G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Should I use a jack stand to change a tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have never used a jackstand ( i know its not very smart) i do put a tire under the car just in case,but really what are the chances of the car falling? besides it only takes a minute to chage a tire.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:48 AM
It works on my machine
What type of jack stands are used. I've read about the different stands out there and it seems like some might screw up the body if you put it under the jack points.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
It's pretty easy to kick yourself in the head with a prosthetic limb, just take it off and swing!
I believe every responder has agreed that YOU NEVER GET BENEATH A JACKED VEHICLE.

Where would you lift the car with a hydraulic jack? I used to always lift a car with a floor jack under the suspension, is this still a good idea?
Back in the good old days of body on frame, you could put a jack almost anywhere. You would not want to jack any of the suspension components on a G. There is essentially no place to put a jack stand.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Where would you lift the car with a hydraulic jack? I used to always lift a car with a floor jack under the suspension, is this still a good idea?
Under the rear differential, lifts back end.
For the front there is a lift point near the center, between the front wheels.

I lift the front first since it's the tightest clearance for the floor jack.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 09-17-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

How about if you just wanted to lift, say, the right front wheel?

Old 11-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

By dangy! I found your diagram hidden on page GI 41 of the service manual. My question to you is, why remove the engine under cover, shimmy your way under the front center of the vehicle to properly place your floor jack (dang near impossible) and jack up the entire front end....just to change a tire?

Inquiring minds want to know

Old 11-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Use a "safety stand point." I lift up the car using the stock scissor jacks 3-4" from the notched "safety stand point" and put the jack stand on the point. The jack stands I have from Sears have a lifting range of 10.5" to 17.5" so I don't have to lift the car very high.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Why are you asking if you should use a jack stand or not? If you want to use one then use them, if not then don't. There is no law saying you have to use them or not.
When I rotate or change tires, I don't put my legs under my car, you wouldn't want to kick that jack by accident. Never put your bodyparts under a car unless you need too.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=smedly]Why are you asking if you should use a jack stand or not? If you want to use one then use them, if not then don't. There is no law saying you have to use them or not.

Because I was getting conflicting opinions regarding safety that is why I asked. Are all your reponses as insightful as this?

Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by eldy
Use a "safety stand point." I lift up the car using the stock scissor jacks 3-4" from the notched "safety stand point" and put the jack stand on the point. The jack stands I have from Sears have a lifting range of 10.5" to 17.5" so I don't have to lift the car very high.
Even 10.5" at one of the lifting points is pretty high. You need the tire "just off the ground" to change it. Not inches off the ground. Considering what a pain it is to use (read "re stow") the stock jack, I would suggest you go back to sears and invest in a floor jack. If you have room in your garage, you'll be glad you bought it.

Another advantage to using a floor jack is; if the car shifts at the lifting point under load, the floor jack shifts with it because it is on wheels. A jackstand can not shift under load, just fall over.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:38 AM
On the lowest setting on the jack stands (which I am assuming is 10.5") the tire is only about 1" off the ground. I think it makes it easier to slide the tire on and off with that little bit of extra clearance.

You are right about the jack though... I want to get an aluminum one that is not made in China. The all aluminum Craftsman branded was on sale at Sears last week but I looked on the box and it was made in China. Just like the one from Harbor Freight. I live with using the stock jack because I don't have to lift the car very often at all... just when doing oil changes and I'll inspect the exhaust and undercarriage for any scrapes, rust, damage, dead cats, etc. then.

Last edited by eldy; 11-02-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually use the jackstands to hold the car up. I lower the jack just a little bit to take some weight off of it. I just don't like the idea of the jack being under all that pressure for longer than a couple of minutes. Especially if I'm under it. Paranoid, I know.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by eldy
... just when doing oil changes and I'll inspect the exhaust and undercarriage for any scrapes, rust, damage, dead cats, etc. then.
Oil changes...Dude, run... don't walk and go buy a pair of Rhino Ramps and a set of wheel chocks. You don't need to jack your car for oil changes. While you're at it, buy one of these It's made in Japan, not China. The Ramps I believe are made in the good old US of A.

(PS. I hate cheep chinese tools too)

Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM
It works on my machine
Originally Posted by PotomacG
Even 10.5" at one of the lifting points is pretty high. You need the tire "just off the ground" to change it. Not inches off the ground. Considering what a pain it is to use (read "re stow") the stock jack, I would suggest you go back to sears and invest in a floor jack. If you have room in your garage, you'll be glad you bought it.

Another advantage to using a floor jack is; if the car shifts at the lifting point under load, the floor jack shifts with it because it is on wheels. A jackstand can not shift under load, just fall over.
How about these jack stands?

Attached Thumbnails Should I use a jack stand to change a tire?-picture1.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The jack in the trunk is for emergencies. I've used mine a few times, and it's starting to show signs of stress. The frame on it is starting to bend a little bit. Don't use it unless you have to. A nice hydraulic scissor jack with the little notch in it is great.

It takes less time to place a jack stand next to the jack and raise the neck on it that it does to remove one lug nut. Cheap insurance. Even if you don't stick your legs under the car to change the tire, I bet your hands wind up in a spot where they could be pinched between the fender and tire if the car fell. Definately use them anytime you're going under the car, unless it's on ramps instead of a jack.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I use a jack stand to change a tire?