G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Roof Rack Solutions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rack Solutions

Anyone have or know of a good roof rack for the G35 Sedan..? In paticular one that connects into the plastic rails on the roof, rather than into the door frame..?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned
Question

What model are/did you review..? This ski/snowboard rack has my interest, but I do not see where it is compatible: http://www.rv-inno.com/html_pages/sn...ghlowtype.html

Model: Low Type RH720

Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
yeah, i have the thule universal system. couldnt be happier.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by RLampke
Anyone have or know of a good roof rack for the G35 Sedan..? In paticular one that connects into the plastic rails on the roof, rather than into the door frame..?
Hey RLampke,

I think overall I like Yakima over Thule, but for the G35 sedan, the Thule seems to fit more securely than the Yakima. I also like the Thule clips (covered in a type of vinyl that is less prone to scratch paint) over the Yakima clips (bare metal that you need to put vinyl tape on which eventually falls off after a few months). The foot pads on the Thule also seem to fit better than the Yakima foot pads.

I've got a Thule base rack system and then use Yakima's attachments (the Yakima Viper is my favorite bike attachment). I also like Yakima's ski/snowboard attachments better than Thule's.

I haven't seen any racks that don't go into the door frame (w/o drilling into the car), but I think the door frame attachment method also provides for the most stable attachment point. It only takes me about 5 minutes to put the rack on and take it off, so I only have it on my car when I'm using it.

Sorry, I think I might've gone off-topic a little but I hope this helps.

Thomas

P.S. I buy my stuff from www.ageebike.com (they have the best prices I've been able to find).

Old 08-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Banned
Question

Tomheo - thanks for the reply.

To further this conversation, have you or anyone consider an "aero" box like the Thule spirit...? Since gas is becoming as expensive as coffee, a-lot of people up here are using these for carrying ski/snowboards. Not sure how one would look on my G35, but I do have a friend who has one on his BMW 3, and it's not bad - but his is too long for the car. I think a shorter one might look good especially on my G, but not sure.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM
i picked up that thule fairing for my rack. i noticed that when i didnt use it, i felt alot of drag. of course back then i was carrying snowboards, so afterwards it was a huge improvement. ymmv (no pun intended)

Old 08-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by RLampke
Tomheo - thanks for the reply.

To further this conversation, have you or anyone consider an "aero" box like the Thule spirit...? Since gas is becoming as expensive as coffee, a-lot of people up here are using these for carrying ski/snowboards. Not sure how one would look on my G35, but I do have a friend who has one on his BMW 3, and it's not bad - but his is too long for the car. I think a shorter one might look good especially on my G, but not sure.
No problem.

I've never tried one of the box carrier things, but my guess would be that it would use more gas due to the weight and the size (which I'm assuming would lead to extra drag). I've driven by cars with those things on top and they're pretty loud (which to me makes me think they create a lot of resistance). If you decide to try one, just make sure your skis or snowboards fit inside.

I agree with tkman00, the fairing makes a HUGE difference in gas mileage and noise reduction.

Thomas