G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just how restrictive is the stock muffler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
**Update**
We now have committments of about $140, if everyone below still contributes.

And I've got some more news. I have altered the planned test in an attempt to get some more information.

On Wednesday, the 28th, I will have my car dyno'd(regardless of if I have the MREV on yet or not) for a baseline. I will then have the muffler removed, then dyno'd again.

After that, Cheryl's car will be dyno'd for a baseline. The muffler will be removed, then dyno'd again. After that, my muffler will be attached to her car and be dyno'd again.

Between each set of pulls the cars will undergo a pedal-reset procedure.

So we have 2 cars and 5 dynos. An 05 6MT(revup) with and without muffler. An 04 5AT with and without muffler, and with an 05 muffler(it's my understanding the mufflers are different between the two model years).

We're getting all of this done for $275. If we receive everything promised so far, it's going to be about $135 out of pocket. Not too bad for some (hopefully) interesting information.

We will video each run, so at the least everyone can hear what the cars sound like with the various muffler combinations.
Hey, I said I'd contribute $10 too. I'm still in if you want it. Have you posted the Paypal info yet?

Old 12-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**Update**
We now have committments of about $140, if everyone below still contributes.

And I've got some more news. I have altered the planned test in an attempt to get some more information.

On Wednesday, the 28th, I will have my car dyno'd(regardless of if I have the MREV on yet or not) for a baseline. I will then have the muffler removed, then dyno'd again.

After that, Cheryl's car will be dyno'd for a baseline. The muffler will be removed, then dyno'd again. After that, my muffler will be attached to her car and be dyno'd again.

Between each set of pulls the cars will undergo a pedal-reset procedure.

So we have 2 cars and 5 dynos. An 05 6MT(revup) with and without muffler. An 04 5AT with and without muffler, and with an 05 muffler(it's my understanding the mufflers are different between the two model years).

We're getting all of this done for $275. If we receive everything promised so far, it's going to be about $135 out of pocket. Not too bad for some (hopefully) interesting information.

We will video each run, so at the least everyone can hear what the cars sound like with the various muffler combinations.
Is there any way to dyno without the y-pipe? If you can, put me down for $20. If not put me down for $10.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, update. Here are the following contributors:
jameyb - $10
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert039 - $10
esfoad - $10
andycon - $10
DaveO - $50
SpyderTL+(friend in his SRT4) - $50
13bmx5 - $10

That's a total of $165. The cost is going to be $275, so that means we'll cover the last $110, which happens to be the standard cost of two dyno runs(3 pulls each), which means we are basically paying for the baseline, while the rest of the community is paying for the actual experiment. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Again, the tests will be performed at 1:00om central this upcoming Wednesday. After that, I will post a response with dynos, and if I can get the video hosted somewhere, video as well.

And esfoad, sorry to forget you.

And 13bmx5, I checked with the garage. Taking off the ypipe is going to be more difficult while the car is on the dyno than just the rear section, so the cost would go up substantially. Sorry. But I still have you down for $10.

I will pm each of you shortly with the paypal address.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Jp1
Where are you doing the dyno at??

Old 12-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay I'm basically just looking to move these out of the house now.

Stillen End-pipe exhaust for G35 Sedan - $215 + actual shipping.
End-pipe has small rash on the bottom of the tip about 2 inches long and is thin. Definitely not noticeable when installed. Still has plenty of shine!

Genuine Infiniti Rubber Mats (willow) - $50 + actual shipping.
Mats have only been used for for two and a half months. They are basically brand new.

Just got a new digital camera so pics upon request! PM me or e-mail me at Everybodywildout@aol.com.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, update. Here are the following contributors:
jameyb - $10
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert039 - $10
esfoad - $10
andycon - $10
DaveO - $50
SpyderTL+(friend in his SRT4) - $50
13bmx5 - $10

That's a total of $165. The cost is going to be $275, so that means we'll cover the last $110, which happens to be the standard cost of two dyno runs(3 pulls each), which means we are basically paying for the baseline, while the rest of the community is paying for the actual experiment. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Again, the tests will be performed at 1:00om central this upcoming Wednesday. After that, I will post a response with dynos, and if I can get the video hosted somewhere, video as well.

And esfoad, sorry to forget you.

And 13bmx5, I checked with the garage. Taking off the ypipe is going to be more difficult while the car is on the dyno than just the rear section, so the cost would go up substantially. Sorry. But I still have you down for $10.

I will pm each of you shortly with the paypal address.
No worries. Paypal sent this morning. Just didn't want anyone thinking I had reneged. Good Luck with the test.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 PM
My horns hold up my halo
jameyb - $10 PAID
DP03 - $5
DaveB - $10
bert039 - $10 PAID
esfoad - $10 PAID
andycon - $10 PAID
DaveO - $50 PAID
SpyderTL+(friend in his SRT4) - $50 PAID
13bmx5 - $10 PAID
Above is the list of people who I have received a paypal, check, or money from thus far. I also have 2 people who sent paypal money to me and I am not sure what your handle is here to match them up. Please PM me if you have sent money and I don't have you listed as paid. The initials of those names are E.G. and S.L. if that's not you then I don't have your money.

So pay up folks.

EDIT - found my "missing" people to match up names and payments with. Thanks for the PM's guys!

Last edited by trey's wife; 12-29-2005 at 10:27 AM.