Neither! 350Z.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all of you are wrong!

the 350Z is based on the sedan.

the sedan is the first car to use the FM Platform

Old 11-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Before purchasing my G, I test drove several cars - including Altima and Maxima... While driving the Altima, I told the salesman I intended to drive the G as well - he told me the G was basically an upscale Altima on the same platform.

I obviously bought the G and realized he was either completely ignorant about the two cars or a complete liar!

They are not the same platform.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the G35 Sedan, Coupe, 350z, Altima, and Maxima all share the same platform/chassis?

They might be built extremely different after the Chassis, but they share that same platform (Front Midship or whatever).

Old 11-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
I thought the G35 Sedan, Coupe, 350z, Altima, and Maxima all share the same platform/chassis?

They might be built extremely different after the Chassis, but they share that same platform (Front Midship or whatever).
NOPE!

Nissan Skyline, 350Z, G35 coupe/sedan use the FM platform---NOT the maxima and Altima that share a different front drive platform.SEE BELOW:

FM-Platform-rear drive:
That platform is called ``FM'' for the ``front midship'' engine
placement. Development involved many of the people who worked
on Nissan's Le Mans and Group C endurance racing programs, and
it shows. The lightweight, 260-horsepower V6's center of gravity is
behind the front axle line, for optimum weight distribution. Careful
attention to aerodynamics, including the underside, reduces lift at
speed, for stability. An extremely rigid unibody structure and
extensive use of aluminum suspension components aid handling and
comfort at all speeds. The wheels are at the corners, for a longer
wheelbase and wider track, benefiting handling, and increased
interior space.

FF-L Front drive platform:
The 2004 Maxima uses Nissan's front-wheel-drive FF-L platform, shared by Altima, the Murano cross/utility vehicle and the next-generation Quest minivan, and is built for the first time outside of Japan on the same line as Altima at Nissan's Smyrna, TN, plant.

Last edited by Texan1; 11-12-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyde
all of you are wrong!

the 350Z is based on the sedan.

the sedan is the first car to use the FM Platform
Okay, I got it backwards! But I knew the Z figured in. How can anyone think the G is on the Altima or Maxima platform, those are FWD.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 11-12-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know those are FWD...as opposed to our RWD cars, but the Altima and the G35 Sedan have the same interior dimensions/size.

Old 11-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
I know those are FWD...as opposed to our RWD cars, but the Altima and the G35 Sedan have the same interior dimensions/size.
So therefore they use the same platform? Is that what you are saying?

Did you not read my post--FM platform: G35/sedan/coupe, 350Z, skyline
FFL Platform: Altima/Maxima.

Where on this thread are we talking about the correlation b/t interior size and platform?

Old 11-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Seems like there's a lot of confusion for the folks selling these cars. An Infiniti salesperson at the Seattle Auto Show told me the G35 would be completely redesigned for 2008. Fair enough, but he then went on to explain that I could see the direction this redesign would take in the M35 parked next to the G's. The next generation G35, according to him, would be based on the M35 platform. Wait a moment, I thought, wasn't the M35 based on a G35 front-midship platform. Such circular reasoning hurts my head.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I hope this doesn't offend any "sales people" - but in my personal and professional experience, sales people will say just about anything to get the contract signed. To be sucessfull in sales you have to be a good bullsh!ter.

Many are flat out lying to get you to sign, others probably are just green and don't know what the ***** they are taling about. This goes for all types of sales, not just cars.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I hope this doesn't offend any "sales people" - but in my personal and professional experience, sales people will say just about anything to get the contract signed. To be sucessfull in sales you have to be a good bullsh!ter.

Many are flat out lying to get you to sign, others probably are just green and don't know what the ***** they are taling about. This goes for all types of sales, not just cars.
As a sales professional I agree that "sales people" do lie and b.s. to get the sale . . . why? . . . because they lack the skills of the "sales professional". The company or industry (of whatever product) is responsible for allowing these "sales people" to operate and undermine what is actually a very noble profession when done the right way.

In a nutshell, if "sales people" spent more time learning about their product, industry, competition, marketplace, and sales craft, they would approach sales in very different way: one where "closing" and "negotiating" consume the smallest amount of time and effort for both parties during the sales cycle because the sales work was done properly upstream in the sales cycle.

But I could go on . . .

Old 11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan
As a sales professional I agree that "sales people" do lie and b.s. to get the sale . . . why? . . . because they lack the skills of the "sales professional".
+1!

Old 11-12-2005, 10:59 PM
FM platform gen 2

Originally Posted by calejohnson
Seems like there's a lot of confusion for the folks selling these cars. An Infiniti salesperson at the Seattle Auto Show told me the G35 would be completely redesigned for 2008. Fair enough, but he then went on to explain that I could see the direction this redesign would take in the M35 parked next to the G's. The next generation G35, according to him, would be based on the M35 platform. Wait a moment, I thought, wasn't the M35 based on a G35 front-midship platform. Such circular reasoning hurts my head.
While I'm not sure this is what was meant, while the M35/M45 is based on the G35/FX35/350Z FM platform, the stiffness of the front end chassis has been significantly increased, which should yield noticable handling improvements. Those changes have not been pushed down into the existing models by my understanding.

You might think of it as FM gen 2, though by 2008 they may have more improvements to push into the design.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What platform does G35 Sedan belong?