G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

When DIY goes wrong...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy When DIY goes wrong...

I recently tried filling my trunklid with insulating foam via shooter's DIY https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...hlight=dynamat

I got the right foam, I followed most of his directions, and after a day or so, it was all gravy baby.

But alas, the good times would not last.

A few days later I noticed this...

I'm thinking, crap I knew I should have taped off that hole in the reverse light, oh well I'll wait a few weeks or maybe til the semester is over to clean that out, and so I kept driving and bassing (JL Audio 10w6 w/ 500/1 amp in 4080 box)

Apparently bassing further perpetuates the problem

A day later

Ok, now I have to take them off and clean them ASAP

So here are some pics

Here are some pics of my VERY messy install, note to self, don't rush something like this in the future!

Taking the reverse lights off was VERY easy, just take off these two bolts, woops which I have already done, you can see the screws they screw on to

Here is the LEFT tail light, you can see the rectangle opening in the tail light that the foam went into

Here are the results

I know they are NOT perfect, but they look A LOT better now, and are only a TEMPORARY fix...this just gives me the perfect reason to change to the 05 reverse lights

You guys can only assume what I did after I cleaned the tail lights.......I added even more foam into the empty spots I did not get the FIRST time around!! hahahhahaha, idiots never learn Hopefully everything will work out this time or you guys will getting another wonderful pictorial.

Also, since I'm posting anyways, I'll give a short review of insulating the trunklid. The top of the trunklid is the only one insulated so far, its great! Completely dead when knocking, a bit heavier too. When I'm bassing, you can BARELY hear anything, no vibrations no thing!

Hopefully the rest of the trunklid goes a little better.

Moral of the story? Be prepared for both the good and the bad when you DIY!!

-Mark

Old 03-25-2006, 05:09 PM
wow, thats crazy!!glad it worked out in the end

Old 03-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loe G35
wow, thats crazy!!glad it worked out in the end
^^what he said

Old 03-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Yup, hopefully when I do that DIY on my rear mirror rattle problem there won't be any problems haha

Old 03-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Good save. Lesson learned.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:53 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dayum mr_ecktid! sorry to hear you had trouble! but glad you got it "cleaned" up

Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 AM
nice excuse for the 05 reverse light upgrade

Old 03-26-2006, 02:16 AM
yeah I'm just glad I didn't upgrade to the reverse lights before this mishap, if I had known they were only $50ish I would have gotten them a long time ago.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice save.. I will be doing this in the next couple of days. Do you have any other tips that weren't covered earlier and how much of a difference did it make with rattlin? Thanks,

Old 03-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I have the 05' reverse lights but I don't know if I like them better or not. They don't flow as well as when you still have the 04' outter tails. I'm not at home right now but if you want pics before you buy them send me a PM with your email.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
I have the 05' reverse lights but I don't know if I like them better or not. They don't flow as well as when you still have the 04' outter tails. I'm not at home right now but if you want pics before you buy them send me a PM with your email.
I agree, if you have 05 reverse lights, get the rest as well (if possible). Mix-n-match the two, it doesn't flow as well.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
The 05 taillights are 400ish, do they include the reverse lights? or do i have to purchase both separately?

If I have to purchase them separately, I'll just buy the 05 reverses right now and if I don't like the look I'll add the 05 tails.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by vrsc
Nice save.. I will be doing this in the next couple of days. Do you have any other tips that weren't covered earlier and how much of a difference did it make with rattlin? Thanks,
Ummm when you take off the black covering of the trunk lid, there will be several gaping holes in the trunk lid.

You'll be able to see the back of the reverse lights and you'll see a rectangular hole that leads into them, make sure you tape or cover those holes to prevent my mishap.

Another tip would be to leave the trunk lid open after you've finished, I was not able to since I don't have a garage. It should really help with the curing time of the foam. When I opened my trunklid to fix the reverse lights, there was a lot of uncured foam (still liquidy, it should cure and form a dry shell like a marshmallow) and this was like a week after the install.

Make sure you have AT LEAST 5 cans of the insulating foam, just spray in, let it expand, and keep going.

Can't quite think of anymore tips right now considering it's not finished yet, but I'll update this more in the future.

As for results, like shooter said in his thread, the top of the trunklid is dead! No tinging when you knock on it, just a simple thud.

I can BARELY make out a slight thump thump when I'm bassing pretty loud, it reall depends how loud you wanna play your music.

There isn't any rattling that I can make out, I dynamatted the license plate frame, so that doesn't rattle anymore.

I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

-Mark

Old 03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Aww man you had me worried... good job on backin up your mistakes !!! "Learn from you mistakes" as people would say

Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by mr_ecktid
The 05 taillights are 400ish, do they include the reverse lights? or do i have to purchase both separately?
The taillights and reverse lights are sold seperately.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When DIY goes wrong...