G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help with Stillen CAI Box installation and price...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help with Stillen CAI Box installation and price...

I want to go ahead and buy the damn thing from performancenissanparts.com but they want $90.00 to install it themselves. Seeing as I cannot do anything myself (as far as the engine goes), can someone help me install it or tell me if the price is fair or not??? Another thing...my friend just got a short ram intake on his civic and it sounds so loud and obnoxious. (I know, I know...it's a civic...but I just want to make sure that the stillen is a bit quieter and meaner!) Last but not least, my car is a lease and I will probably buy it in a year or so, but will this affect my lease or any warranties BESIDES the parts that are being removed? Thanks guys.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the stillen cai will sound nice, i have one with a ztube on my car. not obnoxious more agressive, but dont excpet to see the gains they claim.

it comes with installation instructions and is pretty straight foward. the price you got for install isn't rediclious, good shops charge alot. but its a diy mod, no need for some dude to install it in 15 minutes and charge you for an hour.

goodluck

Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the Warranty, I called my Infiniti Dealer and asked them if installing a intake and intake plinium would mess with the warranty and they said it would.If anything happens with the car and they say that the intake has anything to do with it they dont have to repair the item.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
If you don't like the sound of the short ram in your friend's Civic, then I don't think you'll like the sound of any CAI in your G. The sound you hear is the intake sucking in air. I don't think that'll change no matter what car you have...

Old 11-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Ok well the bottom line now is...is it worth $180.00 +installation (if any) for the stillen CAI box? I have the z-tube...for you guys w/ both or who know about both, it is really a difference in sound and a little butt performance gain betw/ the z-tube alone and the z-tube w/ stillen CAI box combo??? Is it worth it?

Old 11-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I installed the Stillen CAI and Z Tube myself over a year ago. Since then, I removed the z-tube and put the stock one back on. I now plan on replacing the Stillen with the factory intake around 50K miles when I will need to clean and recharge the K&N filter.

Here's why:

a) I did not see significant power gains, except at high rpm
b) I lost a little low end
c) the main problem is noise. Most of it was from the z-tube, but with my HKS exhaust and high performance tirese, I've got enough noise.
d) value. My biggest gain was from the F-spec ECU reflash from Technosquare.

Regarding installation, the Stillen is very high quality and straight forward until you get to this crazy bolt on the bottom of the unit that must be bolted to the frame near the a/c line. I did it, but it was a major pain and involved removing the wheel well liner.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 PM
AAAHHH! I'm going crazy!!! lol. There are obviously pros and cons to everything, however, I do not want to suffer any loss of hp or torque for sound!? The p/c is bad for so. cal weather, the stillen is pricey and i have to re-oil it w/ the POSSIBILITY of losing some HP/TQ...decisions, decisions...

LAST and FINAL Question- Is the stillen (in a non-ricer way) loud enough to be heard from outside the car (to turn some heads)!???

Old 11-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
G-Pimp,

I've heard from several people in the past that the K&N drop-in filter in the stock box is just as good as the Stillen CAI, if not better. That's what made me forget about dropping almost $200 for the CAI and just buying the K&N at a local auto parts store. There is definitely a difference w/ the K&N; however, I don't think people from the outside will hear it (if that's what you're looking for).