G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

My Busted G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desertG
This Monday, Halloween day, on my way to work I was rearended. Traffic came to a stop on the expressway due to rush hour traffic, and I was hit by a caddillac at approximately 45mph. My car was pushed into the trailer hitch on an F150 and did some major damage.

The impact was enough to break my driver's seat. I wonder if this is a safety feature, beacause I'm sure it absorbed a bunch of the impact.

My question is, from looking at the pictures, do you guys think it will be totaled? The car is now at the body shop, but I haven't received the estimate, yet.
To answer your question, no, it is not a safety feature. This was addressed in another recent post (unfortunately I can't remember the thread title) but what you experienced is a failure of the seatback hinge. While it most likely did, to some extent, absorb some energy in your accident, this failure can actually be extremely dangerous depending on the dynamics of the collision. With the seatback reclined, you are far more likely to submarine under the seatbelt and rupture internal organs. Volvo's have front seatbacks designed to travel backwards a few inches and then recline a few degrees (very slight) so as to perform the function of absorbing some impact force without placing the occupant at a risk of submarining. This is their WHIPS system. Similarly, Mercedes uses reinforced hinges to prevent this kind of failure, but other than those two automakers, the issue of seatback hinge failure hasn't been addressed, and it's a far too common problem.

Now I have a question. Are you sure the Cadillac was going 45 MPH when it hit you? There is VERY little damage for an impact of that velocity.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
even if you get it fixed, the value has depreciated a lot since it's been in a major accident. you can sue for lost in value or you can just have your insurance company buy you a clean g35 again

Old 11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yeah, i'm surprised none of your lights got cracked or broke. amazing...

Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
DId the bags deploy? i thought if u have extensive damage and the bags go, then it's pretty much totalled... since bags are so expenseive

Old 11-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by geioushi
Just because the frame is bent, doesn't mean they will total the car. My frame was bent pretty badly. In fact, my whole center console shifted from the impact (which was in the rear quarter panel passenger side right on the tire). Its not that hard for them to pull the frame back into place.
That's very true - but in the case of a bent frame I would fight tooth and nail to get it totalled. Maybe you guys disagree, but I woulnd't want to drive a car that's had the frame pulled straight. Just imho.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I sorry that happened to you, I myself was T Boned on Halloween 3years ago. Then I had my car fixed and it was not the same. Just thank god your ok.Its looks like about 10-12K in damages, if you can cliam it totaled and get your money. And make sure you sue the Caddi man. I dont think you have any frame damage but it could be possible.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:53 PM
thats no good.
A friend of mine just got rear ended in her g35x over weekend I think. SHe said suv totaled her whole rear end and the entire back seat was gone. OUCH! What about the back seat passengers if there were any? They would of been killed!

What the hell are u thinking infiniti? This car has poor rear impact rating. They need to work on that!

INcidently, now I got a call from my wife saying someone just bumped here g35x in rear. The damn car is not even a week old!

There seems to be some sort of g thing going on here. Do people hate the g35 that much?

Old 11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Lots of Gs on the road mean lots of accidents. I was PLOWED into myself by a drunk sitting at a red light, and I'm basically sporting a brand new rear end straight from the factory. $11K of damage and not even close to being totalled.

Only had the car for 2 months when it happened. The important thing is that everybody's physically ok. Sorry for having to go through this ...

Old 11-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Just my .02...If they don't total it, make sure you get it fixed and then some, carfax will show a major accident, which will kill your trade in values. Sorry bout the accident dude. I feel ya, Im in Phoenix and waiting for snowbird hell to start in full swing. I have had work done on a couple of cars, and I would recommend Chapman collision in Scottdale. I haven't been there in a while, but they do some good work. Also check out AZAUDI.org for other recommendations, it is an active board with lots of Phoenix area representation.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Geniusjustin
To answer your question, no, it is not a safety feature. This was addressed in another recent post (unfortunately I can't remember the thread title) but what you experienced is a failure of the seatback hinge. While it most likely did, to some extent, absorb some energy in your accident, this failure can actually be extremely dangerous depending on the dynamics of the collision. With the seatback reclined, you are far more likely to submarine under the seatbelt and rupture internal organs. Volvo's have front seatbacks designed to travel backwards a few inches and then recline a few degrees (very slight) so as to perform the function of absorbing some impact force without placing the occupant at a risk of submarining. This is their WHIPS system. Similarly, Mercedes uses reinforced hinges to prevent this kind of failure, but other than those two automakers, the issue of seatback hinge failure hasn't been addressed, and it's a far too common problem.

Now I have a question. Are you sure the Cadillac was going 45 MPH when it hit you? There is VERY little damage for an impact of that velocity.
I'm not exactly sure how fast he was going. He told me that he was traveling at that speed and didn't even have time to hit the brakes. I know, I was surprised at how little damage was done to the rear. There is far more damage done to the front end.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I spoke with the body shop today, and an estimator from State Farm is estimating $11,000 in damage. Having said that, the body shop guy said that he expects to find at least a few more grand in damages once they tear it apart.

Have any of you been through this type of situation. I mean, I'm pissed that I have to drive around a car that had major structural damage to it. Will the insurance company compensate me for that?

Also, for those of you in Phoenix, do you have experience with Precision Auto Body? Infiniti of Scottsdale recommended them and that's who I'm gonna use. They have been very helpful thus far.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You can try to have them re-imburse you for money you will lose on the re-sale of the car, but it isn't easy. I would really push for a "totalled" decision in a case like this. ~$11-13k is enough to total a $35k car, imo.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 AM
Sorry to see the damage to your car, but glad to hear that you were not injuried. It's sad to say but the car would never really be the same. I've had several other cars repaired after accidents and although they look fine they never drove the same again.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Total?

I totalled my G35 in the summer. It was T-Boned and creased the drivers side all the way up to the roof. I walked away and Allstate had an autobody shop look at it and a Allstate inspector also. After they removed panels and really got into it they discovered the shock wave travelled through the body and found hidden damage. The estimate was up over $18K-$22K and past their 70% of the value to repair. Look at the interior floor and how items attach to the floor and frame for shear forces that broke bolts or screw and caused warping or fatigue. My 03.5 was valued at $30K by Allstate with 29,900 miles on it. I hope they total yours, if not trade it in.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by desertG
I spoke with the body shop today, and an estimator from State Farm is estimating $11,000 in damage. Having said that, the body shop guy said that he expects to find at least a few more grand in damages once they tear it apart.

Have any of you been through this type of situation. I mean, I'm pissed that I have to drive around a car that had major structural damage to it. Will the insurance company compensate me for that?

Also, for those of you in Phoenix, do you have experience with Precision Auto Body? Infiniti of Scottsdale recommended them and that's who I'm gonna use. They have been very helpful thus far.
A month and a half ago I had to deal with this crap. I use geico for insurance. All my airbags deployed except one. It was a front end collision. The radiator was smashed in and it had a bent frame. In my opinion your car will be totalled. Are the headlights damaged? If so then thats 3 grand right there. If it isnt totalled. Make sure to choose someone that does quality work. I dont think the paint job they'll give you will be that great though. Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Busted G