G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Changing sedan clearance light bulb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope that's the case (that they didn't come out good on camera)...they don't look too bright.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Thumbs up

Well I received my LED's and installed them last night. Thanks so much for the instructions RXM.....knowing the process on "how to" makes it a LOT easier. It only took 10 minutes max. for each side! And getting the light back in wasn't as hard as I anticipated (luckily)....you just need to remember the angle at which the light pulls out of the headlight unit...because it needs to go back in at the same angle in order to screw it the 1/8th turn it requires....I think the hardest part was figuring out how to get the light housing back to where it needs to go w/ all the wires that are in there.

My impressions: I definitely like the look of the purer light...it seems to match the color of the headlights perfectly! I think the only part of the LED's that I don't like is the fact that it doesn't distribute the light around the side of the bulb (like a normal bulb does)..it's focused forward more. As a result of that, the light doesn't reflect onto/off of the reflective silver backing within the housing....so when you take a step back and take a look @ the front of the car, all you see is the piercing white light w/ a little bit of glow around it (LIKE IN THE POST ABOVE). All in all, I like it better than stock.....largely because of the color! Thanks RXM for the tip!

Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have changed my clearance, and fog light bulbs. The clearance is a little pain but I took the wheel and wheel well off and that made life easier for me. Not to mention I'm skinny so that helped with the small working area. I can't rember the exact steps, and I am currently overseas and away from my baby so I can post pics or steps. It doesn't take that much mechanical skill to be able to get to it. BTW I used the PIAA LED's for my clearance, they really compliment the HID's.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these the H4 Bulbs?

Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
Are these the H4 Bulbs?
Not sure what "H4" is, but the stock are 5W bulbs that you can get for $2.00 for a pair in Walmart. The LED's that RXM recommended and I installed are from Cardomain, part # PIA19263 (PIAA 194 White LED Interior Repacement Bulb)...for $22.95 for a pair.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
I have changed my clearance, and fog light bulbs. The clearance is a little pain but I took the wheel and wheel well off and that made life easier for me. Not to mention I'm skinny so that helped with the small working area. I can't rember the exact steps, and I am currently overseas and away from my baby so I can post pics or steps. It doesn't take that much mechanical skill to be able to get to it. BTW I used the PIAA LED's for my clearance, they really compliment the HID's.
Not sure if you need to do that for the fog replacement (I'm guessing you don't since it's right next to the clearance bulb), but for the clearance bulb, you DEFINITELY do not need to remove the wheel! Esp. if you're a skinny dude!

By the way....you obviously didn't remove the entire thread above, since you're asking me if if I want pics posted....I'm all set man...thanks.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:34 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
Are these the H4 Bulbs?

H4 bulbs are the fog/high beam lights.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I changed my clearance lights about 3 weeks ago and it really is easy as posted above. I didn't remove my wheel, but I did turn it toward the opposite side that I was working on. I also removed all of the plastic clips in the front plastic liner and the two screws.

To help guide the bulb back into the socket, I used a light stuck in the wheel well and looked through the front of the headlight to guide it back in.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
I think the only part of the LED's that I don't like is the fact that it doesn't distribute the light around the side of the bulb (like a normal bulb does)..it's focused forward more. As a result of that, the light doesn't reflect onto/off of the reflective silver backing within the housing....so when you take a step back and take a look @ the front of the car, all you see is the piercing white light w/ a little bit of glow around it (LIKE IN THE POST ABOVE).
jimmy when i bought my led lights they consisted of 5 leds in one bulb shining in all different directions. 4 facing all around so it is reflected and one facing forward. If i can remember the site i got them from Ill tell you.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 AM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03silverG
jimmy when i bought my led lights they consisted of 5 leds in one bulb shining in all different directions. 4 facing all around so it is reflected and one facing forward. If i can remember the site i got them from Ill tell you.

I had emailed Jimmy about other bulbs, like the one that you mentioned. Problem was, the ones that I ordered were loose in the socket when I put them into the clearance light. They fitted fine in the side markers though. So you have to be careful where you get the bulbs from I guess. I purchased mines from www. superbrightleds.com.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
mine were a little loose when i was installing them, they would flicker but once i put them in they were fine. Installed them in the summer and so far still working great.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys...I'll wait till if/when these burn out before getting those....

Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
One of my sockets was a little loose too and the bulb would go on and off, so I just pushed the contact blades together a little bit.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is crazy! what happened to replacing a damn light bulb!! is it regular peanut bulbs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing sedan clearance light bulb