G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Front Windshield!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 sedan
Front Windshield!!!!!

Man, I caught a stone from a truck which left a small star on my front windshield. Didn't think much of it, and about a week later I have about a foot long crack on the windshield!! Is there any advantage to going through the dealer getting the factory glass replacement, or should I just go with whoever the Insurance company reccomends???? thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2003, 02:28 AM
Re: Front Windshield!!!!!

Living in Colorado, we have to deal with broken windshields all the time- so some words of advice- as soon as you get a star you have to get it "filled" or it will spread all the way across the windshield eventually. I've never actually gone to the dealer and ordered factory glass for one of my cars but I have defintiely noticed that the factory glass seems to be much stronger and resistant to chipping than the glass used by windshield repair places. I've gone for a few years without replacing a vehicles original windshield, whereas the replacement ones I've gotten, I'm lucky if they last a month without getting a star. Just my opinion/observation though. No hard evidence to back this up.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:42 PM
G35 sedan

Thanks Daniele,
I'm going to try and get the factory glass, and you are right about getting the star filled, I put it off one day tooo late.

Old 01-06-2003, 02:19 PM

i hate that! i have two tiny specs on my windshield that are actually small chips in the glass.. can't do anything about those

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 01-06-2003, 04:06 PM

Hi Daniele.. Where can you get it "filled"?

I had a star in my old car's windshield and went to Pepboys and they said they couldent repair it..

..pestilence..

Old 01-06-2003, 05:01 PM

pestilence, I think most shops that replace windshields can also fill in the chips/cracks. You might even find a shop that will drive to your work or house.

Drive safe, have fun, kick butt when necessary
'03 Emerald Mist
Premium/Sport/Xenon

Old 01-06-2003, 06:51 PM

Oh cool... Thanks for the info

..pestilence..

Old 01-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful and shop around. With my Mazda, I went to a place that does general auto work that did a noticeably crappy job on a small chip repair. The rate was $10 less than some of the others. He used a small bit to 'Dremel' the glass to enlarge the hole in order to inject the resin. Even doing so, the resin never completely filled the crack and left a very visible spot.
I went to another place called 'Crackmasters' nearby to ask if this was normal. The manager there told me that not all repairs have to be drilled out and proceeded to try to fix what the first guy had done. Looked 100% better than the 1st repair but still couldn' t get rid of the drill mark, and because he felt sorry for me ('cause I got ripped off?) didn't charge me. Needless to say, you know where I'll send my friends. Bottom line, go to a place that specializes in repairs, and it helps if you get a chance to see the work. Worth the extra couple of bucks. Most repairs done properly are almost invisible. Also get the repair done ASAP. If dirty water or dust get in to the crack, the chances of having an invisible repair go down. NOVUS AutoGlass gives you a sheet of 1" circles of non-residue tape to place over the chip until you can get there. I've used clear hockey equipment tape for this purpose. The guy that did the crappy job had never heard of this and told me he didn't think it makes any difference.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:26 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info gordgee... It would be redicilous if i small crack in a windsield became a huge one just due to lazyness.

..pestilence..

Old 01-07-2003, 05:48 PM

check wih your insurance company, mine payed for the repair procedure last time, they do this to help prevent replacing a whole windshield(minus deductible).