G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Oil Change Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I have a bunch of them from my 03 Altima (which I still have). These cars use the same oil filters, as well.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hilmar2k
So I have an '05 G35s 6MT with about 4000 miles on it. So I took it in (not to the dealer) for an oil change. I have since noticed a fairly large oil puddle on my garage floor (seems like maybe 1/2 a quart or so). Extremely unhappy, I checked the oil level, which was down a touch, and tool it back to the shop. They tell me it is "frame oil". he told me that on this car, there is no way to remove the oil filter without a bunch of oil spilling out onto the frame, and subsequently onto your garage floor. Anyone else experience this? He told me it was true for all of the 3.5L Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. I had an '02 Maxima, and never noticed this problem.
I hate the damn dealers treat customers as morons They think that all of us don't js about cars. Yes, there is plastic cover under the car, but you are suppose to remove it when changing oil! No reponsible dealer would leave the cover on when changing oil. I can't believe they even invent the term "frame oil"!!!

Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad1
I hate the damn dealers treat customers as morons They think that all of us don't js about cars. Yes, there is plastic cover under the car, but you are suppose to remove it when changing oil! No reponsible dealer would leave the cover on when changing oil. I can't believe they even invent the term "frame oil"!!!
You misread the post, it was not at the dealer.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kei
I don't understand why they these places don't even think about about removing the plastic shield, isn't it common sense? It's only a few bolts so take them off and clean the inside of the shield, if it's still leaking, they may have not changed the washer and used the old one.

I was ok with the same washer for 1 oil change but the second time, it started to leak so it's best to change it everytime.

I thought it was something like 15 bolts- I always have Lokey Infiniti change the oil.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
it's 12 bolts and it takes for ever buts it's better to take it off rather than have oil drip on it which will drip oil under your car for weeks.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
My owners manual says its four corner bolts and a center clip. No mention of 12 bolts...

Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by DP03
My owners manual says its four corner bolts and a center clip. No mention of 12 bolts...
well, your manual has obviously never changed the oil on a G...it's around 12-15 bolts...I change my oil myself...

Old 08-25-2005, 04:44 PM
"I change my oil myself..."

As do I. Just haven't done the first one yet on the G. Is this cover funtional, or simply to get more people to run to the dealers for oil changes? Some under covers have a purpose, others don't.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:35 PM
the cover is part of the aero kit which reduces the drag coeffcient slightly. I think the main benefit is that it somewhat seals off the motor to junk on the roadway.

There is a little hole by the the filter and plug area. I have thought about making theis slightly bigger so I can fit my peter beaters in there to get the filter and drain plug out.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
lol
love the oil stories.
remove the shield next time I guess

Old 08-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
FWIW.....
That's based on using a hoist.
At the stealership they don't take out the ones across the front.
Only the back 4 or so & let it hang down.
I've seen them use a bungie to hold it forward out of the way

Old 08-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Always one to present the other side, here goes.

I've been lazy and taking my cars (6) to my local Jiffy Lube for about 5 years now (ever since I started making a few bucks, and the time became more valuable than the $). I hang around outside the service bay, and talk cars & BS with the techs while they are changing my oil, etc. First time I took my "G" there (1,000 miles on her), they already knew about the underbody pan and quoted me $10 extra for R & R, in addition to normal oil change $. Lucky I already knew about the underbody pan removal, due to time & research spent on this site

Just took my "G" in yesterday morning, had two techs 23-25 yrs old - really interested in the 6MT aspect of my car and asked me a lot of questions. Guy underneath was using an air wrench to remove the bolts from the pan (zip, zip, zip), with the speed/pressure turned down real low, and he did the final tightening by hand with a 3/8th's ratchet. He seemed to care.

Do I think every place is like this? NO.

Do I think even this place will always be like this? NO.

Are there pimply faced 18 year olds working at oil change places who are incompetent and/or just don't care? YOU BETCHA!

Is this particular place being especially careful with me, because I'm watching them? Maybe ... probably, even, to some degree (it's human nature).

But I think that talking with the guys and relating to them on a car level is good for all of us, and, I know they can tell I appreciate them, and what they do. Plus, if they've worked there long, they've got a lot of stories about what they've seen people do to and with their cars, from the greatest neglect to the most **** perfection. It can be enlightening!

The nearest dealership is almost an hour's drive, so that's not an option, either. Also, I was between appointments with a little time on my hands in another town one day last year, spotted a quick lube place with an open bay, and drove on over. Did the same thing, talked and joked with the techs while they did their thing,etc. Was very happy with their work, no oil spills or other disasters, etc. - out in 10 minutes. As long as they have Valvoline 5/30 wt, I'm good to go.

I'm sure there is a lot of abuse and incompetence at many of these places, but with a little prudence, caution, and BS - it works for me. Just another side to the coin that is life.

My $0.02

Last edited by dbarnes; 08-25-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by shodog
the cover is part of the aero kit which reduces the drag coeffcient slightly.
Actually it's standard on all G35s. But you may have phrased it generically, in which case I'm just being an a$$ correcting you.
There is a little hole by the the filter and plug area. I have thought about making theis slightly bigger so I can fit my peter beaters in there to get the filter and drain plug out.
I thought about that myself, but the problem with doing that is that you'll still get a ton of oil runoff from the filter when you break the seal to the mount. The old-timers here are absolutely right when they advise to suck it up and remove the dozen or so bolts that hold the engine shroud and get the thing out of the way. I might try wrapping an oversized freezer Ziploc bag around the bottom of the filter next time if I decide I'm too lazy to yank the shroud. If it works, I'll let you know. Please contain your excitement.

And dbarnes, good post about finding a local oil-change shop that cares. Few and far between I'm afraid.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Why would anyone not trust their dealer but willing to trust the care of their vehicle to another repair shop? Maybe it's just me but I'm thinking if I can't /won't do it myself, it's going to he one's that are certified on my specific brand. I know you'll think/ say they suck but once again ther're certified on my particular brand and thus are liable for any screw-ups ( lack of a better word).
BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:30 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
"I change my oil myself..."

As do I. Just haven't done the first one yet on the G. Is this cover funtional, or simply to get more people to run to the dealers for oil changes? Some under covers have a purpose, others don't.
it's very functional...besides aerodynamics, it keep s all the crap out of your engine bay and protects my added fuel line for my AUX fuel pump on the SC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Issue