G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OH NO! Mother's Powerball Ruined My Rim!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH NO! Mother's Powerball Ruined My Rim!

I am so upset right now...I have an '05 G35x and it was a beautiful day in Mass. today, so I decided to use the Powerball to clean my rims. I had done this before with no problems, so I didn't twice about using it (along with the special cleaner). I'll let the pictures speak for themselves - what can I do, if anything? The only option that comes to mind for me is to have the dealership replace this rim with my spare, but I would rather fix it and save the spare for when I really need it.

I am so depressed....

Attached Thumbnails OH NO! Mother's Powerball Ruined My Rim!-100_0678.jpg   OH NO! Mother's Powerball Ruined My Rim!-100_0679.jpg   OH NO! Mother's Powerball Ruined My Rim!-100_0680.jpg  
Old 03-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mkrzyzek
I am so upset right now...I have an '05 G35x and it was a beautiful day in Mass. today, so I decided to use the Powerball to clean my rims. I had done this before with no problems, so I didn't twice about using it (along with the special cleaner). I'll let the pictures speak for themselves - what can I do, if anything? The only option that comes to mind for me is to have the dealership replace this rim with my spare, but I would rather fix it and save the spare for when I really need it.

I am so depressed....

Ummm, Mothers Powerball is made not for paint. It's for alum/metal materials!!! Doh.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
^+1 - - as a matter of fact the ad in this month's Automobile says:

"...polish wheels, chrome, diamond plate, stainless steel and even plastic headlight taillight lenses."

From that I gathered that they're talking only about plated metals. Admittedly, they dont (unfortunately) specifically say that with regard to wheels though.

Review the verbiage on the packaging and your instructions. Maybe it's something you can take up with Mothers if there is in fact a loophole in the information they've provided with regard to the surface types that you can utilize the PowerBall on!

Just be thankful that its not a section of you wheel that is gouged out! Being that the surface is still smooth, you may be able to get the area repainted and blended very inconspicuously! I'd be learning toward that solution. helluva lot cheaper than a new OEM wheel

Last edited by kidtronix; 03-11-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Yup....

The fine print on the back of the solution is so tiny I never saw it...I bought it because it was advertised in Motor Trend and figured that what it was used for.

Idiot....(me)

Old 03-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Ummm, Mothers Powerball is made not for paint. It's for alum/metal materials!!! Doh.
That's what I thought as well, not for painted surfaces.

mkrzyzek, does your G have a full sized spare? You could swap that wheel out if so.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Spare Tire

Hi ABQ, yes I do have a full size spare so I can replace it. However, I was hoping to "save" it until I really needed it...but it doesn't look like I have a choice now...sigh.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi ABQ, yes I do have a full size spare so I can replace it. However, I was hoping to "save" it until I really needed it...but it doesn't look like I have a choice now...sigh.
Well, I would go that route, with the size of that mess, of course one other thing you could do, be expensive probably, but would be to have the wheels chromed, my '04 had the stock wheels chromed, looked good!

Old 03-11-2006, 03:51 PM
does this also means wheels that is clearcoat? was also planning on using it on my polished lip.....anyone had this experience?

Old 03-11-2006, 03:54 PM
well this is one of those times that you "really need it "

Old 03-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
The only option that comes to mind for me is to have the dealership replace this rim with my spare, but I would rather fix it and save the spare for when I really need it.
I think this is your best option, although I would check a reputable tire shop as the dealer may rape your wallet.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a problem with my wheel to so I replaced it with a spare. No, I didnot exchange tires, I replaced it with my new spare tire. I could careless about tread ware

Old 03-11-2006, 07:43 PM
always patch test on a not-so-visible area

Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The fine print on the back of the solution is so tiny I never saw it...I bought it because it was advertised in Motor Trend and figured that what it was used for.

Idiot....(me)
If you've got a full sized spare, use it and make the messed up one your spare.
You could try to have that rim refinished, but why bother? It'll do perfectly for a spare.

C.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Check out Rim Pro up in Tewksbury. They specialize in wheel repair. Never dealt with them myself, but I've heard good things.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Thank you to everyone!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OH NO! Mother's Powerball Ruined My Rim!