G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Don't buy exxon and mobil gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't buy exxon and mobil gas

Why not, Yesterday,I recieved an email that was going around. To sum it up in a few words they are boycoting exxon and mobil gas. They ask that you send this information or an email to ten other people. Not sure this will work. But we if we all band together it might just do the trick. The theory is exxon and mobil are the two largest oil companys there. If no one buys their gas, they might want to lower their gas so someone will buy it. We can stop when it hits 1.30 a gallon. Sound crazy? So does the greed of the oil companys charging over $3.15 a gallon.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 428hpsnake
Sound crazy?
Yep. It does.

This has been going around forever and it's about as retarded as it gets. Send me your credit card number, name, and address, and I'll be sure to sign you up for the anti-spam list you need to be on.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Old 09-05-2005, 02:01 PM
50% of the people swear it doesn't work and that it "sounds crazy".
50% of the people say it works.

I tend to lean towards the side that it works.
It's called competition.
If even 10% of the people who almost always buy Mobil/Exxon gas stopped, Mobil/Exxon
would suddenly not be selling as well and out of competition drop their prices
to lure in more buyers.

However, once they drop a few cents lower than the competition, their buyers
will come back...then the point is ruined.
So people would NEED to NOT buy their gas for weeks, or MONTHS for it
to REALLY work.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
The only people that get hurt are the LOCAL retailers. EXXONMOBIL, SHELL, TEXACO, and CHEVRON retailers, ALL buy their gas from the SAME refineries. They ask for a little different formula, but it ALL comes from the same place. If Flinthills can't fill the tanks, then CITGO will. The REFINERIES set the base price for the most part. They are not going to get hurt. They will just sell it to whoever IS selling gas.

Where you see the DAILY ups and downs, that's the retailers. It takes 6 WEEKS to get crude oil from the wellhead turned into gas for your tank. This price "fvckuation" that we see is pure speculation and greed. There is NO reason to raise the price of gas that you bought last week for $2.20 wholesale, UNTIL YOU BUY THE NEXT DAMN LOAD!

Old 09-05-2005, 03:25 PM
they only raise their profits because the crude oil prices are going up. what, you want them to sell it for 1.30 a gallon? and then go bankrupt because are makeing not profit whatsoever?
not buying their gas is ganna hurt you guys more then it hurts them!

Old 09-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Who's being greedy? I'm sure you didn't mind when gas was dirt cheap and oil companies were laying off people. Out of the thousands upon thousands of people that work for these oil companies, why do people think one or two of them are making all the money? Name an exec. that is responsible for high prices and going home with extra million dollar bills? But oh wait, you got this info through email so it must be true. Sound crazy, yes your post did.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Don't lick the envelopes you get from ATM machines because they could be laced with cyanide. According to an email I received, three people have died from this already.

EDIT: Move this to Off Topic...

Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 PM
I am showing my age (47), but I remember all the same stuff going on in the late 70's when the American public grabbed their collective ankles over the "fuel shortage", which was the biggest load of garbage ever. We are seeing a sharp spike in fuel costs now due to several things: the percieved danger to oil wells and supplies in other countries by those countries that hate America, the destruction of oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico from hurricane Katrina...and, THE ALL-CONSUMING GREED OF THE OIL INDUSTRY. The oil companies are never going to be honest, and give the American consumer a fair shake. They have been allowed to run the show forever, and have most of Washington in their pockets so that they are never made to face the music about their "consumer terrorism". They warn us of shortages and lack of availability, when tanks are full to the brim all over, and the refineries are told to limit production while being paid as if they are running full steam.

Sad, but true...boycotting the major suppliers won't amount to a hill of beans.
Until somebody has the stones to uncover the source of the costs then we are all doomed to pay the price for their cowardice and treason.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Gas

I have boycotted their service stations ever since the Exxon Valdez incident.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Call the Cops
the governor in CT said she would take tax off which drops it to like 2.90 for reg.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:36 PM
It's called supply and demand. Get a grip people. Open market spot prices have gone up about 40 to 50 cents in a week. All gas prices, no matter where you buy it, are going to up, oil prices and lack of production in the gulf coast is the obvious reason. If you don't buy exxon or mobil, they just sell their gas at spot prices to chevron, BP, etc. If you buy gas during an oil shortage, and of course you have to, then you drive up the price. You'll just put the exxon or mobil retailer in a pinch, they usually only make about 4 cents per gallon anyways. Retailers make pretty good money, but you need a huge monetary investment to get started. Quit blaming the oil companies or retailers, blame all of us. We drive SUVs and sports cars, don't car pool, and waste gas by driving to fast(yes I'm guilty as well). I work for BP so I know how much money we are making right now, but we have been making great money for the last couple of years. We will continue to make money even if the oil prices drop, because people use gasoline, it's just a fact, get over it.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by davistld01
I am showing my age (47), but I remember all the same stuff going on in the late 70's when the American public grabbed their collective ankles over the "fuel shortage", which was the biggest load of garbage ever. We are seeing a sharp spike in fuel costs now due to several things: the percieved danger to oil wells and supplies in other countries by those countries that hate America, the destruction of oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico from hurricane Katrina...and, THE ALL-CONSUMING GREED OF THE OIL INDUSTRY. The oil companies are never going to be honest, and give the American consumer a fair shake. They have been allowed to run the show forever, and have most of Washington in their pockets so that they are never made to face the music about their "consumer terrorism". They warn us of shortages and lack of availability, when tanks are full to the brim all over, and the refineries are told to limit production while being paid as if they are running full steam.

Sad, but true...boycotting the major suppliers won't amount to a hill of beans.
Until somebody has the stones to uncover the source of the costs then we are all doomed to pay the price for their cowardice and treason.

Dude, you got some good conspiracy theories going there. First of all, most oil companies run at their limit 95% of the time. Second, oil companies are forbidden by law to talk to one another(jail time and fines). Third, over time refineries lose eficiency and have to come down for maintanence, causing shortages. Also, if you haven't heard, there was a little hurricane that killed thousands of people, displacing more, and causing billions of dollars in damage. This will effect our whole economy, not just our gas prices.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's cool, there's no Exxon or Mobil stations here anyway. Geez, this current gas price situation is due to Hurricane Katrina, not greed on anyone's part anyway, it hurts to pay more sure, but it doesn't bother me when something like this is the cause!

Old 09-05-2005, 07:39 PM
I suppose I did kind of roar from my soapbox, didn't I? g35cas, I am sure that what you say is truth, at least from your point of view or the point of view you are allowed to see. And, of course, I could be completely wrong about it all. I doubt very much, I am wrong about it all, but I could certainly be. I am just a consumer, after all. I do wonder if the oil companies would be generous enough to take a cut in profits to help out the consumers that are helping to generate their very generous paychecks, in order to bring the price at the pump down. I know it can be done as easily as the leading automobile makers invest money into their own finance companies (GMAC, Ford Credit, etc.) to artificially buy down interest rates to the 0.0%-2.9% levels.

I do know about Katrina and the effect it has had on fuel prices, and can only imagine the effect that it will have for a long time to come. I have read about offshore rigs being uprooted and moved almost to shore, or have vanished altogether. All of this combines to push prices up, due to a cut in supply. If this is the reason, along with America's usage in our SUV's and sports cars, and not at all to do with the "conspiracy theories" that I have alluded to in my above post...I stand corrected, and will gladly be at the pump tomorrow for my $3.45 a gallon fuel.

Last edited by davistld01; 09-05-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by 428hpsnake
The theory is exxon and mobil are the two largest oil companys there.
Exxon and Mobil aren't the two largets oil comapnies, they are the largest oil company. They merged years ago, showing the age of this email.

I never get tired of watching people putting their faith in internet hoaxes. Hey, did you hear Microsoft is paying huge money just to send email? A friend of a friend of a friend just got a check for $200k, I'm quitting my job tomorrow....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Don't buy exxon and mobil gas