G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Final Drive Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Drive Upgrade!

I was told there is a final drive we can put on our Sedan's? What does that do? is it worth it ? does it help? how does it work? do u loose top-end?

Old 03-08-2006, 01:03 AM
you can raise the final drive ratio from 3.538 to 3.917, whic result in much better acceleration. Since the car is limited to 155mph, you prolly won't lose any top end. and really, how often do you hit 155 now?
However, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Your MPG will suffer since you'll be turning higher RPM at any given speed by maybe 10% (since the gearing change is about 10%)
I think it would be good mod, especially for the ever-present stoplight battles.
If it wasn't $800+ to do, I'd be all over it. Gearing is the first thing I change on my bikes becasue it's the easiest way to better acceleration.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:29 AM
So its a good mod? Who makes em for 05 Sedan? And how much do they run?

Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 AM
You already have a final drive. It's the gear in the rear differential that determines how many times your rear wheels spin for every revolution of the motor. A lower gear will allow the rear tires to spin more which translates in quicker acceleration. However, this also means you will be revving higher at all times and burning more gas. In the long run it also means you have slight more engine wear since it does more revs. I wouldn't do it unless you are serious about racing.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by 05Blk
So its a good mod? Who makes em for 05 Sedan? And how much do they run?
350evo is the only one i know: http://www.350evo.com/catalog/index....7b99660a54f029

benjamin

Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
with final drive gears, you *will* lose your top speed a little, your RPMs will be slightly higher at every gear (so, at highway cruising speed, your engine will be louder), and you *will* lose your cruise control. you may gain 0.1 seconds off your 1/4 mile time. there are many threads that discuss this mod, and it is quite useless IMHO.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by codeflux
with final drive gears, you *will* lose your top speed a little, your RPMs will be slightly higher at every gear (so, at highway cruising speed, your engine will be louder), and you *will* lose your cruise control. you may gain 0.1 seconds off your 1/4 mile time. there are many threads that discuss this mod, and it is quite useless IMHO.
If my car was on stick, this would be the first mod I would do. Gears change the overall drivability of a car, and who the fvck uses cruise control anyways?

We have had a couple long, very informative threads about the 3.9FD and people are split along the middle- some think it's the best thing since sliced bread, while others don't believe in its results.

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
What you guys think about Stillen's VB upgrade? Is it worth it? It shifts faster then a MT? Could i use tiptronic or it wont help? It helps me now on lower mph.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This mod isn't at all useless - it is however - not cheap and MOST beneficial for AT owners!

You will get more out of it if you mod your car more. More top end power allows you to benefit from what the gears give you.

If you do ECU flashes - and get the additional 500RPM at the top - you'll gain more than .1 in the 1/4 - and you gain more than that to begin with.

There are MANY threads on this out there - some VERY extensive ones under my username - so search and you can get VERY educated from those of us who are experienced.

Those who have only commented below and have not at all experienced the benefits themselves - have absolutely no say whatsoever in this mod.

It's like a having a 10 year old teach you how to drift....yea...rriiiggghhht!

Old 03-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05Blk
What you guys think about Stillen's VB upgrade? Is it worth it? It shifts faster then a MT? Could i use tiptronic or it wont help? It helps me now on lower mph.
The VB upgrade is great - a must if your going FI - worth .2 in the 1/4 at max otherwise.

If you do gears - the car will shift harder as well as it gets to the shift point faster the ECU accommodates and slams the shift faster.

It's pricey though - if you couple it with a torque converter - you can call yourself launch master!

It will only be faster than an MT if the MT driver can't shift that well - it's a driver thing!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Those who have only commented below and have not at all experienced the benefits themselves - have absolutely no say whatsoever in this mod.
Too bad that logic doesn't fly for the UR pulleys or the ground wires threads...Wheeeeeere's munchee?

Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS

It's like a having a 10 year old teach you how to drift....yea...rriiiggghhht!
The concept of lowering gears is not that complicated to understand. People have been dropping their final gears for decades, mostly for drag racing. I'm just saying, it isn't worth the expense and tradeoffs for the average driver IMO. If you like to race and already modded up the motor, then go for it.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
The VB upgrade is great - a must if your going FI - worth .2 in the 1/4 at max otherwise.

If you do gears - the car will shift harder as well as it gets to the shift point faster the ECU accommodates and slams the shift faster.

It's pricey though - if you couple it with a torque converter - you can call yourself launch master!

It will only be faster than an MT if the MT driver can't shift that well - it's a driver thing!
An excellent mod that I've done b4. Not on recent rides like the Nissans or Infinitis, but on previous rides like my Mustangs and Barracudas.
Back then, tho, gas was cheap (about 30 cents a gallon) so that wasn't a factor like it is today.

C.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick,

Just save up 5 G's for a supercharger, quit wastin money on these little nonsense mods bro.