Automatic Drive Positioner aka ADP

Well the owners manual says this about that:

ENTRY/EXIT FUNCTION
This system is designed so that the driver's
seat and steering column will automatically
move when the automatic transmission
selector lever is in the P (Park)
position. This allows the driver to get into
and out of the driver's seat more easily.
(This feature is not available on models
equipped with manual transmission.)

I stayed up late last night reading the service manual for the 05 G Sedan. in particular the section SE in ADP.

Here some screen captures of a few points in the schematic.

Attached Thumbnails Automatic Drive Positioner aka ADP-driver-seat-controll-diagram.jpg   Automatic Drive Positioner aka ADP-driver-seat-controll-diagram_1.jpg  
Old 08-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it sound reasonable that by adding the AT park switch to the wiring harness that we should be able to enable or disable the ADP by toggling the switch and have our seat and steering wheel move back on exit?

Old 08-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Here is a shot from the symptom chart. Judging by the symptom chart ot seems to me that it is that simple but I know how these things can snowball.

I corrected the pic.. I had some other server crap going on at the same time and it blocked part ofthe chart.

Attached Thumbnails Automatic Drive Positioner aka ADP-entry.exit-symptom-chart.jpg  

Last edited by Foo_G; 08-19-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
On paper it does - are you certain the wiring is the same in the 6MT except for the switch?

How were you planning to toggle the seat? Tying it to the e-brake (as shown on the left) would work (I believe), but I don't know if I'd want my seat and wheel doing the cha-cha every time I engaged the ebrake.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

How familiar are you with how it works in the 5AT? I mean, as far as when the seat/wheel move and when they remain in place?

Old 08-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
On paper it does - are you certain the wiring is the same in the 6MT except for the switch?

How were you planning to toggle the seat? Tying it to the e-brake (as shown on the left) would work (I believe), but I don't know if I'd want my seat and wheel doing the cha-cha every time I engaged the ebrake.
the ebrake is part of the cancel circuit as is the park switch for the entry/exit feature that moves the seat bac and the steering wheel, helm , into the dash and up.

It seems that with the absence of the park switch on the MT this exit/entry feature will not work at all. I think.

As far as togglingt e switch I could just start out with a single pole single throw switch and set it on or off to see if it in fact works. It sems to just be a ground switch that sets Park and since this is a manual this might not have any impact on the ECM as far as driveability goes.

If it works out I could then start looking at some contact switch and have the ebrake set it as well. Every time I exit the vehicle I set the ebrake which sets the ebrake switch and then would set the "park" switch which would then hopefully enable the entry/exit feature.

I want this thing badly!

Last edited by Foo_G; 08-19-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
How familiar are you with how it works in the 5AT? I mean, as far as when the seat/wheel move and when they remain in place?

the fmemory feature will only work if the car is under 4 to 7 mph and the entry/exit will only work when in "park" according to the diagrams and the symptom chart. Aside from that the feature can be turned off by resetting the ECU and turned back on again with a series of door switch open/close.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by Foo_G
the ebrake is part of the cancel circuit as is the park switch for the entry/exit feature that moves the seat bac and the steering wheel, helm , into the dash and up.

It seems that with the absence of the park switch on the MT this exit/entry feature will not work at all. I think.

As far as togglingt e switch I could just start out with a single pole single throw switch and set it on or off to see if it in fact works. It sems to just be a ground switch that sets Park and since this is a manual this might not have any impact on the ECM as far as driveability goes.

If it works out I could then start looking at some contact switch and have the ebrake set it as well. Every time I exit the vehicle I set the ebrake which sets the ebrake switch and then would set the "park" switch which would then hopefully enable the entry/exit feature.

I want this thing badly!
I believe it will work exactly as you state. My only concern was patching it to the ebrake. I'm not sure if I want my seat/wheel doing the cha-cha everytime I set the ebrake.

In my 5AT, when I pull to a stop and hit park, nothing happens. When I engage the ebrake, nothing happens. Not until I shut the car down and back the ignition all the way past accessory to off do I get the seat/wheel cha cha.

How will the trigger to resume their former position work? I couldn't tell without the circuit narrative if the ADP triggers seat memory to move the seat/wheel back into the preferred position (wherever the seat memory is set) when power/ground is applied/removed.

I'm not that familiar with how the seat memory, etc work in the 6MT. I'm assuming they just stay where they are set in relation to the two available setting presets. I know the 5AT with intellikey is wired to accept the input from the FOB, but I believe that input comes from elsewhere.

Also, I'll watch the wheel when I go to the gym in a few minutes, but I don't think the telescope pulls the wheel in. I'm pretty sure the wheel just rotates up to the highest position, and the seat moves completely aft on it's track.

I need to study the schemie some more. LOL.

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 08-19-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 05 with Pkg C. I really like the entry/exit feature. Would it be possible to wire it in combination with the ebrake and the door open switch? Press the ebrake gets the function ready to work and opening the drivers door completes the circuit. Not sure if I'm explaining it clearly.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

If you have Package C you already have intellikey, yes? Are you talking about having the feature work in a case where the car remains running?

Old 08-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by esfoad
I have an 05 with Pkg C. I really like the entry/exit feature. Would it be possible to wire it in combination with the ebrake and the door open switch? Press the ebrake gets the function ready to work and opening the drivers door completes the circuit. Not sure if I'm explaining it clearly.
drivers door is already in the loop as configured in the MT jsut as with the AT. I really think this thing is jus missing an input from the AT park switch. The seat return can be married to the the Key FOB of both tehsmart key and non-smart ke remotes. So when driver one returns and kits the remote, enters the car and place the key in the ignition the ADP responds to that drivers settings.

The syste is setup to make sure the car is in park, brake set, Key In Engine Off and when the door opens and key is removed if all the conditions are true then it rolls everything to the exit position.

Last edited by Foo_G; 08-19-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:16 AM
If you have Package C you already have intellikey, yes? Are you talking about having the feature work in a case where the car remains running?
if that is the case that might be a tough one to pull off becasue now you are lookingat obfuscating the status of the ignition which is key in engine on

Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 AM
here are the test steps for the exit/entry circuit.

Attached Thumbnails Automatic Drive Positioner aka ADP-entry.exit.test-steps.jpg  
Old 08-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Well I caled my sales associate who I asked to see if thier service department could change the ecu/pc for to make this work just yesterday. Yesterday the sales guy says they can't...

I took that for it would not work. Today I spoke with him to see if he knows a service tech that might be sympathetic to my situation and provide some advice. I explained that Ihavebeen reading the service manualand found something this information that points to the fact they ca do it.

Now the sales guys says that when he asked yesterday that the resonce was no they won't do it becasue of liability issues essentially they are modifyig the car to do something that does not come from the factory that way. Since they are publically traded company they won't touch it. And I can't blae them for wanting to cover their a55e5.

Not seems apparent to me that it very well could be possibe to this trough the computer or more precisely their consult-ii system. If any of you out there knows a techthatmight be willing to speakoff the record about this I should appreciate it if you would connect us. I'll call anywhere in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico to find out.

Thanks.

Last edited by Foo_G; 08-19-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

So seat memory is stored in the 6MT FOB just as in the 5AT FOB, it just requires the key turn (just as in 5AT) to activate?

I was unsure of how it funtioned in the 6MT. I drove a few in the process of buying my 5AT, but didn't remember exactly how it functioned.

Old age..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Drive Positioner aka ADP