G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Loose part or knocking in sedan front right suspension area.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose part or knocking in sedan front right suspension area.

Help me out anybody! I've switched to an 05 Z susp and I've now got this "loose-like" sound coming from the right front only when I go over speed bumps, inclined driveways/entrances, potholes, rough uneven roads. So over smooth surfaces it doesn't make a sound and feels FINE and like it works. However, on the above mentioned surfaces it sounds like something is loose and rattles for 1/2 a second. It feels as if something wasn't tightened correctly after the install. Every other corner is fine. The shock/strut doesn't feel to be shot though. Could it possibly be an untightened top mount on the shock/strut? The nut at the center and top of the strut where it is in fact difficult to tighten. I've seen the pic that Gsedan35 put up where he place it horizontally against the floor and used a monkey wrench and an open wrench to tighten. Could it be cuz that point it loose? Help me out guys!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it might to 2 things. I have read where that top nut is loose and it causes vibrations or noises. The second, where it happened to me, is where the shock was blown. There was no evidence of leaking fluid and when we put the strut and pushed down on it to check compression, it didn't rebound like a blown shock. THe vibration was felt all the way to the pedals. it was still hard to push and the rebound was very slow. but tokico warrantied the shock and when replaced, good as OEM. hope this helps..

Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned
i have a little creek noise also but stock suspension it started happening recently, only when the car is cold, after driving for at least 30mins the noise doesnt happen

Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also heard a creek noise in the front suspension when the weather dropped. It does go away once you start driving it. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 PM
PDT
I was getting the same creeking sound when I would go over a bump. I thought it was like this TSB:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB02-060.htm

But they replaced my front lower control arms and now it's gone.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:38 PM
as far as the knocking... i had a knock a few months ago, turned out to be the end link that sway bar attaches to. not where the sway bar itself is connected, but right in front of the endlink. my wife helped me find this accidentally (i was under my car when she bumped it, was scared out of my mind, but i found the loose bolt!!!)
i also had a creaking noise, lubed up the sway bar bushings, and all is well.
i wasn't familiar with the tsb at the time.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
i had the same problem because the top nut on my strut would not tighten all the way, impact or hand it just would not turn correctly, mine was crossthreaded, but no big deal, it was only a 1/16 th of an inch from all the way tight too and it made lots and lots of noise....

good luck

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
check the sway bar links.
Make sure you use a spanner to hold the ball end (behind the rubber boot)
while torquing the nut.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
I have this noise, too...2005 stock sport suspension. I take it to the dealer for them to look at it, and I went for a drive with the SA. What luck...I couldn't reproduce the stupid noise even going over speed bumps, so I went away without them even looking at it, and I still have this noise in the mornings leaving my driveway.

Over the weekend, I took off the underbody cover to check for loose bolts around the sway bar, etc, but didn't find any. I could reproduce the little metallic sound by pulling on the sway bar back and forth, but couldn't find the culprit (yes, my car was stable when I was pulling on the sway bar).

Can someone post pics of the end link bolts and sway bar bolts that you guys found loose?

Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
regarding clicking noise - i will get pics tomorrow morning when the sun comes out. but that is exactly how i found my problem.

also, about the creaking, it warms up from driving and usually goes away after a while. don't worry, if you wait long enough it will stop going away, and then you'll be able to point it out.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Had similar situation -- sway bar end link bolts were loose after day at track.
Only made knocking noise when going over bumps.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I still haven't been able to pinpoint my suspension noise. It's driving me crazy. Doesn't seem to be swar bar endlinks, I tightened them again. Nor any bracing in the lower control arm area, or brake components, or top mount(in engine bay) of strut. What else? I really need help.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Alright, I'm all fixed. It's wonderful to be quiet. I took my car to the dealership and they found out what was wrong. COMPRESSION ROD! Front right bushing was bad and allowed too much play. Replaced the whole rod and parts I believe. The front left was lubed. The car feels tighter now. It actually felt sloppy and now it actually feels young again. Hah.

Interesting thing to note is that now my tires, Avon 550 a/s, don't feel out of balance as it did before the dealership work. Around town was fine but hit the highway and it was steering wheel shake heaven. I really thought that Avon I received from tirerack were really bad....but apparently its not that case.

Does anyone know if compression rod "travel/play" can cause that steering wheel shake and uncontrolled feeling on the highway?

It kind of all makes sense now. Before when I had the bad compression rod I'd drive in the cold season or spring/summer and the steering would shake etc. So I had it balanced twice at Discount tire on the Hunter Road force balancer (1 balance session was free cuz I came back within a week) and the guys said everything was fairly good. But even after the balancings I had the steering wheel shake. I even had a 4wheel alignment at the dealership. This means, that the tires were ok and that the compression rod was the culprit. I thought it could've been the Avon's because I read reviews stating some customers had out of round or out of balance tires from the get go. Well I'm pretty happy now...the car feels tight and doesn't rattle.