G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

suspension creeks at low speeds...source?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension creeks at low speeds...source?

Anyone else have problem with suspension/ drivetrain "creeks" when cornering or going over bumps at slow speeds (i.e. driveway, parking lot)?
I have service scheduled for tomorrow (to attempt to rid annoying window ticking rattle- which I am convinced is part of window regulator unit), and would like to also have this addressed...if there is a known fix.
Thanks, in advance.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
How long has it been on the road?
It could be the sways...
Bushings need to be greased.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
It could be the sways...
It is a 2004 X with 24,000 miles... would that make sense?

Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I had the TSB (radiator bracket I believe) done to mine and it still creaks. Only in cold weather though. I have a creak and pop at the base of my windshield also. Also covered under another TSB. Dealer couldn't duplicate so they did nothing. Hopefully new swaybars and bushings will help the front end creak. I am going to buy a roll of felt tape and take care of the rest myself. Only eight more months of warranty anyway. 2003 with 28,000 miles. Build date of June 2002 though.

Mark

Old 10-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine creeks to, also in cold weather, and the base of the windshield squeeks all the time when im driving

Old 10-27-2005, 05:27 PM
PDT
I had the same thing. The dealership replaced the compression rods and no more creeks!

Last edited by PDT; 11-05-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Same symptom on mine - 2004 g35x. Only happens in the first 2 miles or so before the car warms up. Rattle also on the front-passenger side near windshield and one on rear driver side window. Hmmm....

Old 10-27-2005, 06:33 PM
I've got the exact same thing on my 03.

Perhaps I'll take it in to the dealer to see if they will do anything.....although the usual dealer response on "creaking" noises is "can't duplicate problem".

Old 10-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by prog35
I've got the exact same thing on my 03.

Perhaps I'll take it in to the dealer to see if they will do anything.....although the usual dealer response on "creaking" noises is "can't duplicate problem".
Believe it or not...sometimes they're probably not lying about not being able to reproduce it. I also have this creak when leaving my driveway every morning. I can reproduce it going straight or with the wheel straight. But, like someone said, it's more noticeable when the car hasn't been driven much. So, I took it to the dealer for them to look at it, but....I drove with the SA to reproduce the noise. I went over a speed bump straight. I went over a speed bump with the wheel as if I was turning. Over and over. But, believe it or not....I couldn't reproduce the damn creak! So, I left with nothing being done to my car. I'm waiting for it to cool down more since it's easier to reproduce when it's colder. I got a piece of 2X4 that I'll take with me to drive the car over and show the SA.

I'm also thinking that the bushings may need regreasing. I read on the Hotchkis sway bar install instructions not to use lithium-based grease to lube them. What type of grease should be used?

Old 10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the window seals could be the culprit. keep them lubed. door seals as well. the ticking/creaking sound is sometimes caused by this. i have a problem w/ my rear passneger window where the tint kind of "sticks" to the seals. just needs to be kept lubed.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Following up on this post, I left the car with the dealer yesterday. Apparently the "creek" (which clearly comes from both the front and rear suspension) was diagnosed as to the hood being misaligned...which they realigned?? Also, I was told, that the tech spent 4+ hours on my irritating driver door rattle, and finally added some foam to the door panel (I told them, and put in writing, that the noise is originating within the window channel..probably the window regulator....I've already spent my own 4+ hours weatherstripping the door panel which did nothing).
Well I picked the car up after service hours, and was almost afraid to drive it...as expected, both noises as bad as ever.
Insult to injury, I had asked to have them peak to see if brakes were now worn enough for replacing (24k miles). They indicated them to be 80% worn and will do them at the next oil change... then charged $45 for looking at them!

Old 10-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
It could be the sways...
+1

Mine has creaked every since I installed Stillen sways - but only when it's bone cold. After less than 5 minutes it goes away... plan to re-grease when I change settings and/or install urethane bushings.

Never had the problem with OEM sways though (13K miles)

Old 10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
+1

Mine has creaked every since I installed Stillen sways - but only when it's bone cold. After less than 5 minutes it goes away... plan to re-grease when I change settings and/or install urethane bushings.

Never had the problem with OEM sways though (13K miles)
What do you use to regrease the bushings?

Old 10-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by lelg35
What do you use to regrease the bushings?
Honestly, don't know... Some white **** DaveO has. And I don't mean that in a derogatory way - he has been a tremendous help in getting my car where it is.

Aftermarket sways are obviously stiffer, thus bushing and lube will be a factor (aahhem Dave... j/k)

If I were to do it again, I'd get polyurethane bushings and research user-tried lube.

Funny thing is I spent $800 on an old 280Z suspension including all urethane bushings and didn’t hear a peep.

I'm not sure if it's stiffer bars w/ rubber bushings causing the G problem or lack of lube. But the way I see it - lube wears, so if I have problems immediately after install I need to look at a resolution.

I'm inclined to think urethane bushings with synthetic (nano-tech) lube will be my next step.

It may not work - and quite honestly the sways didn’t offer much anyway (OH NO- HERE WE GO!) I was trying to staying away from that statement, but it's the truth.

I wouldn’t think twice about going back to OEM.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 PM
My car did the same thing they a replacing the comresion rods, I will see what happens. Thease are actually conected to the lower control arms.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: suspension creeks at low speeds...source?