G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x Stillen exhaust quieter than stock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well now I have a dillema. I was about to order the new Stillen, but is it that quiet?? Please keep in mind that I had an 04 Cobra with Borla Stingers and a Catted high flow H pipe, and that thing was loud. So if I get an exhaust for the G, I want to be sure that it sounds thouty and muscular, but not obnoxious. I do not want to install headers or high flow cats in the G. Do you all think that I will be happy with the sound of the new Stillen? I have not been able to find any sound clips of the new version on a G.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by brasil
Well now I have a dillema. I was about to order the new Stillen, but is it that quiet?? Please keep in mind that I had an 04 Cobra with Borla Stingers and a Catted high flow H pipe, and that thing was loud. So if I get an exhaust for the G, I want to be sure that it sounds thouty and muscular, but not obnoxious. I do not want to install headers or high flow cats in the G. Do you all think that I will be happy with the sound of the new Stillen? I have not been able to find any sound clips of the new version on a G.
Nobody can say for sure what'll blow your skirt up, but I'll betcha you'll like it. How do I know....? Because I get as many bad looks (god your loud) as good ones (god that sounds good) when I'm on the pipe. Stillen has never been known for being quiet and subdued...lol . UBC, jbx

Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys for your reports. I'm definately gonna buy it (once I save about a grand). My original question about being quieter than stock came from www.everythingg35.com. There item description about the exhaust said:

"This is a newly redesigned exhaust from Stillen. This part has been redesigned to fit the 2005 models, and the all wheel drive G35X. It will also bolt up to the 03-04 RWD sedans, just like the prior exhaust. This exhaust has a more subtle exhaust note when compared to the original exhaust, and still provides the solid horsepower gains you expect from a Stillen exhaust"

THanks for all the feedback though, definately appreciate it.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 AM
when they say "original exhaust", they are talking about the first version of the Stillen sedan exhaust, not your original stock exhaust.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:09 AM
hmmm so the new stillen sedan it sounds like the coupe's stock exhaust?

Just trying to get an idea how loud before I blow the 1000 bucks...

Old 11-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
Nobody can say for sure what'll blow your skirt up, but I'll betcha you'll like it. How do I know....? Because I get as many bad looks (god your loud) as good ones (god that sounds good) when I'm on the pipe. Stillen has never been known for being quiet and subdued...lol . UBC, jbx
Are you reading what I post? A stock coupe exhaust?.........huh? Uh yuh.....you got it....just add about 15 db's. Whew.......jbx

Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JBX, does the Stillen drone at all? I don't mind an agresive sound at WOT, but if I'm cruising on the highway at 70-80 mph, I don't want the whole cabin filled with noise.

Old 11-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by RichK
JBX, does the Stillen drone at all? I don't mind an agresive sound at WOT, but if I'm cruising on the highway at 70-80 mph, I don't want the whole cabin filled with noise.
I honestly don't notice much, if any. But, then again, some people still consider Rock N' Roll noise. Hell....I like hear'n my car's "heartbeat"....no? UBCool, jbx

Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lords47
Thanks guys for your reports. I'm definately gonna buy it (once I save about a grand). My original question about being quieter than stock came from www.everythingg35.com. There item description about the exhaust said:

"...and still provides the solid horsepower gains you expect from a Stillen exhaust"

i promise that you wont see the gains they claim. first off its an exagaration that stillen is famous for and 2nd on your x there is much more drivetrain loss. i dynod my x with pleneum/headers/testpipes/stillenexhaust and only saw 231whp.

also it drones like none other. if i could do it again i would do a custom midpipe around the transfer case with a hks muffler. i would have saved money too. but thats just me.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Bill, I was told by Stillen, from the get-go, to leave my cats alone. They told my it had a neg. effect on the on the output. Also, are you running the full cat-back system. Which plenum? I've been happier than Pam Anderson's baby, when he's breast feeding, with my set up. Drone....I guess a little at most? I'm gonna PM ya ...Cool? jbx