G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 6MT Engine Knocking Pinging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 03 6mt had and the dealer take a ride and listen to it. Every test came back negative and no issues could be found. Now my car is out of warranty so ill just have to keep an eye on it. I dont think I will casue any problems though. Its only a very slight ping. But it is there at lower rpms.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shaigh
My 05 6MT, with 8500 miles on it, seems to have a knocking or pinging problem. Whenever I shift into a higher gear, and the RPM in this gear is less than 2000, engine ping will occur. Not for long mind you, the sensor is definitely picking it up, retarding the timing, and the ping goes away. But it seems to happen relatively consistently, and has been going on for over two months now. Here is what I’ve done to troubleshoot or resolve the issue:
- Always use premium gas. The car has only ever had Chevron, BP Amoco, or QT in it, all of which are 93 octane. Chevron and QT are both “Top Tier” rated, and it has pinged on them all.
- Taken it to the dealer. The test drive with the service manager went well, he heard it himself going into third at about 25 mph, and agreed it was engine knock. They ran diagnostics on the engine, found nothing, and found no codes in the computer. They were unable to find anything “out of spec”.
- Given it a “beating”. After allowing the engine (and hopefully the oil) to warm up for the first 10 minutes of the drive, I drove the remainder of the trip to work or home mostly in first and second gear, spending a lot of time above 5K RPM, with full throttle runs to 7K. This was an attempt to burn off any deposits that may have formed that could have been causing the pinging.
- Changed the air filter. At about 7000 miles I installed a K&N panel filter. Still pinged.
- Changed the oil about 3 weeks ago (when the dealer heard the ping).

Searching the sedan forum hasn’t turned up this same scenario, as near as I can see. Any ideas or similar stories?
If it's not the gas, and you're not lugging the engine, the only other thing I can think of is that the injectors are dirty.
'Suggest' to the dealer that this might be the case, and he may offer to clean them.
G/L
C.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Are you guys maybe confusing a possible cam chain rattle(tensioner slack) with a ping? They do sound somewhat similar and is prevelant in M/T cars. Check it out....UBC, jbx

Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
I think that Shaigh should 1.) Have the temperamental knock sensor checked/ relpaced
But should it need replacing if it is adjusting the timing so the ping stops?

2.)Try switching 'up' in his brand of gas (or switch stations)
Don't have much else to go up to, but I could branch out to more stations

3.) 'Flat line' his ECU using the gas pedal method and pick up his driving style to re-initiate his settings to a more aggressive style,
I will try this after a few more (or at least one) unsuccessfull trips to the dealer. I'm in the camp that doubts the ECU will learn "driving style". I also have changed my style to more agressive, without luck.

4.) Try the injector cleaner.
Maybe after one more trip to another dealer. If this fixes it, I'd be surprised at how easily the car gained deposits.

JBX, as for the cam chain rattle idea, is there a way to determine the difference between the two, and would it stop after initial accelleration?

Thanks for all the ideas folks, keep them coming. I'll make sure I keep everyone up to date with my attempted fixes.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
If it's not the gas, and you're not lugging the engine, the only other thing I can think of is that the injectors are dirty.
'Suggest' to the dealer that this might be the case, and he may offer to clean them.
G/L
C.
I would think that this would be found during the engine check they performed, but I will ask more questions at the next dealer, including making the 'suggestion'

Old 11-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I am experiencing a similar knock ping sound on my 05 AT Coupe.
Could just be a bad tank of gas...keep us posted on any news you might find...I have yet to fill up again, and will do so with 94 octane to see if this makes any difference

Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dudefish
What I meant was, in low RPM situations, you do need to be careful with the throttle. Suddenly cracking in throttle at low rpms can induce a little ping. When I upshift at low rpms, I'll often not use any gas pedal at all until the clutch is fully engaged, and only then smoothly feather in a little bit of right foot as needed.
I'm sure my passengers would appreciate the smoothness also but I just have a problem with believing that Nissan hasn't perfected the fuel/air mapping on this engine at low RPM, ya know? I will suddenly crack the throttle to induce it to show someone what its doing, but it will also do it when driving/shifting smoothly.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Exclamation kNOCKING ALSO!!

Guys let me tell you that I also have the same problem. Took it to dealer 5 (FIVE) times!!!! No solution. They called it light load or light throttle pinging. I, on the other hand get it at various times and at various rpms. I usually race people at various times during the day and I'll hear it during all kinds of weather. I go to the first dealer drive the car w/ tech inside car, he hears the noise , he prepares the ticket i get the car back and they tell me they can't find anything. Take it to second dealer they reduce the timimg down to 14 deg. the pinging gets worse. They bump it to 16 and it is less, not gone. Same dealer then puts this engine cleaner in it used on the fx45(whatever that means) and the pinging goes away.... for 15 minutes. Just to give you guys an idea of what i actually experience : I'll launch at 2500 rpm . shift to 2nd and while it's climbing 5000, 6000, 7000 rpm you hear the pinging come and go but yet it still there. But some light pinging is "ok" according to the owners manual... go figure.. By the way I have a 05 6mt sedan...

Old 11-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
A little off topic, but why are there a bunch of advertising links starting to appear in our posts????????

Old 11-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
I am also experiencing this pinging with my 05 6mt... supposedly it is not even pinging.. they're saying it's the axle and the bolts are too short causing lack or lubrication or something at moderate pressures...?

Old 11-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by bythabay
I am also experiencing this pinging with my 05 6mt... supposedly it is not even pinging.. they're saying it's the axle and the bolts are too short causing lack or lubrication or something at moderate pressures...?
Huh?

Old 11-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Huh?

Yeah, there are several other posts disucssing this same issue...it's an axle problem (supposedly).

Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Luv to see the posts on that. Sounds so weird, but anything's possible i guess.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
Yeah, there are several other posts disucssing this same issue...it's an axle problem (supposedly).
Good . . . I am glad the rear axle TSB worked for you. I have posted that resolve a few times, now. You are the first person to confirm what was ailing my G.

Did they swap out your axle bolts, yet. I am still waiting for mine.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by andy2434
Good . . . I am glad the rear axle TSB worked for you. I have posted that resolve a few times, now. You are the first person to confirm what was ailing my G.

Did they swap out your axle bolts, yet. I am still waiting for mine.

Well actually I am not confirming, just speculating.. I suppose we'll have to wait for our bolts to get replaced before we find out for sure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 6MT Engine Knocking Pinging