G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Opinion needed on 6MT '05 or '06 Sedan.. (Worry about MT reliability)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I had my first tranny issue today...

I was leaving the office for lunch, and trying to cross three lanes of a busy highway(one of the busiest in the state) to get to a restaraunt. I was at a complete stop in the turn lane, perpendicular to the highway I was crossing. I was bumping the throttle to keep the revs up. When I had a chance, I took off. When I crossed the first lane, the car bogged, and the revs shot up for a second. At this point my foot was completely off, and just above, the clutch. After a split second, the clutch popped into the bottom of my foot, and the car lurched forward into the restaraunt's parking lot.

At first I thought it was vdc, but as soon as I stopped, I smelled a horrendous burning smell. I immediately realized that I had fried the clutch. I parked, waiting on a coworker trailing in his car to pull up. He said he saw me bog, then a puff of smoke escaped from underneath the car, and then I took off.

Over lunch, I was flipping out. I've read about people burning up their clutches, and a few claiming that there was no abuse. Now, I have run my car at the drag strip a few times, and a few autox's, but this was just trying to cross a busy highway. When we got back to the car, it was still exhibiting the odor. I hesitantly drove the car back to work, but to my surprise, the clutch feel had not changed; no sponginess, no rubbery feeling. It was still just as springy and grabby as it usually was.

When I got back to work, I pulled up the forums and did a search for "clutch stuck". Apparently this issue has happened a few times to the coupe guys. Nobody has reported any long term effects. In fact, one guy(can't remember whom) stated that he took his car to the dealer, had the pressure plate/clutch assembly inspected, and everything was cool. I called the dealer, explained what happened, and of course the service guy said that he'd never heard of it. He said that he couldn't authorize an inspection -- putting it on the lift, disassembling the clutch for inspection would be as much work as replacing it in the first place. He said that they could drive it and try to reproduce the problem. I decided against that, the logic being that they are unlikely to reproduce it.

Anyway, the car's had the afternoon to cool down. On the way home, it drove like nothing had ever happened. I believe that if I keep the rpm's down, it will be an isolated incident. And before anybody asks, I've got about 8k miles on it.

Oh, and a note to GeeWillikers. I saw your response to a few of those threads in the coupe forums. I wasn't trying to burn out, or race. I was doing what I do daily. I will admit that I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to my rpms to allow them high enough to induce this in the first place. But still, the circumstances were completely normal.
Sometimes $hit happens. I think you can read from my posts over in the coupe forum that I didn't dispute that there could be an issue that would cause this under normal conditions. My point (attempted) was that when you're trying to determine the cause of a problem, or determine if there is a problem at all, you should start with normal conditions and go from there.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jawjaw
I wouldn't say the 6mt G35 has a "terribly rough and poor transmission". I'm sure there are much better ones out there but this can't be one of the worst. Granted I only driven one (mine) and don't have a lot of experience with mt's, but mine feels smooth. My 1-2 shift could be considered notchy at times but my 2-3 is butter smooth. In general, all my shifting feels great. The only real exception is getting into 1st while not at a stop. I actually like that because it may save me from a bad mis-shift. I would say the vibrations through the shifter are a bit much but I don't mind.
I don't think it's terrible, but for a sport/luxury car I think it's a bit unacceptable. The feel of the tranny wouldn't bother me if I owned a 350Z or a Mustang GT/Cobra, but in a G35, it doesn't feel right. The car is so smooth and then you have the clutch and tranny vibrating away at your hand and foot. Some feedback is good, but too much is annoying.

As for getting into 1st at a roll, double clutch.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cfjan
Hi All,

Thinking about getting a 6MT sedan. The only thing that worries me is all these manual tranny problem that people posted. Grinding, synchoro problem, etc.

I am not as worried about the clutch, as it is a replacable item. But is the tranny internal built up to the task for the VQ35??

Thanks for all the opinions.

Eric
Well you'll have about 70,000 miles before that's an issue that's going to cost you. For me I probably won't keep past 50K, I just keep getting cars every 2 1/2 -3 yrs

Old 09-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I tend to keep car for a long time.. my current Toyota has 130k+ miles already.. ha ha!

Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Well you'll have about 70,000 miles before that's an issue that's going to cost you. For me I probably won't keep past 50K, I just keep getting cars every 2 1/2 -3 yrs

Old 09-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I bought my 6MT in March of this year and have enjoyed every second of it. I've posted numerous times how much I like the '05 5AT model -- I think it's one of the best standard-design automatic transmissions anywhere at any price -- but it can't hold a candle to the manual transmission in this car.

Understand I may be lucky. But the clutch in my car exhibits none of the high-rpm pedal vibration or noise reported occasionally here. I have no throwout bearing rattle in neutral, and the clutch has grabbed progressively and well at every shift. The shifter is just brilliant. I don't know what these people are talking about when they complain about poor feel. I've owned a half a dozen manual transmission cars over the last 15 years and have driven at least two dozen more on occasion, and the '05 G35's shifter feel ranks in the top 10. There's only a little notchiness, which I prefer to the churning-butter feel of cable-actuated boxes that by design cannot transmit mechanical "noise" into the cabin, albeit at the expense of losing most of the shifter feel. The gates are well defined and the throws are quite short. And finally, the "vibrating shifter" effect that so many here complain about is quite mild in my car.

If you want a quick family sedan with a lifeless rubber-pole shifter that feels the same as the $50 plastic thing you bought for your PlayStation, buy an Altima 3.5. You'll love it.

Regarding the is-there-or-isn't-there-a-proportioning-valve-in-the-clutch-slave-circuit question, it might be best to leave the conjecture and guesswork at home until someone grabs an '05 ESM and does the research. I mean, based on the dog-butted sluggishness of the '04 5AT loaner I drove a year or two ago, I think there might only be two forward gears in that transmission -- slow and slightly less slow. But I'd be foolish to post that as J's Why of No Fly hypothesis, wouldn't I?

Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My coupe 6mt has 11,600 km on it and no issues with the tranny or clutch. I changed to synthetic trans fluid and felt an improvment in the bit of notchiness that was there before. After getting used to the shifter and clutch it works well and isn't difficult to drive smoothly or fast either. I don't believe all this hype over the manual being a terrible box is deserved. I've had many manuals before and this one ranks pretty good. Certainly not the best but certainly not a reason to not buy a maunal if that's what you would like.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:06 PM
I have just under 55K on my 2003.5 6MT sedan. No issues with the TX, the clutch or pretty much anything else. I would do it again in a second.

http://www.6mt.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11598

Ken

Old 09-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
Some people might want the 06 because no matter how low the mileage on the 05, it'll always be a year older in the used car market. That will make it depreciate faster, all other things being equal.

But not that much difference.
In two years if somebody who owns an 05 with 30K miles on it and
somebody who bought an 06 with 30K miles on it go to sell the cars (both with
identical options and condition) the 2006 car might fetch another grand.
But surely nowhere near the difference in price you'll pay in a month or so
when the 06's come out and there are still 2005's on the lot.

The only way it holds true that the next model year will be worth more is
if they made moderate to major changes.
Like say between the 2004 and 2005 sedans.
In the scenario above the 2005 car might fetch a couple grand more than
an 04.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Sorry didn't mean to contribute to the Off Topic.

As for "problems" with the MT, well, I've neither driven the 6MT or
even ridden in one.
But since it's debut in the late model 2002 Maxima's, it's been used in
the Maxima, 350Z, and G35's.
IF there were any major issues with it, I'd think Nissan would of made changes
by the 2005 model.
I've also seen supercharged and turbocharged 350Z's and G35's with it.
Never spoke to any of them whose had problems.
But like most manuals, it'll come down to your driving style.
Drive it like you stole it all the time, you're bound to have issues sooner than later.
Drive it like you don't know how to drive a stick (meaning slipping the clutch alot
and/or dumping the clutch a lot) your bound to have issues at some point.
Drive it normally, with some aggressive driving from time to time, and I can't see
how/why it would fail anytime soon.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by kfreefall
I have just under 55K on my 2003.5 6MT sedan. No issues with the TX, the clutch or pretty much anything else. I would do it again in a second.

http://www.6mt.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11598

Ken
Same here....45K on my 03.5 6mt sedan with no issues at all....but I did switch to synthetic tranny oil the firsy day I had the car.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JKWright
If you want a quick family sedan with a lifeless rubber-pole shifter that feels the same as the $50 plastic thing you bought for your PlayStation, buy an Altima 3.5. You'll love it.
hypothesis, wouldn't I?
My altima was notchy also, it is just Nissan transmissions, I like to think of it as indication that its going into gear. I've driven numerous Civics/Integras, several Mustang GTs and V6s, M3, and a c5 vette and they have all not been nearly as notchy as my Nissans over the years. I obviously bought a 6speed G35 so its not ruining the drive, just in comparison to other cars its not the greatest IMO.