G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Currently driving an 04.5 5AT loaner in place of my 03 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
FYI, my 03 is in the shop to get new brakes under warranty (hopefully), reprogram the TCU for the issues I listed above, noisy A/C compressor, rocking driver's seat, popping side front windows, noisy rear deck, and fluttering headlights over bumps.
Got my car back today and I'm certain my dealership (Major Infiniti- Kansas City) is worthless.

They got the seat rocking and A/C fixed, but that's it. My brakes were 2 weeks outside of the 3 year/36K warranty so no coverage. I bought the car used and the Car Fax stated the car was first titled on December 10th 2002, so I figured that technically had to be the sale date. Nope, it was sold on November 28th. The dealership "couldn't produce" the window popping, tranny shifting on the 1-2, noisy rear deck, or fluttering headlights. So screw it, I'll take care of the damn rattles myself (all of which have TSBs on them, which I told them). I'll have to fab something for the headlights too because the flutter over bumps makes me feel like I driving a damn POS 1978 F150 with a busted front end. As for the tranny shifting issue, I'll try my luck in Atlanta when I transfer there early next year. The 04.5's tranny I drove felt COMPLETELY different than my 03's. The 04.5 tranny shifted like a good GM tranny. My 03 shifts like a Lexus. I like some firmness, feel at part throttle.

They also charged me $35 to inspect the brakes. I could told them the brakes needed replacing and I don't need a dial caliper to tell me that. The front rotors are clearly worn. I told them brake inspections were the cost of doing business. They didn't agree. I didn't agree and told them I was disappointed in their service on this issue (having to pay $35) and I that I'm glad I won't be dealing with them in the future.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let us know what you come up with for the headlights. I haven't seen much complaining on that lately but I think most 03 Gs, even 04's, have the little vibration over slightly uneven pavement. I got over it ago but it's starting to bug me again. Fluttering = Cheap

Old 12-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
Let us know what you come up with for the headlights. I haven't seen much complaining on that lately but I think most 03 Gs, even 04's, have the little vibration over slightly uneven pavement. I got over it ago but it's starting to bug me again. Fluttering = Cheap
I'll definitely post something (with pics and parts) if I find a cure. The 04.5's headlights didn't have this problem. With the lights on and shining on my garage, I hit the lights with my palm and there has hardly any flutter. Basically zilch. The housing felt much more secure and solid. With my 03 and my friend's 03, when you hit the housing the light vibrates or flutters. Something definitely changed in housing frame/mounting points at some point in time over the year models.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Modded Member
Got my car back today and I'm certain my dealership (Major Infiniti- Kansas City) is worthless.

They got the seat rocking and A/C fixed, but that's it. My brakes were 2 weeks outside of the 3 year/36K warranty so no coverage. I bought the car used and the Car Fax stated the car was first titled on December 10th 2002, so I figured that technically had to be the sale date. Nope, it was sold on November 28th. The dealership "couldn't produce" the window popping, tranny shifting on the 1-2, noisy rear deck, or fluttering headlights. So screw it, I'll take care of the damn rattles myself (all of which have TSBs on them, which I told them). I'll have to fab something for the headlights too because the flutter over bumps makes me feel like I driving a damn POS 1978 F150 with a busted front end. As for the tranny shifting issue, I'll try my luck in Atlanta when I transfer there early next year. The 04.5's tranny I drove felt COMPLETELY different than my 03's. The 04.5 tranny shifted like a good GM tranny. My 03 shifts like a Lexus. I like some firmness, feel at part throttle.

They also charged me $35 to inspect the brakes. I could told them the brakes needed replacing and I don't need a dial caliper to tell me that. The front rotors are clearly worn. I told them brake inspections were the cost of doing business. They didn't agree. I didn't agree and told them I was disappointed in their service on this issue (having to pay $35) and I that I'm glad I won't be dealing with them in the future.
Sounds like a horrible service experience. Among all other problems, I would not pay the $35 "brake check" fee. I went into my local dealerships service department and was ignored for 5 minutes. As I was walking out the door, I wanted to mess with the service advisor, so I muttered something along the lines of a blown tranny, and he came running after me. Now he was interested in what I had to say. I told him I didn't have a blown tranny, but obviously my minor problems were not worth his consideration, and that I would be taking my business elsewhere.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Interesting to hear your differences of the two cars.

I feel that out of all model years, the worst put together are certainly the '05s. Creaks, rattles, you name it! Drivers seat slides almost an inch under hard braking/acceleration. Passenger seat shakes non-stop.

The '03.5 nad '04.5 loaners that I have driven (which I know have been abused before) felt much more solid. In terms of auto tranny's, the '05 has the best because of the [optional] LSD and the automatic revmatching, but the older models I've driven seemed to have much crisper shifts...
I have two noises coming from my car, its the rear axle and rear windows. Every single loaner car I have had has had noises coming from the rear windows (they just need the TSB to fix it). So I wouldn't say they are put together worse, especially considering they are probably still being built in the same factory.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:30 PM
I've noticed horrible sounds coming from the loaners. Early 03's and the latest batch of 05's are horrid. The one I just borrowed had a dash, console, rear deck, and window rattle. I had it figured out in 2 minutes only because I've heard them all already :<

And $35 brake check fees...? Excuse me but fukin check brakes for the courtesy of my safety and family's safety ~ I bought an Infiniti because I thought it was a Lux brand trying to compete with Lexus and BMW not for a chintzy ***** level of service and wallet molestation. Jeez

Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm surprised any dealers have 04.5 loaners... the last two I've had were 05. Anyway, I'm also surprised the TCU couldn't be reprogrammed with update/upgrade... DaveO had it done on his 03 (quite a while back) - his shifts are as good/quick or better than my 04.5 (he also has VB upgrade though). I've driven his and didn’t notice his steering wheel feeling thinner than mine

Maybe it's time to trade in for newer model?... Or wait for the 07!

Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 PM
I tried getting the TCU reprogrammed as a TSB at Major awhile back and they wanted to charge me $110 for it, to which of course I said screw you. They also won't replace my weatherstrip on the driver's side which is all cracked which they say had obviously been cut and Dave has seen it too, I think they wanted like $128 for that. Needless to say all my car goes in for anymore is recalls, and I haven't had to worry about that since the radio board.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Dammit!!! I want this manumatic tranny! Not because it automatically selects 1st from a stop and requires you to upshift all the time, but because this tranny rips off super quick shifts. That's the biggest gripe I have about my 03's 5AT, it's lethargic, especially on a WOT 1-2 shift. This is why I let my 03 5AT tranny do it's own 1-2 shift at the track and then I shift the 2-3. With this 04.5, I can hit the 1-2 at redline with no real major delay If I shifted my 03's like this at WOT near redline, there's a huge lag before the tranny fully engages 2nd. It feels almost as if 20% of the power is cut momentarily. I call it torque management and the 03 and 04 5ATs did this.

The upshift/downshift throw is also significantly shorter than my 03s. I've fixed most of this problem on my 03 by simply bending the metal "tangs" on the shifter solenoids a bit.

As for speed, it feels just as quick as my 03 with the Z-pipe (14.3@98mph).

Another frustrating thing is the 04.5 is put together better. It doesn't rattle. Granted is nearly a 2 year newer car, but it's clear Infiniti did add additional felt tape, etc to quell interior noises.

The 04.5's drivetrain feels rougher and the engine isn't as smooth. It's hard to explain. It's nothing horrible and I could live with it.

Oddly the 04.5's steering wheel feels thinner. This has to be my imagination though.

FYI, my 03 is in the shop to get new brakes under warranty (hopefully), reprogram the TCU for the issues I listed above, noisy A/C compressor, rocking driver's seat, popping side front windows, noisy rear deck, and fluttering headlights over bumps.

Let us know what you find on the brakes--need to take mine in soon for some persistent, somewhat loud brake squealing, suspension noise on a turn, rear window squeak, oil-change, rotation etc
also--I have gotten used to the light flutter--but if they help yours--let us know too.

what is the yr/mileage limitations for brake warranty coverage?

Old 12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Florida G35 Club
Dammit!!! I want this manumatic tranny! Not because it automatically selects 1st from a stop and requires you to upshift all the time, but because this tranny rips off super quick shifts. That's the biggest gripe I have about my 03's 5AT, it's lethargic, especially on a WOT 1-2 shift. This is why I let my 03 5AT tranny do it's own 1-2 shift at the track and then I shift the 2-3. With this 04.5, I can hit the 1-2 at redline with no real major delay If I shifted my 03's like this at WOT near redline, there's a huge lag before the tranny fully engages 2nd. It feels almost as if 20% of the power is cut momentarily. I call it torque management and the 03 and 04 5ATs did this.

The upshift/downshift throw is also significantly shorter than my 03s. I've fixed most of this problem on my 03 by simply bending the metal "tangs" on the shifter solenoids a bit.

As for speed, it feels just as quick as my 03 with the Z-pipe (14.3@98mph).

Another frustrating thing is the 04.5 is put together better. It doesn't rattle. Granted is nearly a 2 year newer car, but it's clear Infiniti did add additional felt tape, etc to quell interior noises.

The 04.5's drivetrain feels rougher and the engine isn't as smooth. It's hard to explain. It's nothing horrible and I could live with it.

Oddly the 04.5's steering wheel feels thinner. This has to be my imagination though.

Dave

Just so you know, You should check out some of the information that the manual has to offer. Just so you know there is a fix for your tran's. I just figured you knew it. I Guess not.
So what's for dinner tonight? Pasta

Old 12-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I know of the TCM updates and I got code numbers. I just figured they go ahead and do the reflash because of my compliants. I've got to back next week once the rear driver's placement door panel arrives (the perforated material was pulling from the door). When I go back I'm going to tell them that Infiniti America gave me the TCM update codes for the problems I'm having. I'm also bringing the TSBs for the rear shelf rattle and popping doors. I'm raising hell this go around.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Florida G35 Club
Yeah, I know of the TCM updates and I got code numbers. I just figured they go ahead and do the reflash because of my compliants. I've got to back next week once the rear driver's placement door panel arrives (the perforated material was pulling from the door). When I go back I'm going to tell them that Infiniti America gave me the TCM update codes for the problems I'm having. I'm also bringing the TSBs for the rear shelf rattle and popping doors. I'm raising hell this go around.
You got to raise hell,,,,,,, And knock on the right doors.
No way will I let anybody work on my car. You brave man!
Pasta

Old 03-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Hey Dave. I just got my car back for the following issues:
~Fuel filler recall
~Seat rocking TSb
~Adjusted Driver's door
~Normal 30k Tranny drain/Fill (Nissan J-matic)
~Dash clock dial TSB. They install a new clock with thicker arms.

But they gave me what I believe is an 05 auto Sedan. Coupe look alike wheels, new shifter, updated trim, dash, *clock is back lit! Way better!*. I like all the updates done to the interior also. Thicker trim, moved clock, etc.. all seems better.

My thoughts. This think hauls ****. The pickup from a stop is noticabaly faster. I'm not sure which is better on full WOT but it seems faster. With the TC off, 1st gear will spin the tires on even less than WOT. I played around with the MM mode and I like it. Shifts are very quick and firm. And the throw is like 2x shorter!

Brakes are also powerfull. They should be with the better rotors/calipers.

I know the 05s were rated at 280hp-ish but when I opened the hood, it looked like they still had the same engine. VTC on the intake only still (from what I can see). So what are the engine difference inbetween the 03/04 to the 05 Sedan autos? To me, there's definately a difference. Is the final drive the same?? Someone chime in, I'd like to submit a write up to the stickies.

I think I have the beginnings of a D-side tension/control arm creak but I couldn't duplicate it. I'll wait until this gets worse and have them do the TCM update? Anyone that got this TCM reflash notice anything different?

Old 03-19-2006, 09:21 PM
drive it like you stole it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Currently driving an 04.5 5AT loaner in place of my 03 5AT