G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

What would Infiniti have to do to beat the BMW 330i in a comparison?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree - the IS350 looks much more interesting than the played out BMW 3 series. I've driven BMW's a lot, and while I like them I will never understand the "joy of driving" subjective category they keep winning on. The IS, on the other hand, looks to be a demon-car for the price, even if the C&D numbers are off (which they probably are). And it's a Lexus.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Lip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Materials and Exterior:
Improve the quality of materials by 10%. Raise price accordingly, your back in business. Thicker paint please !!!
From a mechanical standpoint:
I believe the G is right up there with the best.
Design: I like the way the G looks. The next gen will probably look more pedestrian, that will help. Hopefully they make the back end look better than the M/Fuga which the design will be based off of.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Better fuel economy at no loss of performance. 330i owners are seeing real world numbers like 31 mpg on the highway crusing at 80 mph.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:54 PM
I was able to get 33.2 MPG on a 400 mile trip with my old 5 speed manual 02 330i BMW. I would have gotten about 537 miles on that tank of gas if I had continued on I-40 to Wilmington coming from Knoxville(That is kind of cheating because it is downhill the whole way though). BMWs do get excellent MPG! MY 330i even had the wide tires that come with the sport package. I think they were 255s on the back and 235s up front.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
What would Infiniti have to do to beat the BMW 330i in a comparison?

If the G35 had a 3.8 litre V6 and it had 320 HP/290 LB*FT with cylinder deactivation that would allow it to get 31 MPG on the Highway and 24 in the City would it beat the BMW? What if it had all of the above and they changed the interior to look as good as the Acura TL, would it win then? Now the big question is would you still buy the G35 if it had all of the above features but it cost $42K when properly equipped? Would you rather have the above specs or the extra $8K - $10K?
For weight and fuel concern I don't want Infiniti to enlarge the engine even more. 3.5L is the upper limit in my opinion. What they could do is probably improve on the interior, do better in fuel consumption, further lower the car noise, things like that. One thing very important, Infiniti needs to undercut BMW and Lexus.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:28 PM
A simple gear change will incease fuel economy. But reduce performance.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 PM

One thing really gets me about all of BMW so called technology breakthroughs. Why do you have to take the smart key out of your pocket and put it in the dash? That completely defeats all benefit of the smart key! You should never have to take it out of your pocket like in the G35 and IS350. I really don’t care if it has a red push button or not. The point is ease of use not aesthetics!
the oct+ releases will have a "real" smart key option so you don't have to take it out of your pocket. my grief with g35 is that why do you have to turn the **** to start the car? small details i guess...there are things i like about both cars. (gf just got a g35c). it's all about what's important to you...both are equally good to me..

Old 09-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by mach330i
the oct+ releases will have a "real" smart key option so you don't have to take it out of your pocket. my grief with g35 is that why do you have to turn the **** to start the car? small details i guess...there are things i like about both cars. (gf just got a g35c). it's all about what's important to you...both are equally good to me..
Are you saying that the BMW 330is made after October will not require you to put the Key in the little holder? That is news to me. Wow I guess BMW saw how stupid that design really is. What is wrong with having to turn the starter switch? You have to still be able to set the car to different stages of the ignition. For example I want to turn on the A/C but I don’t want to turn on the car. The traditional starter switch is great for that. Plus I can still use the Key if something goes wrong. How does BMW and Lexus handle starting the A/C but not starting the car? Do you have to put the key into the ignition to do that?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that if the G35 had a propeller logo then it would be considered the greatest car ever by ALL car magazines.
One thing really gets me about all of BMW so called technology breakthroughs. Why do you have to take the smart key out of your pocket and put it in the dash? That completely defeats all benefit of the smart key! You should never have to take it out of your pocket like in the G35 and IS350. I really don’t care if it has a red push button or not. The point is ease of use not aesthetics!
Please, don't be giving anyone ideas like this, LOL! Do you really have to take the key out of your pocket in a BMW? Yes, that would totally defeat the purpose.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Are you saying that the BMW 330is made after October will not require you to put the Key in the little holder? That is news to me. Wow I guess BMW saw how stupid that design really is. What is wrong with having to turn the starter switch? You have to still be able to set the car to different stages of the ignition. For example I want to turn on the A/C but I don’t want to turn on the car. The traditional starter switch is great for that. Plus I can still use the Key if something goes wrong. How does BMW and Lexus handle starting the A/C but not starting the car? Do you have to put the key into the ignition to do that?
yep...to turn on the a/c or radio, you just tap the starter button instead of pushing it and holding its. it's a pretty cool feature...

Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen how ugly the new 3 series is? The G is the clear winner.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Infiniti has to do is buy a lot more ads in the magazine and its a done deal

Old 09-13-2005, 01:47 AM
Yeah both cars are really good cars for what they are. I dont think I would ever buy a BMW though. Imo, I think they are over priced for what u get. I would get a Lex or Infiniti anyday over the Bavarian. Oh thats right I have. Had a ES300 back in the day, 04 IS300 and now my 05 G. I'll be ready to unload that next spring for the new IS though.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Down size the body to about 180 in. or so but make it wider and lower (sedans). Use better materials in/out and put 6AT with real sequential so it would give getter acceleration.

But seriously, if BMW brings a new 3.5L engine, our VQ will look like sh*t. We are on the par thanks to their smaller displacement. 100ps/Liter is preferable.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregoriovv
Yeah both cars are really good cars for what they are. I dont think I would ever buy a BMW though. Imo, I think they are over priced for what u get. I would get a Lex or Infiniti anyday over the Bavarian. Oh thats right I have. Had a ES300 back in the day, 04 IS300 and now my 05 G. I'll be ready to unload that next spring for the new IS though.
Gee, you come on a G35 forum and say you'll be ready to unload it for the IS? Hmmmmmmmm, troll here?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What would Infiniti have to do to beat the BMW 330i in a comparison?