G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

RWD (G35) vs AWD (potential new Acura TL)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWD (G35) vs AWD (potential new Acura TL)

I heard that Acura will come up with a bigger engine, 6 speed manual (option), 280hp, AWD TL model.

Keeping objective (I know it's hard, but at least let's try !), do you think that the new TL (if it comes up with what they say) will edge our G35 in terms of performance ?

My question relates to: acceleration, torque, power, slalom speed, hugging the road, etc. Is AWD better than RWD when it comes to performance ? I know the obvious advantage of AWD (even FWD) over RWD when it comes to snow, but what about .... pure performance ? How about if it heads against the G35 coupe ?

Don't forget, try to keep objective ! From what I see we all love our G, but could Acura produce a better car for 2004 ?

Old 07-13-2003, 02:12 AM
Re: RWD (G35) vs AWD (potential new Acura TL)

If you haven't noticed as in all Hondas, they don't have any torque. No pull. The new TL may have 280 AWD but it'll be a slug 'til the 3500rpm range as in most Hondas. The thing I love the most about our cars is the range in the power band. Hondas haven't proven this.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:00 AM

AWD is great andmuch better than FWD but AWD is arguably less desirable than RWD as RWD allows for "enhanced" turning with throttle induced drift. AWD WRX and the like stick to the road like glue though and in many situations are superior track warriors. Quattro won a bunch of races - how does audi do now i wonder?

Old 07-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD is better at non-optimal surface conditions (dirt, snow, rain, etc.). RWD is better when the track is smooth, as it weighs less and has the near 50/50 weight distribution. AWD is definately preferable to FWD.

The torque curve, gearing, and weight of the car are the big factors in acceleration. We won't know if Honda's 280hp will deliver until we see it.

I'm surprised that Acura is going to put a manual in their 4-door, they seem to be pretty dead-set on manuals only in the coupes.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 07-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda/Acura has yet to provide an engine with a broad powerband, not to mention low end torque, and in all my reading it seems that low-end is required to move the added weight of AWD off the line (effectively).

I like Acuras a great deal, lots of standard features and great comfort, I can even live with the bland styling. But after owning a G, the Honda engines just don't do it for me in terms of power delivery.

But who knows... Acura may surprise us, after all, isn't that what Infiniti did, go from a boring line up to one that's heart-racing?

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
2003.5 G35s

Old 07-14-2003, 04:40 PM

Not all AWD packages are created equal. Nissan certainly has designed top systems before; look at the Skyline GTR. This is a performance based AWD system, and it sends most power to the rear wheels, and some to the front when slippage occurs. The latest versions even alowed the driver to adjust the torque proportioning on the fly. Very cool. A Porsche Turbo AWD system has similar rear bias. Contrast this to the crap system they put in Volvo type "R"s for example. These are FWD biased, and can send some power to the rears when the fronts start slipping. Major torque steer with these near 300hp cars. Not nearly as pleasant to drive in my book. This is AWD to help you get tour car up snow covered hills. It is useless for performance driving on dry roads. BTW, Audi's excellent system seems to be a cross between the two, with very equal F/R torque feel, and minimal torque steer, even with the S models. Chances are, the Acura system will be in the Volvo camp; and you can keep it.

04 G35 6MTS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem/Wint (Hopefully Sept 03)
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!