G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

adding navi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cru, thanks. I am now looking at the Garmin Nuvi.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tl

Originally Posted by mhollinger
*shameless plug*
I used to work for the group at IBM that designed the voice system for Honda / Acura. There's a reason why that navigation system is consistently awarded "best" in its class. The systems do all sorts of noise cancellation and acoustical modeling, based on the configuration of the car (windows 1/2 down, sunroof open, 30 mph vs. windows up, sunroof closed, highway speeds for example). It just plain works.
*/shameless plug*

I suppose you could say a joystick also 'just plain works,' but that's like comparing an atari controller to a tablet pc.

We'll see what the 2007 system gets. The M already has voice, and I have a theory that Infiniti will unify the navigation across all of the cars as each is redesigned. Hopefully the voice in it will be comprable to the Honda / Acura system.
Hehe. Kudos to you, the tl nav is very very impressive. When i was researching, i couldnt understand the number of ppl on the edmunds TL forums who chose to NOT get the nav. I mean its the whole reason to get the car, and with end of year prices, the price delta for the nav around 1200 bucks... I felt like screaming in that forum that they were ripping out the very best feature in the car.
It just kills me that they had access to that nav and CHOSE not to get it... Id friggin kill for an integrated-voice activated nav in my g.

btw, the nav in 06 is pretty much integrated across the inf models, I have one nav manual which covers the whole inf lineup. Of course the means to access the same menu structure is vastly different, sigh.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by kki000

btw, the nav in 06 is pretty much integrated across the inf models, I have one nav manual which covers the whole inf lineup. Of course the means to access the same menu structure is vastly different, sigh.
Just wait until the 2007 comes up...

Old 11-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
let's just say word of mouth i know the navi system in the '07 will be a lot more advanced than the M and will include a lot of other features outside of navigation all to work together

Old 03-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Did you use the screw or anything for the disc mounted? I saw a screw in the picture,

Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
Here is a pic of the disc mounted in the cubby hole.

The only drawback, however small, is that it's hard to reach the lever to release the suction cup when you want to remove the mounting bracket from the cubby hole. There is limited space and my hand is too big.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by da mayor
let's just say word of mouth i know the navi system in the '07 will be a lot more advanced than the M and will include a lot of other features outside of navigation all to work together
This doesn't make any sense. Why would Infiniti put their most advanced navigation system into their entry level car and then let it trickle up into the other models?

Old 03-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JGFox
This doesn't make any sense. Why would Infiniti put their most advanced navigation system into their entry level car and then let it trickle up into the other models?
this makes perfect sense in bizzaro world where everything is reversed.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:14 PM
not to mention that the Coupe is the only infiniti 2dr, and to stay competitive they have to offer a coupe with top of the line navi, so it will likely be the same in the sedan and coupe thus it is not just viewed as an "entry level car"

Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by JGFox
I think it makes perfect sense. If they standardize the navigation electronics across the product line, then they ought to introduce the newer, better system in the first refresh model as many people are (wishfully) proposing.

I look at it as a costs and manufacturing tradeoff. Why have three or four separate systems that all basically do the same thing three or four different ways? You have to stock parts, maintain training, and do design around three or four different designs. If you unify the product, you cut costs, increase efficiencies, and deliver more value to your customer (assuming you pass the savings on).

~ Mike

Old 03-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by victortung
Did you use the screw or anything for the disc mounted? I saw a screw in the picture,
No screw, just the adhesive on the back of the disc.