G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

This "aint" no Altima

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: This "aint" no Altima

Linh,

Have you timed any runs? It would be shocking if the Altima actually ran faster (and of course, we, G-drivers, won't like hearing that too much) [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Maybe the manner in which the power is delivered is fooling your butt-dyno??? Who knows, but I'd really like to see some actual times.....

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
2003.5 G35s

Old 07-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the questions above, this is 9 or 10/10th's driving I am talking about, you know, wheels skidding after a shift, white smoke during braking (altima w/o ABS)

my car was lowered on Eibach Sportlines with 235/50ZR17 pilot sport a/s tires. no RSB, No stb's, that's it....199.00 now I have this 45 mph entrance ramp to I40 near where I live and a couple of 45 mph turns in the Salt River Canyon near Globe, AZ.

both of these turns have the altima (admittedly lowered and on excellent rubber) at least 20 mph faster thru those turns without breaking traction on full acceleration turns. the Salt river curve I have taken several times in both cars bother directions

also my experiences include coming down I17 (6.5% grades upa and down curves with yellow signs that say 60 mph) from Flagstaff to Phoenix at sickeningly high speeds (go to jail fast) again the altima held the line of the curves better with near neutral balance (part of my stragety was a heavy speaker box and system in trunk to offset the weight distribution ~80 lbs for everything)

again I say for the 900.00 in mods I had to the altima it was much faster and handled much better than my 6MT sedan does stock. If anyone wants to compare driving skills I leave arizona for florida tonight on a road trip. I am not a competition level driver but I am above average. My cell is 928 587 1431 and I will call you back if you leave a voice mail referencing G35 driver. I can choose just about any route in the southern United States south of I 40

Better Life thru Chemistry

Old 07-11-2003, 03:39 PM

the reason i bought the G??? yeah i know you guys have your questions here.

inside it is much better. I was looking to upgrade the tranny in my altima because it wouldn't handle 300 crank hp. the cost to do this made the G35 financially sound choice.

You know all those guys we criticize for putting money into their cars instead of buying a better one? I probably would have been one of those with the altima. However, as a driver of many different varieties of cars over the years, I know that with a RWD car you have so much more potential in all aspects.

Infiniti purposely adjusted the handling characteristics of this car to give it moderate/mild understeer to not scare too many people off. neutral is the best, however at normal speeds some understeer is what 90% of people learned with. that is why 50.00 of every paycheck is getting earmarked for JIC's and upgraded brakes, LSD and tires. these are the three main complaints I have on this car. For all of y'all who say the suspension is different, go look at the two. there is a control arm on the fron suspension that isn't on the altima. That is the only difference I can see other than the obvious axle locations. I assume that control arm is what makes up for the lack of weight in the front of the car.

I am glad I pissed off some people now go drive this G with some of that anger and learn how to recover from screw ups like I make all the time cause I push it too hard.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Linh,

Have you timed any runs? It would be shocking if the Altima actually ran faster (and of course, we, G-drivers, won't like hearing that too much) .

Maybe the manner in which the power is delivered is fooling your butt-dyno??? Who knows, but I'd really like to see some actual times.....

<hr></blockquote>I fully intend on doing this right after my first oil change on the coupe . I'm barely pass break-in and still babying the coupe, never even chirped 2nd yet . I haven't compared torque/hp dyno curves yet, but the alty feels much stronger from 2500 onwards, the coupe doesn't seem to develop real power until upwards of 4000rpms.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:44 PM

Yo 3.5 - no foul intended with prev message. Sounds a little more than inteded when read again...my bad. Thanks for serving.

The best car i ever drove for handling was the celica all trac turbo in 1988 when i sold toyotas in Alparetta GA. Since then i have been a nut about handling and how to turn. While i can understand you well spoken point and, I just get a little emotional after driving RWD sideways at 70 (doesn't happen too often) --- peace man

Old 07-11-2003, 06:01 PM

I think I know my limits when it comes to what i speak, sixfive, and i will back off when I get there but after driving like I do, you get to know the limits quite well.

anyways as far as handling is concerned the G is more refined stock

but I do have to bow down to the celica even recent ones

my background is in musclecars during high school (barracuda, nova, chevelle in particular) then i shifted to imports (Sentra SE, 92 SE-R, altima (94), then a cougar of all things (88 with a 5.0 HO engine), then back to nissan (couple more sentras, the altima and now this car

from my background the SE-R was probably the best handling of all those cars including the alt and the G and the SE-R was brand new as well

oh well, my number is a couple threads up, some guy text messaged me in espanol (yo no hablo mucho espanol, pero solamente "slow" (como se dice "slow" en espanol?) hablando.) I can't reach you cause you didn't leave a name or extension.

I am serious about hooking up, i travel to FL tonight, arrive Sunday morning and turn around to head back Monday with me back in AZ on Weds/Thursday.

Old 07-12-2003, 01:41 PM

in which way the gauge cluster is identical???
the whole chassis is different on the altima and the G35/350Z

the suspension is the same is becuz the altima took the suspension design off the R34 Skyline. having the same suspension doesnt mean the car will drive just like a Skyline.

the whole G35 chassis is much more well balanced then the alitma.

and RWD cars doesnt have much drivetrain power lost.

so what if the G is entry level in infiniti? it's already a higher model then ANY of the nissans.

Old 07-12-2003, 06:15 PM

Dude my mom had (and she was 38 at time) a 1998 cougar 20th anniversary package. Great car but Ford replaced 5.0 motor for reasons i don't remember. Nice ride...i talked her into it instead of the coveted Lebaron 2.2 turbo...jesus those sucked. If cougar had another 80 HP it would have been fun now.

As far as Altima the mods must have worked wonders and FWD is just as capable in some turn types. It's actually #2 choice of mine when i bought passat on 9/10/01. Love the 3.5 anyway I can get it.

Old 07-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

3point5SE_Auto (registered)
07/11/03 06:21 AM

i am not here to say the altima is a better car than the G but it's performance aspects deserve a whole lot of respect from y'all. I am not "thinking", I know a lowered altima will handle better than the G SEDAN, not coupe.

__________________________________________________ _

Huh? Coupe has the same suspension as the sport suspension on the sedan. It's only benefit in handling would be 18's if equipped and if you give the coupe a chance to exploit it's LSD, again if equipped. Sway bars are the same to, 33mm front 20mm rear (same size that the Z has to btw).

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
clear corners

Old 07-13-2003, 03:41 PM

I don't even think 18's are a benefit in and of themselves, except for the fact that they come with Michelin Pilot Sport tires instead of one of the Goodyear offerings (and the Bridgestones that some sedans come with are not a performance tire). The coupe has the same hardware, but aren't the shocks set up a bit stiffer?

About that 5.0 in that Cougar.. that's a fairly common engine, and I believe that extra 80hp you want could be pulled out of it for very little money.

Okay, so a modified Altima can beat a stock G35. Whoopee. A modified Yugo can beat a stock Viper in handling if you have enough money. This type of argument is only fair in a stock v. stock form, or similar amounts of money spent on mods. The platform that the G35 is built on has inherent advantages over tha Altima that aftermarket parts can't overcome (FWD/weight distribution) in terms of handling, though the straight-line runs would be comparable.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 07-14-2003, 08:37 PM

Remember the G is the ENTRY level infiniti luxury sedan. Don't get so high and mighty.

<hr></blockquote>Thank God somebody said it. Some of you guys kill me, you act like you're driving a $285,000.00 Lamborghini. The Altima is a great car, and whether or not you want to admit it, the G35 and the Altima drive, look, and feel a lot alike. Sure there are some big differences, (interior, RWD) but to most people, those are tiny variations. The biggest reason the G35 cost's more than an Altima is because it says Infiniti on the back, not Nissan. A 330i costs more than an G35 because it's a BMW. Part of the reason a Bentley costs so much is because it's a Bentley. People who can afford it don't mind paying for the name, and neither should you....

Ivory Pearl/Premium/Xenon/

Old 07-15-2003, 03:37 AM

Whatever... stupid is as stupid does.

Old 07-15-2003, 03:51 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

(interior, RWD) but to most people, those are tiny variations.

<hr></blockquote>

Um, okay. RWD v. FWD is somewhat more than a tiny variation... Anyone who thinks it's a "tiny variation" automatically is tuned out when they begin to get on a soap box.
G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
Indianapolis, IN

Old 07-15-2003, 03:19 PM

Both the Altima and the G35 Sedan are good ars in their own right, and to each his own. Some are naturally going to prefer the G over the Alti and vis versa. Its a matter of personal taste!

Old 07-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chacun son tour.

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
Indianapolis, IN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This "aint" no Altima