Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
“New G38 is so damn good BMW couldn’t pay us enough to place them first!”
LOL!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:39 PM
There must some mistake with the IS350 numbers cause it's not even a stick. 6 speed automatic and 0-60 in 5.1. A stick version time will be under 5. Maybe the tested version does not an air filter or nor a cat.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C&D calculate their numbers beased heavily on atmospheric conditions, so the car probably did not actually do 0-60 in 5.1s. Either way, their numbers for all the cars seem strangely off, but this has been hashed and re-hashed already. I'll wait for some numbers from production IS350's before I get too excited. I do have to admit I am psyched to drive one tomorrow, though.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picus please post up your thoughts and impressions on it...and see if you can get some real numbers clocked in for the 0-60 and 0-100 times.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 PM
G35 is still the best in its class

I have driven on the autobahn, had several BMW's, Audis, Benz and several other sport sedans and I would not change my G35 for anything else. I just left the dealer paying $31,000 and if anyone of these other sport sedans try to take G35 on the road they will be surprised how the G35 leaves them in the dust. The G35 is lighter and responds better than these other cars.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
C&D calculate their numbers beased heavily on atmospheric conditions, so the car probably did not actually do 0-60 in 5.1s. Either way, their numbers for all the cars seem strangely off, but this has been hashed and re-hashed already. I'll wait for some numbers from production IS350's before I get too excited. I do have to admit I am psyched to drive one tomorrow, though.
Several people have asserted that C&D performs atmo correction. That may be the case, but I've never read it first hand(as in C&D itself). I highly doubt they do atmo corrections anyway, because the figures they got for the 05 6MT(my car), was right in line with what I've done myself, in similar atmo conditions.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Several people have asserted that C&D performs atmo correction. That may be the case, but I've never read it first hand(as in C&D itself). I highly doubt they do atmo corrections anyway, because the figures they got for the 05 6MT(my car), was right in line with what I've done myself, in similar atmo conditions.
Hm, I stand corrected. I thought they posted themselves that they corrected for atmospheric conditions. If that's the case doesn't that mean the IS350 would be corrected down to something like 4.8s?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:29 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by picus112
Hm, I stand corrected. I thought they posted themselves that they corrected for atmospheric conditions. If that's the case doesn't that mean the IS350 would be corrected down to something like 4.8s?
I would think even more people would be calling foul in that case.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Staff Alumni
Please note that I didn't explicitely state that C&D did NOT correct. I just don't *think* they do.

That's correct. The IS, atmo corrected, would be in the neighborhood of the circa 2000 camaro SS in the quarter. While at first I thought the numbers were incorrect, or that the IS was possibly a ringer, I'm starting to think that it may indeed be quite quick(though possibly not as quick as they recorded). While the auto's gears are all taller than the g's, it's not by a large margin. Also, that auto is going to shift faster, presumably, than most manual drivers, myself included. Lastly, the final drive ratio is in the 4.1 range, whereas on the 05 6MT it's in the 3.5 range. The EVO 3.9's seem to be a popular mod here, which all people claim to positively affect performance. And lastly, the compression ratio, IIRC, is in the neighborhood of 12 to 1.

If the output of both engines were the same, then the final drive would make quite a difference. Considering the IS is making more power AND torque, even under the new SAE standards, then the differences could be quite significant.

One thing I noticed about the fear ratios on the lex was the fact that both gears 5 AND 6 are overdrive gears; ratios below 1 to 1. That's gotta help the gas mileage a bit.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Staff ALUMNI
That is interesting. I think when we're allowed to drive them tomorrow they will have a 1/4 mile track, but I don't know if they'll be timing the runs so it might be impossible for me to test it with an accurate time. Presonally (and I may regret saying this after tomorrow), I will still wait to see the results from some other mags after the car is available for purchase. It just seems like the times are too good to be true, even with the new SAE standards and (almost hyper) aggressive gearing. I guess we'll see.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
C&D will correct themselves, just wait. The 50-70 numbers and 30-50 numbers were in the 2's while the G's are 9's . What goes from 50-70 that fast except for a Huyabusa?

Old 09-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Staff Alumni
I thought that highly unlikely as well. At first. Though after thinking about it, it starts to make sense. It's an auto with manual mode, so I just assumed that they shifted into 6th and went from there. However, I remember on the wife's 04 that you can NOT shift into 5th below a certain rpm. So I assume, that at 30, they were in possibly 4th, not 6th. Though, if that's the case, that speed is still quite impressive.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i cant believe they said the TL has the best back seat, i have an 03 w/ reclinining rear seats theres no ****en way the TL has more room my friend has an 04 it sucks sitting in the back

Old 09-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Hey folks I just got back from the Lexus event. I didn't see anyone else from the board there - kind of surprised I didn't but oh well. They are doing a local "unveiling" tonight at a club downtown with free music/drinks/food if anyone wants to show up I will probably go. It's at the Brassaii Bistro Lounge which is @ like 450 king west and I *think* it's open to the public but I'm not 100% sure.

They had 8 vehicles, two IS250's, two IS350's and two RX300h's (hybrid SUV), an SC430, and a BMW 330i. The staff was really cool and the lines to drive the cars were almost non-existant. I wasn't allowed to take pictures though, which is a bummer. I brought my 300D but was told to leave it in the car.

Anyway I didn't drive the RX300h because I'm not really interested in SUV's, but I got to drive the two IS's and the 330i. The IS250 was first and it was probably the most fun I had all afternoon. It doesn't have the power I'm accustomed too but it handled well (it was awd) and was very peppy, plus it was a manual. Felt a lot like the manual TSX but a little bigger and a little more power. Fit and finish was very nice, but overall I think for the price I would probably get a TSX (which is somethnglike 5k cheaper). It did have a little of that airy Lexus quality to it, which I don't really like so much, but meh.

The BMW 330i was next. I have driven one of these before and this was one the same. There was too much electronic assist and iDrive has always annoyed the crap out of me. The power seemed lacking compared to my G but it did handle pretty well. I hate BMW seats, too, but I wasn't there to drive bimmers so on to the 350.

The 350 has the nicest interior for sure. Fit and finish was way better than my G35, not that it's bad, but this thing was really screwed together. The exterior looks better (less like a tC) in person, too. And it was fast. I had no way to time anything even though they had a slalom course and a 1/4 mile, but it is definitely faster than my G and the 330i. I've driven 5 second cars before and this one isn't a 5 second to 60 car, but it's probably 5.5 easy. I think when more mags get ahold of them we will see a lot of 5.4-5.6's. Just my guess. There is so much torque you can really feel it when you give the car gas. The shifting is so fast and so smooth, I think I understand how it was able to get such good times on the 30-50 and 70-100 tests now, because it downshifts almost immediately when you give it more gas, and the downshifts are really quick. My main complaint was the handling. It was, as C&D described, too twitchy, there is understeer - it felt way too assisted and the road feedback was almost non existent. The car almost feels like it's floating, which is nice for some people but not for me. There is way too much body roll in corners, too (even more than our G35's, which have a lot).

I didn't pay much attention to back seats because I didn't really care.

Overall of the three my favorite was the IS250 just because it was the most fun to drive. The 350 is nice, and it has a lot of power and torque but the handling isn't nearly as good (imo) as my G35 sedan, which has less electronic assistance, way more road feedback, less body roll, less understeer, etc... I think what the IS350 will be really good for is getting Infiniti to (hopefully) realase a kickbutt new G35/38 whatever they will call it, soon.

Maybe I will see some of you tonight at the Bistro thing, free drinks! PM me if you are going to go.

(Oh I think they are doing another event tomorrow in Ottawa for anyone there who is interested)

Last edited by Picus; 09-21-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by t0pher
Funny how C&D always puts BMW at the top
Uhh, The G35 won 1st place in C&D March 2004.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver - $35,000 Sport Sedans