G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Currently driving an 04.5 5AT loaner in place of my 03 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The auto not much was changed. Just over the years the auto got faster due to ecu programming and tranny. The other differences DaveO would be better to answer than anyone else here. He has record of all the changes per year.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hey Dave. I just got my car back for the following issues:
~Fuel filler recall
~Seat rocking TSb
~Adjusted Driver's door
~Normal 30k Tranny drain/Fill (Nissan J-matic)
~Dash clock dial TSB. They install a new clock with thicker arms.

But they gave me what I believe is an 05 auto Sedan. Coupe look alike wheels, new shifter, updated trim, dash, *clock is back lit! Way better!*. I like all the updates done to the interior also. Thicker trim, moved clock, etc.. all seems better.

My thoughts. This think hauls ****. The pickup from a stop is noticabaly faster. I'm not sure which is better on full WOT but it seems faster. With the TC off, 1st gear will spin the tires on even less than WOT. I played around with the MM mode and I like it. Shifts are very quick and firm. And the throw is like 2x shorter!

Brakes are also powerfull. They should be with the better rotors/calipers.

I know the 05s were rated at 280hp-ish but when I opened the hood, it looked like they still had the same engine. VTC on the intake only still (from what I can see). So what are the engine difference inbetween the 03/04 to the 05 Sedan autos? To me, there's definately a difference. Is the final drive the same?? Someone chime in, I'd like to submit a write up to the stickies.

I think I have the beginnings of a D-side tension/control arm creak but I couldn't duplicate it. I'll wait until this gets worse and have them do the TCM update? Anyone that got this TCM reflash notice anything different?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Im interested in the engine changes as well. I haven't gotten a G yet but plan on it in the next couple of weeks. I was planning on getting an '04 but started checking out the '05 due to the 20HP increase. Also what gives the manual 18 more HP than the auto?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure if there is a differenence between the 03/04 motors and the 05/06. I think the 03/04 were underrated and the increase in 20hp just reflects the change on paper.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Dave O should be the expert. If I have time I'll search his posts and try to dig it up.

Originally Posted by G35_TX
The auto not much was changed. Just over the years the auto got faster due to ecu programming and tranny. The other differences DaveO would be better to answer than anyone else here. He has record of all the changes per year.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Twilight35x
I'm not sure if there is a differenence between the 03/04 motors and the 05/06. I think the 03/04 were underrated and the increase in 20hp just reflects the change on paper.
If the 03/04's were underrated at all, it was only marginal. I've personally seen an 04 5AT Coupe(rated at 280) dyno right behind an 04 5AT Sedan(260); same dyno, operator, gear, everything. The coupe dynod right at 11hp greater(peak).

Granted, that's rwhp numbers, and not crank, but there was a difference on those two specific cars.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
This is a copy/paste from Dave O in 2003'. Someone chime in if it's still current. Alot of clues inside this post I think.

Other differences:
03 sedans = clutch type fans that my suck more power

Originally Posted by DaveO
A request... Would it be possible to reserve this thread for those who actually have the TS ECU upgrade?

Preliminary opinions:

1 - From day one the AT Sedan's were seriously de-tuned for "luxury" operation. Infiniti prioritized smooth, quiet, seamless operation. They didn't want their luxury car getting away from little old ladies on the way to their bridge games.

2 - The six-speed Sedan's stock ECU program and actual hp and torque numbers are very near the Coupe's. Recent MT Sedan 0-60 and quarter mile times seem to confirm this. The original AT Sedan's ratings were left for marketing purposes. Of course Infiniti can't rate their luxury sedan's HP & torque at the same levels as their "sport car".

[COLOR="red"]3 - The AT Sedan's stock ECU program prevents the throttlebody's butterfly from being opened too quickly or completely at times. Luxury power must be "smooth". The stock ECU program also closes TB Butterfly as the engine approaches the stock 6600rpm redline.[/COLOR]

4 - The stock timing curves are tuned to handle 87 octane gas. The air-fuel ratio richens up (detunes) the engine as the the rpms move closer to redline. Wouldn't want to hit the rev limiter.

5 - The stock ECU program adapts to how the car is driven. It's continually tries to put the car in the "luxury" mode. Keeping the car at peak levels of performance requires driving it agressively and resetting the ECU periodically.

Opinions after two days of subjective ECU testing:

1 - So far everything TechnoSquare advertised seems to be true. The nearest dyno is over 100 miles away in the LA basin, so don't expect dyno results from me.

2 - There are two TS ECU upgrade programs for the G35s. Both are based on modified 350Z programs. The one program has a richer Air-Fuel ratio for cars with Crawford's Plenum. I elected to go with the non-Crawford program for now.

3 - There's more power across the entire rpm range. However the engine's knock sensors still hold the power back below 3000 rpm, especially on hot days. The performance improves as ambient temperatures drop.

4 - The throttle response has improved at all rpms. No TB butterfly delay and no close off as the engine approaches redline.

5 - Theres more power due to the improved air-fuel ratio map. I actually seem to be getting better gas mileage at highway speeds. Of course, my heavy foot ECU testing is not doing me any favors GPM wise.

6 - Thanks to the improved timing and fuel curves the engine now responds more quickly across the board. To date there's been no pre-detonation in 100F, full throttle, high load conditions.

7 - The engine pulls much harder from 3000 rpm or so to the new 7100 rpm redline. The engine's top end power is much stronger. It also sounds great even with the stock exhaust system. I can now manually shift at full throttle and not hit the 7200 rpm rev limiter.

8 - The ECUs adaptive function is said to be much less intrusive. Don't know yet. Time will tell.

Finally, since the AT is controlled by a separate unit, the TCM or Transmission Control Module, there's little improvement in how the AT shifts. When in "D", my AT still shifts where it did... anywhere from 6000 rpm to 6500 rpm depending on how it feels at the particular moment. To get the most power out of the car I'll need to be in the manual mode and run it up to 7000 rpm or so. A TCU program upgrade is in order.

Well that my story and I'm sticking to it.

DaveO

Last edited by Jeff92se; 03-20-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Twilight35x
Isnt it the Mrev motor that makes the hp increase or is that just in the coupes?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:07 AM
mrev is for the 6spds only