G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Strange Squeaking/Metallic Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Squeaking/Metallic Grinding Noise

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and just visited today after I heard my first strange car noise.

I have a 2005 G35 sedan with about 25,000 miles, and today as I reversed from a parking spot, i heard a strange noise and then on the ride home, whenever I accelerated a heard a squeaking/metallic grinding noise. It kinda sounded like there was something dragging in the front row(i checked and there wasn't) It wasn't too loud and occasionly went away. Also, at first it only occured when I accelerated, but later it occured even when I stepped on the brakes. The noise is pretty soft, and only audible with my windows open.

Could this be the brake pad wear noise, or something else? Is it too early for my brake pads to be gone? Any possible causes of this noise would be grealty appreciated.

Also, I live in Gainesville, Florida and the closest Infiniti dealership is in Jax, so I'd like to have an idea of what could be wrong before either taking it to a local repair shop or making the drive to Jacksonville.

Once again thanks.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Did you just have your tires rotated, or your wheels removed for any reason?

Old 02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Nope, haven't done anything to it since my last scheduled service which was about a month ago

Old 02-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Just checking. I had a similar issue with a couple cross threaded lug nuts and a loose wheel.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I have a '05 and every time I start the car I hear a very faint and short kind of grinding noise. I called the dealer (I have about 700 miles on the car) and the service dept told it is the ABS system does a self diagnostic test every time you start the car for about 2 seconds.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
greco65

The service dept is correct. My old 03 and my new 05 G35's do this just after at startup pulling out of my garage. It's normal.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:58 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ajsketchy311
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and just visited today after I heard my first strange car noise.

I have a 2005 G35 sedan with about 25,000 miles, and today as I reversed from a parking spot, i heard a strange noise and then on the ride home, whenever I accelerated a heard a squeaking/metallic grinding noise. It kinda sounded like there was something dragging in the front row(i checked and there wasn't) It wasn't too loud and occasionly went away. Also, at first it only occured when I accelerated, but later it occured even when I stepped on the brakes. The noise is pretty soft, and only audible with my windows open.

Could this be the brake pad wear noise, or something else? Is it too early for my brake pads to be gone? Any possible causes of this noise would be grealty appreciated.

Also, I live in Gainesville, Florida and the closest Infiniti dealership is in Jax, so I'd like to have an idea of what could be wrong before either taking it to a local repair shop or making the drive to Jacksonville.

Once again thanks.
Welcome, ajsketchy311, Sounds to me like brakes (specifically the low pad thickness warning).....and with 25k, they could be worn down.......-- It's happened much sooner on some others.
Best check to be sure.
So you had service done a month ago??? The dealer should have caught it then you'd think.

G/L and let us know how it turns out.

Colin

Old 02-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Premier Member

Sounds like the same problem mine has had since I had it new. Never found what it is. I found out what I can do to make the car do it at a stand stilll. If you have a manual, I went from 1st to R but giving it a little gas with the parking brake holding the car in position. It would make the noise for a sec then go away. But it only did it when I was in 1st the first time it wouldn't do it after that. I had to go to R do it and it did it, then go back to first do it, and it did it.

Got me!

Originally Posted by ajsketchy311

Once again thanks.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Welcome, ajsketchy311, Sounds to me like brakes (specifically the low pad thickness warning).....and with 25k, they could be worn down.......-- It's happened much sooner on some others.
Best check to be sure.
So you had service done a month ago??? The dealer should have caught it then you'd think.

G/L and let us know how it turns out.

Colin
I race my car and have 15,600 on my pads now. They have more than 3/4 life left still. I doubt its the brakes.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a classic brake pad ready to go. Don't wait any longer. The noise you hear is the metal sensor scraping your rotor. You don't want to end up having to replace you rotors as well!

Old 02-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Just took it in and it was indeed the brake pads, the rotor was fine, just the brake pads were worn down.

Appreciate all the help!