G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

weight reduction for best times.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BLKlthrNwood
Ive only been to the drag strip once with my 05 G35 sedan 5AT..I was not fully satisfied with my runs and was considering doing some weight reduction...I thought about removing the rear seats and removing the spare.. Is it worth the time to actually take this action.. will it make a difference in my ET, if so approximatly by how much.. are there any other easy ways to shave off some weight from my car...(best- 15.062 @ 94mph..2700ft)
If you really want to reduce weight for better 60ft times, just go on a diet and drive naked.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got to disagree with almost everyone here. I fully understand why he wants to reduce weight. Before I got the g, I had never drag raced, and never had any intentions or interest in doing so. After I went the first time, I became hooked. The single most effective way to improve one's time is experience. But one can only improve so far. After that, one has to modify one's car, which may also include weight reduction.

Weight reduction may seem pointless to the everyday driver, but at the track it has it's place. When you're fighting for just one more tenth, sometimes that's all that's left.

A personal anecdote: a few months ago, I did two successive 100mph+ runs. Then I had my friend ride along(6'2, 225 or so). My launch was practically the same, but my trap was 95mph. Just from a passenger. A part of that was my being nervous at having an observer, but the majority of the difference was his weight.

To the OP: the first thing you should do is swap out your midpipe for a coupe/350z midpipe. Some will argue that for 05/06 sedans, there's not much of a difference. Regardless, there is a difference, however slight, and you'll save a few pounds. Plus it's a cheap mod.

Next, and more expensively, you could go with a set of aftermarket hiflo cats. The stock cats are somewhere around 15 pounds each, and the kinetix(never weighed my crawfords) are 5 pounds each. That's a savings of 20 pounds.

As others have mentioned, run with as little gas as you're comfortable with. If you get too nervous, get a 2 gallon container, fill it up, and put it in your trunk. When you get to the track, take it out.

Also, take out the spare tire and trunk mat. If you've got a fullsize spare, that's close to 50 pounds(wheel plus tire). If you've got the donut, it's not much, but you're still elimenating weight. But take out the trunk mat, and the floor mats.

Total weight savings will be minimal, but every little bit helps.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree with Trey and I firmly believe that the 100lbs equals .1 seconds does not apply. Weight is all relative to the power and the weight of the car. Removing 100lbs from a 3000lbs is far more significant than removing 100lbs from a 3,900lb car.

When you're going for the best et/mph possible, why not do all the easy weight reduction? I'm not talking about removing seats and interior panels, just simple things. A lot of people in here fail to understand the significance of weight (especially large rims) and then they wonder why they're so much slower than others.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:45 AM
100lbs = .1 sec in the quarter
It's easier to find 100 places to remove a pound than one place to remove 100lbs.

Run with a 1/4 tank of gas to be sure the fuel pump stays submerged.

For a basic weight reduction without spending a lot of time:
Remove rear seats, spare, jack, floor mats, ash tray, empty glove box, pull plastic engine cover (This lets the motor run cooler, too), collect all the loose change on the floor, vacuum carpets, etc.

You can also drain your windshield washer resivor for about 10lbs savings.

Rotational weight > Unsprung weight > Sprung weight

Lightening your wheel/tire combo will net the greatest improvement.

EDIT: and if you're a fatass, put the fork down & hit the treadmill.

Last edited by Stroked & Blown; 02-16-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:47 AM
The passenger seat was quiet a bit too...
And that 6-disc...
Taking it out normally isnt the hard part, its getting it back together. Good luck with your runs.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickk6
Somebody removed everything from a sentra 1.8 liter I think. They had it down to a frame basically and it would do a 14 flat.
I saw this. There was a frame by frame of what they did and all the runs in between noting the gains. It was freaking hilarious.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Umm, those who say that 100 pounds = .1 second in the 1/4 mile needs to actually GO to a track.
That's so urban legendish it's not even funny.

Is that 100 pounds on a 5000 pound truck or a 2000 pound car?
Is that on a 600 hp car or a 120 hp one?

100 pounds may only make a .01 second difference on a high hp car
with 4000 pounds already. But it may make .3 second difference on
a 2500 pound Civic with only 120 horsepower!

It's the same mythology as someone who says 10 hp = .1 second too.
There's just WAY too many variable to make deductions such as those.

To the OP:
I wouldn't bother removing weight from your car to get ever so slightly better times? What's the point unless you are racing for money?
You car going to come back home, put all the stuff back in and then
can't REALLY claim to have a car that runs those speeds in everyday situations anyway.
Again, for competition...yes remove as much weight as you feel necessary.
Just for personal times to see what your car can do at the track, just remove your "junk" (cd holder, camera, Thomas Guide, etc) out of the car, and go with under 1/4 tank of gas.
This way you KNOW what your car can do in as it is when you drive it everyday.
Your better off just getting a bit more practice and adding some power to your car to get better times.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
100lbs = .1 sec in the quarter
It's easier to find 100 places to remove a pound than one place to remove 100lbs.

Run with a 1/4 tank of gas to be sure the fuel pump stays submerged.

For a basic weight reduction without spending a lot of time:
Remove rear seats, spare, jack, floor mats, ash tray, empty glove box, pull plastic engine cover (This lets the motor run cooler, too), collect all the loose change on the floor, vacuum carpets, etc.

You can also drain your windshield washer resivor for about 10lbs savings.

Rotational weight > Unsprung weight > Sprung weight

Lightening your wheel/tire combo will net the greatest improvement.

EDIT: and if you're a fatass, put the fork down & hit the treadmill.
Does the plastic cover really let the motor run cooler when removed?

You forgot to mention, besides the windshield washer resevoir, they can empty the oil from the motor, the coolant and brake fluid. I think those will definatley be a lot of weight.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Don't forget to keep your hair cut short. Every little bit counts.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take a **** and **** b4 you run to.It saved me .089 on my times