K&N Drop-In Filter and Z-Tube

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2005 | 09:42 AM
It works on my machine
Mine seems to close fine.

Old 12-30-2005 | 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by EicarG35
Does your airbox close back snug after the K&N has been installed or does it seem as if the box doesn't close perfectly? After I intsalled my K&N, I couldn't remember if the airbox was closed snug before with the stock air filter, but now, even though it closes and all, the two pieces of the box doesn't seem to fit perfectly together? There seems to be creases on all sides of the stock air filter so I was thinking maybe it was just supposed to be squeezed in because with the K&N, right now it doesn't have perfect fitment even though it's closed with all 4 clips. Thanks for the feedback!
Definitely should fit snugly & close as it did before. Do you have the filter in backwards? Did you make sure the rubber seal is seated properly all the way around? Maybe take it out and re-install.... just some ideas.

Old 12-30-2005 | 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by SixFive
This dyno tetst you want has been done - in fact searching may reveal that it was done this month! And no one should ever put a Z tube on their car, for power anyway. The hundreds that have that I ama aware of did it for sound alone. If you want sound and don't want to spend the $75 for a new tube, just stick on muffler patch on the inside of the G tube and cover up the holes to the resonators. Works like a charm
I'm w/ you on this. Main reason for getting the mod is for SOUND (why I got it)...besides, even if there are small gains of 2-4 HP from a dyno, will people then feel that this mod is warranted for power & will this change their mind in buying it? I doubt it. You wouldn't even be able to feel the difference in HP.

Hmmmm...never heard of the muffler patch approach.....sounds like a good idea & would replicate the sound of a z-tube. Is there any risk for the patch coming loose/pieces going up the tube & into the plenum due to air induction/velocity?

Old 12-30-2005 | 06:14 PM
|
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Definitely should fit snugly & close as it did before. Do you have the filter in backwards? Did you make sure the rubber seal is seated properly all the way around? Maybe take it out and re-install.... just some ideas.
Hmmm...yeah that's what I was thinking too, but I checked the rubber seal and it seems to fit PERFECTLY, so I have no clue why it doesn't close tight. When I examined it more carefully, it seems as if the air box has grooves on all sides and the K&N fits perfectly in the space so the groove has no room to push into...maybe I was thinking I needed to push harder so that the groove would just force itself into the rubber part of the K&N.. hmm. This was since the stock air filter seemed to have crease lines on all sides of the rubber where the groove of the airbox would press into so I thought it'd be the same for the K&N? Not sure...and i'm pretty sure it's not backwards either...the part that protrudes more is facing you while intsalling right? Well hope to get some more feedback on this, not sure if I should just leave it as it is, it closes kind of okay, just not perfectly.

Old 12-30-2005 | 06:45 PM
hey guys im a friend of EicarG35 and i actually swapped the airfilter panel with him ... it seems to me that either the K&N filter is f@#$ed up (which is unlikely) or maybe the front portion of the airbox itself has misplaced itself while we were trying to install it ... does anyone have pics of how their airbox looks open and closed? also how did you guys get the bolt out that holds the support brace for the tube? We couldnt get it out for an hour or so, so we just said screw it and decided to work from the front half of da box ...

HEY EICARG35 LOL

Old 12-30-2005 | 06:58 PM
Hmmmm...never heard of the muffler patch approach.....sounds like a good idea & would replicate the sound of a z-tube. Is there any risk for the patch coming loose/pieces going up the tube & into the plenum due to air induction/velocity?
I used an Epoxy and it's been fine for a couple of years including 2 winters of parking outside.

Round spongy tire patches worked the best I believe. I tried it both ways.

Old 12-30-2005 | 11:53 PM
Wow...sweet. Very creative!

Old 12-31-2005 | 07:36 PM
hey for this install how did you guys get the support brace bolt off? it didnt seem to come off ...

Old 12-31-2005 | 07:55 PM
The link in thread #22 above is what I did to install & remove the support brace bolt....used a ratchet. Sorry..that's all I recall.

Old 01-01-2006 | 01:05 PM
fyi - a friend of mine has an 05 6MT and liked the way my car (05AT) sounded with ztube and power duct removed. So we did the same to his and it made very little diff in sound. Just more proof the rev up motors don't respond to mods the same as non revup motors do.

Old 01-02-2006 | 09:46 PM
There is a photo of an air box closed in here (not sure how this would help you though):

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/20881-air-box-mod.html

Old 01-03-2006 | 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by EicarG351
hey for this install how did you guys get the support brace bolt off? it didnt seem to come off ...
First of all, welcome to these boards, Eicar. Did you try either a 10mm nut driver or socket? Those 2 seem to work quite well. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2006 | 04:14 AM
|
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
There is a photo of an air box closed in here (not sure how this would help you though):

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20881
Thanks lol, yeah not really sure as to why mine doesn't close perfectly...when I get the chance I'll take a picture of it so you can see what I'm talking about. It's not that there's some huge opening, just that you can tell it obviously doesn't look as if it were closed perfectly with some small openings in some places. Since I couldn't manage to get that bolt off, I did the installation by taking off the front end of the airbox instead. Maybe I tugged at the airbox too much and it somehow shifted positions on the bottom so that it isn't perfectly lined up because from the top, I can't see where the problem resides.

Last edited by Asumis51; 01-03-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2006 | 04:17 AM
|
Originally Posted by andy2434
First of all, welcome to these boards, Eicar. Did you try either a 10mm nut driver or socket? Those 2 seem to work quite well. Good luck!
Yeah not sure if we had the exact same size as the 10mm but we did try to use some and they didn't really fit perfectly, either it was too big or too small. The bolt seems to be on really tight because we tried using pliers and twisting it as well and it wouldn't budge at all. Using a screwdriver gave the same result, the bolt's pattern just got screwed up and small metal shreds resulted and it didn't move at all.

Old 01-03-2006 | 07:38 AM
so does anyone know that this may be harmful for the engine or is it failproof...

im looking forward to doing this tmrw