G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OEM air filter SHOT after 10k???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Good article, though independent. I know a lot of folks will want to defend their particular brand of choice and that's fine. It's comon sense like indicated, more flow = more particles being able to infiltrate. Is that going to stop some of us from upgrading? Nah, after all K & N is warrantied for how many miles? If my engine blows up from haveing too many dust particles passing through my K & N, then I'll just sue them for a new engine (lol).
If you really want to keep using a k&n filter, you're better off applying a bypass filtering option to remove all those extra insolubles from your oil

Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
After putting on 10k in ~ 5 months on my 05 6mt sedan, my air filter looks like its ready for retirement...
Granted, filters look dirty - it's their job. That's really not too bad for a filter, to tell you the truth.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone got info on best price out there for the OEM air filter? Grubbs?

[EDIT] I just checked Grubbs, and their price on the filter is $10, but the S/H is over $12!! No thanks.

Last edited by Noremac; 01-17-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Noremac
Anyone got info on best price out there for the OEM air filter? Grubbs?

[EDIT] I just checked Grubbs, and their price on the filter is $10, but the S/H is over $12!! No thanks.
I've been researching this topic for a while now... I want to find the place the has absolutely the best possible price on oem filters and I want to buy like 20 of them... I also want to buy a bunch of the in-cabin charcoal filters.

Note that there are two options available for oem intake filters. The true japanese filter is red in color .. while the us counterpart is cream. I would opt for the OEM japanese filter. Has anyone heard anything about the denso filters?

http://replacement.car-stuff.com/par...howdc=true#top

Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I've been researching this topic for a while now... I want to find the place the has absolutely the best possible price on oem filters and I want to buy like 20 of them... I also want to buy a bunch of the in-cabin charcoal filters.

Note that there are two options available for oem intake filters. The true japanese filter is red in color .. while the us counterpart is cream. I would opt for the OEM japanese filter. Has anyone heard anything about the denso filters?

http://replacement.car-stuff.com/par...howdc=true#top

I had ordered a few from Grubbs a couple of years ago and got the cream colored filter that is applicable to a bunch of Nissans. They have worked fine and my oil analysis results did not how an increase in wear or especially silicon while using them. Since then I decided to just get a quality aftermarket and bought a bunch of purolator air filters. I haven't had one in long enough to know if it does better or worse than OEM. I would personally rather lose a HP or 2 at the top end than have the engine ingest more dirt all the time by using a filter like a K&N.

Last edited by boones; 01-17-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by boones
I had ordered a few from Grubbs a couple of years ago and got the cream colored filter that is applicable to a bunch of Nissans. They have worked fine and my oil analysis results did not how an increase in wear or especially silicon while using them. Since then I decided to just get a quality aftermarket and bought a bunch of purolator air filters. I haven't had one in long enough to know if it does better or worse than OEM. I would personally rather lose a HP or 2 at the top end than have the engine ingest more dirt all the time by using a filter like a K&N.
What about the in-cabin charcoal filters.. who has the BEST possible price on the OEM ones... are the OEM ones HEPA rated?

Old 01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Modded Member
What about the in-cabin charcoal filters.. who has the BEST possible price on the OEM ones... are the OEM ones HEPA rated?
You may want to try Gordgee's filter. Eric installed one in his coupe and has had great results.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Take a look inside the housing where the HVAC filter goes. The filter does not fit all that well as it appears designed to allow air to go around it, probably in case the owner never changes the filter. I'd think a HEPA rated filter would be worthless as the air will just take the path of least restriction. Also, since it was designed to fit loosely and allow air around it, putting in a tight fitting HEPA filter could potentially damage the blower motor over the long haul. The blower motor would have to work much harder to pull air through the filter. Also, the OEM filter does not use any carbon. I know there is a web store that advertises such, but no G35 I am aware of came equipped that way from the factory AFAIK.

BTW, if you are willing to go with an aftermarket filter, and once you feel the OEM one and see how loosely it installs I can't believe you wouldn't be, you can get aftermarket HVAC filters CHEAP. $12 bucks a pop. See here.

Last edited by boones; 01-17-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Take a look inside the housing where the HVAC filter goes. The filter does not fit all that well as it appears designed to allow air to go around it, probably in case the owner never changes the filter. I'd think a HEPA rated filter would be worthless as the air will just take the path of least restriction. Also, since it was designed to fit loosely and allow air around it, putting in a tight fitting HEPA filter could potentially damage the blower motor over the long haul. The blower motor would have to work much harder to pull air through the filter. Also, the OEM filter does not use any carbon. I know there is a web store that advertises such, but no G35 I am aware of came equipped that way from the factory AFAIK.

BTW, if you are willing to go with an aftermarket filter, and once you feel the OEM one and see how loosely it installs I can't believe you wouldn't be, you can get aftermarket HVAC filters CHEAP. $12 bucks a pop. See here.
I followed the link and the price has gone up

Retail Price: $22.12
Our Price: $18.99
You Save: $3.13

Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I followed the link and the price has gone up

Retail Price: $22.12
Our Price: $18.99
You Save: $3.13

Maybe it depends on your zip code, because I just tried and it's still $12. Here is a screen shot from 2 minutes ago.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 PM
what zip code should I use??

Old 01-17-2006, 03:04 PM
what zip code should I use??
my zip code is shown in the screenshot.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...Also, the OEM filter does not use any carbon. I know there is a web store that advertises such, but no G35 I am aware of came equipped that way from the factory AFAIK.
Not so sure. There is an official TSB notifying dealers about the charcoal filter. And judging from the model year applicability, I think it may be factory standard on the 06's.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Noremac
Not so sure. There is an official TSB notifying dealers about the charcoal filter. And judging from the model year applicability, I think it may be factory standard on the 06's.

Thanks for the link to the TSB, hadn't seen that before. Boy did they mangle that filter in the photos on the TSB.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:05 PM
It looks like that because 10k miles is an awfully long time to use the same air filter!

Agreed about the K&N though - an oil analysis on a car equipped with a K&N will almost invariably show more silicon. I'm hesitant about even the Amsoil, just because Amsoil plays so fast and loose with their "tests."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM air filter SHOT after 10k???