G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just how restrictive is the stock muffler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godmans
that actually can solve the myth even tho he doesnt have an aftermarket muffler to comapre with.

Yet, by running without any muffler, he will get an upper bound of the amount of improvement an aftermarket muffler can bring to a G (Mind you that a reduce in backpressure will mostly only help HP but not torque, so if you get say 5hp in 6k to 7k rpm range from running without a muffler.. this can translate to an upper bound for the amount of HP an aftermarket muffler can yield)

All in all, this test is NOT useless
My thoughts exactly. Plus, I was thinking it would give some idea of what if any low end was lost from the reduction in backpressure. I agree it is not perfect, but it would be a quantifiable "start" in determining if aftermarket hi-flow mufflers are better than OEM.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by Endless G
From what i recall, i think the Y-pipe is the most restrictive, the resonator are quite large
huh??? I assuming you are talking about two different things here, right? The Y-pipe doesn't have a resonator.

As for the test being worthless without another muffler - I would disagree. This isn't about which muffler is the best one for flow - it is about just how truely restricted what you have now is. It is a gauge for people to use in their own comparisons. If you are interested in donating send a PM to Trey and I'll tell him to PM you my paypal address.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:19 PM
The resonator is in the mid-pipe. Actually, I think that is a more interesting question: What do you get by removing the suitcase sized midpipe resonator?

Old 12-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I would think to get the most reasonable numbers you'd have to retune after taking off the muffler, since I'm sure the car's EFI maps are optimized for the backpressure the stock muffler provides. Just taking it off and running it without a muffler doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Now trying other aftermarket exhausts would be better, esp since most people wont retune after swapping one in, so it'll be more realistic. but thats just my two cents.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
after the new year we all should check our local machine shops and performance shops to see if there is a flow meter available that will work on mufflers. I know that they are available for cylinder heads, manifolds etc. but I have never asked about a muffler benchflow tester.
You could buy several different brands of mufflers and compare the actual air flow to the stock mufflers.
THats not implying that a less restrictive muffler will induce more power but it may help answer the question

Old 12-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
And???? Where's the contribution???
PM me your Paypal address and I'll give you $10.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the greater good!

$10 from me too, what's your paypal address?

Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are the contributors so far:
jameyb - $5
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert03 - $10

That's a total of $30; almost there.

If you would like to contribute, respond/quote this message with your name. Once we have reached roughly $50, I'll send out my paypal address.

Next up, I've got to call the shop to setup an appointment. I'm getting MREV for christmas, so I don't know if I want my baseline (the one I'm paying for ) to include the mrev or not.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jameyb - $5
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert03 - $10

If you would like to contribute, respond/quote this message with your name. Once we have reached roughly $50, I'll send out my paypal address.

Next up, I've got to call the shop to setup an appointment. I'm getting MREV for christmas, so I don't know if I want my baseline (the one I'm paying for ) to include the mrev or not.
Hi Trey,
My name's Elliott. I'm not too much into mechanical mods as much as a few visual mods (billett grille, wheels/tires) but I appreciate your attempt to help out the community. Count me in for $10 also.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Staff Alumni
jameyb - $5
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert03 - $10
esfoad - $10

That's a total of $40; almost there.

Awesome. Appreciate the help guys.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:50 AM
jameyb - $5
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert03 - $10

I vote that instead of your car, you run this experiment on your wife's 5AT for my benefit. On a side note, it is somewhat strange that I don't know you from Adam and yet I know what kind of car your wife drives.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:05 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by jameyb
I vote that instead of your car, you run this experiment on your wife's 5AT for my benefit. On a side note, it is somewhat strange that I don't know you from Adam and yet I know what kind of car your wife drives.
ROFLMAO!

I told him that we should put up a list of the mods we were willing to do before and after dynos of and take up donations. He didn't think that was a great idea.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Staff Alumni
**Update**
We now have committments of about $140, if everyone below still contributes.

jameyb - $5
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert03 - $10
andycon - $10
DaveO - $50
friend with his srt4 - $50
total: $140
And I've got some more news. I have altered the planned test in an attempt to get some more information.

On Wednesday, the 28th, I will have my car dyno'd(regardless of if I have the MREV on yet or not) for a baseline. I will then have the muffler removed, then dyno'd again.

After that, Cheryl's car will be dyno'd for a baseline. The muffler will be removed, then dyno'd again. After that, my muffler will be attached to her car and be dyno'd again.

Between each set of pulls the cars will undergo a pedal-reset procedure.

So we have 2 cars and 5 dynos. An 05 6MT(revup) with and without muffler. An 04 5AT with and without muffler, and with an 05 muffler(it's my understanding the mufflers are different between the two model years).

We're getting all of this done for $275. If we receive everything promised so far, it's going to be about $135 out of pocket. Not too bad for some (hopefully) interesting information.

We will video each run, so at the least everyone can hear what the cars sound like with the various muffler combinations.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Wow, for all of that I will double to $10. Thanks, this should be some really good information.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just how restrictive is the stock muffler?