G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Kumho tire in 05 6mt stock 235/45-18

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mk3gtr
You are obviously not very educated about the Korean industry. Samsung and LG make much better phones than Siemens. In fact Siemens money losing mobile phone division was sold to BenQ a couple of months ago. Samsung is kicking Infineon's *** in the semiconductor industry. Samsung and LG/Philips are top when it comes to LCD technology. German engineering is great, but the Koreans are making pretty good stuff nowadays.
Right up there with Kia................jbx

Old 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Just to get the discussion back on topic, both my wife and myself have kumho all-seasons on our cars. While my tires are so new I can't comment on handling performance, Cheryl's car is totally different from her stock turanzas.

Also, I was just talking to a guy last week that regularly tracked his 350z, and he had kumho mx's. Despire what C&D had to say, this guy swore by the tires as the best track tires he had ever put on his z.
TH, what exactly made you go Kumho? Just $ or what ya heard/read??? UBCool, jbx

Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
The Koreans are great for producing adequate duplications of existing products, but that's the extent of it. The thing that most people hate about generalizations is that there's usually a lot of truth in them . UBCool, jbx

I hate to take this thread even more off-topic, but I simply could not ignore what "JBX" stated in his reply.

It is definitely true that generalizations do have SOME truth to them. For instance, people generalize that Asian people as a whole are bad drivers because of handful of them truly are horrific drivers. But that is not to say that ALL Asians are drivers. This also applies to stereotypes such as White men can't jump, Black people are bad swimmers, Asians are all good at math, etc. You simply cannot generalize a whole ethnicity or culture to a few examples; doing so would be going on the lines of racism. And the last time I checked, Racism was a bad thing.

And on your claim of Koreans making adequate duplications of existing products. If you haven't learned, the Germans were NOT the first people to make the car OR the tire.

So, UBCOOL NOW. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
TH, what exactly made you go Kumho? Just $ or what ya heard/read??? UBCool, jbx
We *first* went kumho a few months ago. At the time, the wife had gotten a set of used coupe 18's with some extremely worn eagle rsa's. We *really* didn't like the rsa's. Extremely loud, lots of vibration, heavy steering, and a general numbess coming through the steering wheel. Granted, most of those could be attributed to the wear on the tires, but we didn't want them again if they would ever perform like that again.

We started researching tires in the 245/40/18 size, and kumho grabbed my interest at first for two reasons: price, and performance. I had not ever owned kumho's first hand, but from my brief flirtation with autox'ing over the summer, I had learned that kumho's were well respected performance tires, at least for autox'ing. So I started reading up on actual user reviews on tirerack of their all-seasons(granted, not the same tires people were autox'ing on), and they were very highly rated. Originally I wanted to go with the MX for performance, but the wife was more concerned with all-weather drivability, and treadware. Afterall, it's her car. So we went with the all-seasons.

We don't have many miles on them ( < 4k ). We haven't autox'd them. But from all indications, they outperform her old turanza's in every aspect. Period.

After I get my own set broken in, ran it a few times at the drag strip, and get to play with them in the corners, I can give a more complete review.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by green_destiny

And on your claim of Koreans making adequate duplications of existing products. If you haven't learned, the Germans were NOT the first people to make the car OR the tire.

So, UBCOOL NOW. Thanks.
hahaha pwned

Old 11-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
green_destiny good looking out.

I've gone through multiple sets of the Kumho tires and I like them lots. Personal preference. Who can argue that?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by green_destiny
I hate to take this thread even more off-topic, but I simply could not ignore what "JBX" stated in his reply.

It is definitely true that generalizations do have SOME truth to them. For instance, people generalize that Asian people as a whole are bad drivers because of handful of them truly are horrific drivers. But that is not to say that ALL Asians are drivers. This also applies to stereotypes such as White men can't jump, Black people are bad swimmers, Asians are all good at math, etc. You simply cannot generalize a whole ethnicity or culture to a few examples; doing so would be going on the lines of racism. And the last time I checked, Racism was a bad thing.

So, UBCOOL NOW. Thanks.
Mein lieber kleine 'politically correct' Freund, Nimm Dein kopf von Deinem Arsch. Kopieren ist keine Suende, aber sie koennen nichts anders. That's all I said! Hardly what you would call 'racist' ? Dammit, we were talking about tire quality and who produces a better one. If ya wanna get in a debate about the "who's who" of world engineering contributions....I'll gladly take ya to task and give ya an educational smack-down in the 'Anything Goes' forum where it belongs. For now, I'll take the high road and blame it on your youth and 'newbieism' . AMCool, jbx

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 11-22-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by Nickk6
hahaha pwned
Ya mean 'owned'? ..........heh heh,... hardly. not that anybody here could... ....ever . jbx

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 11-22-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Based on my experience, I would rather have a top of the line Sonata than a bottom of the line Passat for the same price. Just based on my personal experience with the poor reliability of Volkswagens. In fact, the reliability of BMWs is poor for an expensive car. Statistically, MB and BMWs have a lot of nuisance problems like electrical fritzes. I am basing this on large surveys like CR etc. It's one of the main reasons I went for a G. I just couldn't afford to have my work disrupted with car problems like I was when I owned anything else than a Japanese car.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
i dont know how many koreans are actually talking smack about korean products but tell you the truth, i've never had a single problem with any of korean cars/products. (i was born in Korea...anyways)
they are great but they are not top-notch YET.
as you can see on the market such as TV, samsung has a high quality and i am sure that most of us own at least one korean product in the house or with you atm. if you think kumho is crap because of its price, etc...thats just wrong. some of the tires are overpriced if you noticed.

also the big thing that i noticed was the driving skill. people in USA learn how to drive @ age of what...15.5~16? in korea, you get your license when you are 21 and most of people dont get it at the time due to low payments, etc unless you are in wealthy group. plus, back in days, women barely had license because of the traffic, etc. just a ridiculous thing i noticed when i immigrated.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by Mr. G
Based on my experience, I would rather have a top of the line Sonata than a bottom of the line Passat for the same price. Just based on my personal experience with the poor reliability of Volkswagens. In fact, the reliability of BMWs is poor for an expensive car. Statistically, MB and BMWs have a lot of nuisance problems like electrical fritzes. I am basing this on large surveys like CR etc. It's one of the main reasons I went for a G. I just couldn't afford to have my work disrupted with car problems like I was when I owned anything else than a Japanese car.
You're preach'n ta the choir Sparky.....I own a 00' diesel Jetta...lol. Thank god I can do all my own mechanical work. My wife and I put over 400,000 mi. on our old Rabbit diesel, but I've already had to do a major rebuild (head, piston,water pump, t-belt, rod, etc.) on this one @ only 100,000 mi. It's only taken Hyundai 15 plus years to start getting it right, and now that Kia's owned by them (Hyundai)....so will they. I owned a 'high-line' auto transport trucking company for over 15 years and can't tell ya how many "quality" (Euro/Asian) brands I had to winch, tow, push, pull, kick, or 'whatever' up on my carriers ('cept Porsche/Audi...for real) and I agree with where you're going. My problem is, that because I called Korean products "adequate duplications" I've been dubbed a racist? WTF? I've been lucky in life and haven't had to go the 'economy route' often. But, I'm sure those who have found good servicability out of these products. I gather you own a G........not a Sonata....right? Howcum....? Most likely for the same reason I don't....I don't have ta . Enuff, jbx

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 11-22-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
I appreciate your point of view and, for the most part, it's mine as well. That being said........yawn. Look who's on the 'soap box' now? Easy to get involved huh? Utakecare, jbx

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 11-22-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya can't just be pegging JBX as some sort of racist. I would hardly consider what he said as racist if that. Even if he did stereotype, so what? EVERYBODY has stereotyped some group at one point or another. Even if you thought it in your head it still is what it is. And if you're going to say you have never done it then thats a freakin lie.

Oh and yeah I met him in person before and hes a very chill guy. And it doesn't seem like he has a problem with me being asian at all.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm talking about cars and where they are made. Many of the German makes have been recently prone to mechanical problems. This is a verifiable fact leading to subpar ratings for BMW and MB for reliability among luxury makes.
Some of the Korean models have the top ratings in some categories for reliability recently. Whether they will have superior long term reliability remains to be seen. Many have speculated that this is due to infrastructural improvements in some countries but major problems in labor standards and yes, even engineering, in Germany. I think this is a valid and informative point of discussion for a car forum even if it is not directly G-related. Although I think this is one major advantage of Nissan/Infiniti and Lexus over the "ultimate driving machine".
BTW is being called Sparky good or bad?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Kumho tire in 05 6mt stock 235/45-18