G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Opinion needed on 6MT '05 or '06 Sedan.. (Worry about MT reliability)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
6 redesigns of the tranny also suggest an inherent problem.
That may be true... I still don't think I'd buy / not buy the MT based on the [still] relatively small chance of problems. Are there any cases where warranties weren't honored that you know of?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
Why would you get an 06 when people are claiming that they have gotten 05’s for $2000 below invoice? Is Bluetooth worth about $5000 to you?
Some people might want the 06 because no matter how low the mileage on the 05, it'll always be a year older in the used car market. That will make it depreciate faster, all other things being equal.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by cfjan
Thinking about getting it at the end of the year, that's why I said '05 or '06.
If you wait until the end of the year, it will probably be difficult to locate an '05 6MT.... it's somewhat of a rare car to begin with, since the majority of cars on dealer lots are 5ATs.

6800 miles on my 6MT and no problems (yet)... I drive it moderately hard too.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
I have a '05 6MT and my best friend has a '05 M3 and we agree that both gearboxes and clutches feel very similar. If Infiniti can emulate the tranny on a BMW M car then it has done a good job with this last revision of the transmission. I have yet to have the problem with the clutch staying in halfway but I just got the car and I don't anticipate sidestepping the clutch any time soon.

The only gripe I have with the linkage is that when the car is in 6th gear the stick wiggles around like it is stuck in a big bowl of Jell-o.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
Hi All,

Thinking about getting a 6MT sedan. The only thing that worries me is all these manual tranny problem that people posted. Grinding, synchoro problem, etc.

I am not as worried about the clutch, as it is a replacable item. But is the tranny internal built up to the task for the VQ35??

Thanks for all the opinions.

Eric
Congrats ahead of time on your purchase.

I owned a 2004 G35 6mt for a while, and really never abused it. The car was taken to the strip twice and after 15k of miles, the tranny needed to be replaced due to 2nd and 6th gear syncros failing.

I still bought a 05 6mt, just because I hope Nissan fixed the problem. So far this tranny has been pretty good. Only at times it acts like it doesn't want to go into first at a light so I just go to 2nd then first. This is when not moving. But its rare this happens so it isn't that big of a deal for me right now. All the other gears seem to be tight, and smooth entering them. I currently have 5k on my 05 already. Remember, you have a 60-70k drivetrain warranty (forget which one it was off hand), so you are covered for a long time.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by doogie
That's like saying
"I want to buy a car but I heard that some people get lemons"

You know, it's possible you could get struck by lightning on the way out of the dealer's office. Prolly best to avoid it

There's no 'problem' with the MTs. I'm sure for every documented case Infiniti has with the MT tranny, there's a matching one with the AT too. It's not like you'd be buying a first model-year.
There are actual problems with the 6mts. That is why there are so many revisions of the 6mt out.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by doogie
That may be true... I still don't think I'd buy / not buy the MT based on the [still] relatively small chance of problems. Are there any cases where warranties weren't honored that you know of?
I didn't buy the 6MT mostly because I didn't like the feel. The reliability was a definite concern, but I figured I'd go ahead and get a 100K mile warranty and cover myself. I haven't heard of many cases of Infiniti not warrantying the tranny. If my 03 were to get totaled, I'd give an 05 6MT a test drive to see if the feel had improved.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik
DaveB,

interesting info... tell me more about the proportioning valve in the clutch master cylinder. so what u r saying is that the result of the activation of the valve, the clutch pedal is held in?

it seems that this is what i am experiencing. my clutch pedal does not return to the 'resting' position when i launch the car (not hard launches) at around 3500-4000 RPM. i do slip the clutch a little, but after i release the clutch, the pedal seems stuck half way... VERY ANNOYING!!! it interupts my rythmn to shift. the only way to release the clutch from the half way position is to let go of the throttle...

this valve may also harm my clutch too? any way to defeat the valve? by the way, no clutch burning smells for me... oh, also, is the valve only activated with the VDC activated or off? to the best of my recollection, i have only experienced the clutch held in issue with the VDC off.

interesting info and it is a probable answer to what i have been experiencing.

Jon
Keep in mind I'm not certain of this, but the way the 05 clutch operates, it sounds much like what the EVO/WRX guys describe. Many of them remove the valve. The downside is you'd have to change the fluid and risk your warranty.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Hopefully the tranny will be improved upon again for the '06 model...

Old 09-07-2005, 08:32 PM
I have a 05 6MT Sedan.. Best manual feel I have ever driven... Could not be happier..

Old 09-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Good to hear that!!

Originally Posted by dugg35
I have a 05 6MT Sedan.. Best manual feel I have ever driven... Could not be happier..

Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB

The 6MT on the other hand has it's share of problems and the 03s and early 04s seem to be most problematic. I don't know why Nissan can't get this tranny right. I drove a couple 6MTs and just couldn't justify it's "feel" in a sport luxury car. The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were notchy, the shifter has annoying vibration, the throw bearing rattles when in neutral, and clutch take up is hit or miss. These were all things I didn't like about my 96 Maxima's 5MT that I had driven for nearly 6 years. I wasn't about to deal with the annoyances for another 6 years. I also wasn't going to risk have a tranny drop a gear or syncro over it's life which seems to be a common problem. I drive my cars hard and have never had a bad syncro or gear go out. It's seems to be all to common among the G/Z crowd. I can't believe there are that many bad drivers out there plus Nissan warranties the work. 6 redesigns of the tranny also suggest an inherent problem.
For once I can agree completley with you. The G35 has a terribly rough and poor transmission. On the other hand I have been driving Nissans with MTs for about 6 years and have gotten use to the notchiness which almost feels like you are damaging the tranny when shifting. I knew I would like the automatic, but I would just have too many regrets if I didn't get the 6mt. 12,000 miles and no regret, I love every second in this car.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Love the gearbox but ONE QUESTION

Originally Posted by dugg35
Ditto. I just put my 400th mile on my '05 6mt and the catch point has settled in for me and I'm finding it increasingly easier to drive.

My only concern is that when I took it out last night and pushed it above 4000rpms for the first time I noticed a lot of feedback in the clutch and the catch point seemed lowered (I always go by where my foot is in relation to how easy it is to take the shifter out of the gate to judge the point of engagement), is this normal? When your pushing your 6mt hard do you find yourself having to engage the clutch closer to the floor (even if its just a little or if its a "feel" thing) to get the shifter out of the gear easily, and subsequently, into the next gear? Should I not worry about the feedback or should I be faster to engage the clutch? I feel like I'm slam'n it but I still get that feeling that I'm "riding it."

Thanks in advance for your help guys...

Last edited by JohnNJ; 09-08-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't say the 6mt G35 has a "terribly rough and poor transmission". I'm sure there are much better ones out there but this can't be one of the worst. Granted I only driven one (mine) and don't have a lot of experience with mt's, but mine feels smooth. My 1-2 shift could be considered notchy at times but my 2-3 is butter smooth. In general, all my shifting feels great. The only real exception is getting into 1st while not at a stop. I actually like that because it may save me from a bad mis-shift. I would say the vibrations through the shifter are a bit much but I don't mind.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Damn JawJaw, you posted 3 minutes after me and I was all excited that someone answered my question so fast I guess I'll go back to my corner and wait

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinion needed on 6MT '05 or '06 Sedan.. (Worry about MT reliability)