lexus.. ALL independent rears, none hopped at all..

Old 08-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
wheel hop isnt caused by dumping the clutch, it might be a problem with your tires, your shocks, axles, tire balance, or alignment even
Ummm.....yes it is. You've got a car sitting completely stationary. You rev up the motor to 3000-4000rpms, put the car in first, and release the clutch completely. What you've just done is sent over 220 ft/lbs of torque multiplied by a factor of over three instantly into the drivetrain. The drivetrain is shocked horribly, the tires spin like mad, various suspension and drivetrain components are pushed and pulled violently in their mounts, the tires grab, they spin, they grab, they spin, etc which causes them to start hopping. Stay in it long enough and you'll snap one of those nice OEM $500 halfshafts.

In the end, this was all caused by dumping clutch.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by jawjaw
Not true. Wheel hop can be a problem in live-axles. Traction bars have been around for decades to fight wheel hop. It all depends on how the suspension is designed. I agree about the stiffer bushings. They will not cure any wheel hope and will sacrifice ride comfort.
I agree if you're talking about old school muscle cars, but I was talking about later model Stangs and F-bodies. I should have been more specific. My old 94 Z28 rarely would exhibit axle tramp. Over the course of 3 years ownership, I think it happened twice. My Z28 had trailing arms, independant shocks/coil springs, and a torque arm to quell most axle tramp.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, old cars mostly because there are not many new rwd cars these days. Newer trucks can have wheel hop but they are not exactly performance vehicles. I think it has to do with the floating axle on leaf springs. The axle wants to twist and bounces on the springs. I suppose newer cars have trailing arms to prevent this. I'm not sure why IRS hops, though.

This thread reminds me of something funny. On one of the Monster Garage shows, they did something with an older Rolls Royce. Before hacking it up, Jesse was doing some burnouts. He ended up twisting the whole rear suspsension up in knots and pretty much totalled it, just by doing burn outs. Good stuff.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by jawjaw
Yeah, old cars mostly because there are not many new rwd cars these days. Newer trucks can have wheel hop but they are not exactly performance vehicles. I think it has to do with the floating axle on leaf springs. The axle wants to twist and bounces on the springs. I suppose newer cars have trailing arms to prevent this. I'm not sure why IRS hops, though.
Yep, leaf springs like those used on trucks and some older muscle cars definitely can get some serious hop. I think it has to do with the lack of trailing arms and the fact that the entire axle can go side/side, up/down, and forward/backward to some degree. I've gotten a lot of new F-150s to hop (accidently) and it's VERY violent.

Most of the reason IRS hops is because of it's independant design. With the independant design there are various connection points, lots of bushings, camber changes, and lots of locating parts that are primarily designed to keep the car stable in bumpy turns. The design doesn't make for a great launch setup. Ever seen a 99+ launch hard? Holy crap I've never seen a car so prone to excessive wheelhop. When you can actually see the wheels hopping, you know it's really bad. It's also why most late model drag-focused Cobras put a live axle back in. When the car squats on launch, the live axle stays straight and plants hard on both tires.

Last edited by DaveB; 08-18-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Lip
Originally Posted by dugg35
I have a 05 6MT and have the same problem, dropping the clutch and chirping 2nd..
ALSO, independent rears do not normally do this, My last cars were( in order).. 65 Vette, 05 Dodge Magnum RT, 97 TT Supra and a 98 GS 400 Lexus.. ALL independent rears, none hopped at all..
It's the setup- 911s for example will hop all day if you provoke them.
You may have read about the CTS V-Series as well. Major issues with axle hop. Could be related to suspension geometry etc.
Still, it's not exactly common-
Seems to me that the combination of bushings, dampening and spring rate, suspension mounting location, tire choice along with other factors could be the culprit. I'm guessing that is' tough to dial out without a compromise.

Last edited by Lip; 08-18-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
Ummm.....yes it is. You've got a car sitting completely stationary. You rev up the motor to 3000-4000rpms, put the car in first, and release the clutch completely. What you've just done is sent over 220 ft/lbs of torque multiplied by a factor of over three instantly into the drivetrain. The drivetrain is shocked horribly, the tires spin like mad, various suspension and drivetrain components are pushed and pulled violently in their mounts, the tires grab, they spin, they grab, they spin, etc which causes them to start hopping. Stay in it long enough and you'll snap one of those nice OEM $500 halfshafts.

In the end, this was all caused by dumping clutch.
well no **** the wheels hop because of other factors not just cause you dump the clutch you get wheel hop

Old 08-21-2005, 01:25 AM
First off, I had a 2003 coupe 5at for 50 some odd thousand miles. Various tires and NO wheel hop. Ever.

With my 2005 Sedan 6MT I get wheel hop while warming the tires at the strip, losing traction accelerating in 2nd or third when conditions are poor. Basically, wheel hop can and does happen in my 05.

I have modified the suspension (see sig) and I still have the problem. Any suggestions?

Old 08-21-2005, 11:33 AM
It was wet on my Fri. drive home. I turned the VDC to have a little fun and experienced more bad wheel hop on a smooth wet road. I did not drop the clutch, just gave it a little extra gas after the clutch fully engaged.

If you ask me, it seems like it's the tires. My stock Goodyears grab very well in the dry and almost as good in the wet. I bet they are getting a little bit of traction here and there on a spin and causing wheel hop.

Old 08-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't think it's the tires. I use GoodYear Alpin's for the winter and have the OEM rubber on now. Either way, I have wheel hop. My coupe had Alpin's also, with no wheel hop. The sedan and coupe have the same suspension, I use the same tires on both cars (winter tires) and wheel hop is still there.

Wheel hop is really the "winding up" of the axle and suspension (turning with the tires) and then releasing and "winding up" again. A few z's on my350z.com have wheel hop, others do not. I just don't get it.

Old 08-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
well no **** the wheels hop because of other factors not just cause you dump the clutch you get wheel hop
You won't experience hop if your were to slip the clutch and reduce drivetrain shock. Dump the clutch at high rpms and your chances of wheelhop increase dramatically. That was my point.

BTW, it's not the tires. My Turanzas will hop horribly on some wet when the VDC is off.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:44 PM
It's the independent rear suspension.

My Mustang GT never wheel hops on a hard launch. Mustang Cobra owners are constantly complaining of wheel hop because of their IRS. The new GTO has some crazy wheel hop. Even Corvettes do.

Ford was smart with the new Mustangs by leaving the live axle in place. Even the upcoming 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra will have a soild rear axle.

IRS + Low-end torque + sticky tires = wheel hop

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop