G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Trunk release no longer working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Trunk release no longer working

My battery died a couple days ago on a trip to SF. In order to access my trunk to get cables, I had to pull the manual release through the pass-through. Ever since I got it up and running again, my trunk releases haven't worked. Both the one on the keyfob and the one in the car. Yes, I made sure the switch in the glove-box was in the correct position. Any ideas?

G

Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's not making any noise upon pushing a button..it may be fried.

What happened to your battery? I just added water to mine the other day as it was pretty low.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:57 AM
How old is the car battery? Maybe it needs replaced. However, if it can turn over an engine, I would think it could open the trunk. I would check the fuses as well. See if one looks dead. You might try spraying some 4-way lubricant into the trunk lock mechanism. Maybe it's gunked up or something.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
It's most likely the fuse, as it doesn't even make the *click* when I press either button. The battery is now 4 days old, but when I had it replaced it had drained to nothing twice, so I had to replace it.

G

Old 08-27-2005, 06:41 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoBau
My battery died a couple days ago on a trip to SF. In order to access my trunk to get cables, I had to pull the manual release through the pass-through. Ever since I got it up and running again, my trunk releases haven't worked. Both the one on the keyfob and the one in the car. Yes, I made sure the switch in the glove-box was in the correct position. Any ideas?

G
Yes try the easy stuff first.....fuse (altho you may not find one if the BCM controls the trunk release), spare keyfob and try it up close to the trunk due to weak car battery, try opening the trunk with the car running.....

.The trunk release actuator or even the BCM may be faulty -- dealer time.

C.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
This is irking me quite a bit. Checked the fuses, no go. It's odd that it would go out a) right when the battery goes kerplunk, b) the only time I use the manual-release for the first time. The battery is just fine, I've tried with the car running, etc. etc. Nada.

G

Old 08-27-2005, 07:49 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Have you checked the manual to see if there is some funky safety thing with the manual latch? It could be something as stupid as some little reset or something that you have to push. Certainly check it out and call the dealer to ask them if they know before you take it in and they charge you. Definately let us know what it ends up being - could be useful information later on.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoBau
This is irking me quite a bit. Checked the fuses, no go. It's odd that it would go out a) right when the battery goes kerplunk, b) the only time I use the manual-release for the first time. The battery is just fine, I've tried with the car running, etc. etc. Nada.

G
hmmm...don't want to worry you, but jump starting could do something strange to the computers (iv'e heard).

Just to mark it off the list, do a battery disconnect overnight, or a few hours, whatever....This may do some kind of reset to the BCM.

If that's a no go, then I'd say it's the trunk actuator that's cooked, or it's a more permanent issue with the BCM. Either way it's warranty.

C.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A few weeks ago I had my sedan in for some routine service. I had noticed that the rear spoiler brake light was out, so obviously the led strip was shot. Wrong!!!
A tech checked out the light etc.., he found out that the wiring harness connecting the trunk release and to the spoiler light was cut do to improper assembly from the factory.
It seemed that every time my trunk was opened, the wiring loom came into contact with the trunk arm( hope I am calling this piece the correct name) thus eventually cutting into 11 wires. Ouch!!!
My trunk release was malfunctioning from time to time where it would not release via the door locks, only from the key fob release.
It was a good thing that the car is still under waranty since it took two days to trace and rewire the car.
Everything seems to be ok now.

B.